SCOTUS under Trump

I increasingly feel about ‘GOP voters’ attitude’ information the way Sherlock Holmes felt about being told the Earth went around the sun: it is of no use whatever to me, and I don’t want to hear about it.

Dems must get Dem votes. If there are too many assholes in this country, then hey, we had a good run. Not every republic lasts 240 years.

Yeah McConnell, let’s see how things look in 2020. Hope it was worth it.

Incidentally, the whole ‘Dems fear GOP base’ trope reminds me of an anecdote Shelby Foote told about Ulysses Grant in the Ken Burns Civil War documentary.

When Grant came east in 1864 a lot of officers in the Army of the Potomac pooh-poohed his record of victories in the West, commenting that “Grant never met Bobby Lee.”

At the Battle of the Wilderness, Grant’s officers kept stressing about “Lee’s gonna do this, Lee’s gonna do that.” Finally fed up, Grant said, “I’m tired of hearing about Bobby Lee! You’d think he was going to do a double somersault and land in our rear. Stop worrying about what he’s gonna do to us, and worry about what you’re gonna do to him.”

Cocaine Mitch calling someone else, anyone else, ‘clowns’ is rich.

Murkowski’s Twitter feed is chock full of people thanking her being so brave, doing the right thing, siding with women, etc. What??

murkowski? She voted no.

Also not the Onion:

I thought she voted “Present”, right?

Nevermind, I see she voted that way so her colleague could attend his daughter’s wedding. Or something. Seems a bit wishy-washy though, so she can claim she didn’t vote for or against him really.

“too ashamed to post”.

Haha, but who wants to deal with this madness.

It all comes down to what Republicans do with this authority they’ve gained.

How eager will they be to impose their views across the nation in retaliation for the coastal media that is against their values? Will they be content to revert to the states or use the levers of power for “punitive expeditions” into the Blue centers to make their power permanent?

I gave up trying to read all this thread since I left off last week. Needless to say, it does not disappoint. The level of bile, hate, and hysteria, it’s stunning.

So I watched some of the footage of Ford’s hearing today. Really looked contrived. The baby talk voice, the lack of details. Who knows what happened 36 years ago. Maybe Kavanaugh tried to get some, maybe she’s making it up, there’s no way to know. But it’s amazing how certain the left loonies are about it.

Well, at least we can see the end of legal abortion in this country on the horizon. I know, I know, women’s rights, etc. But just think: 20 years from now there will be millions of people who owe their existence to this day. Although they will never know. I mean, I know their mothers will never crow, “Oh yes, I wanted to abort you, but you know those evil Conservatives stopped me.”

You nailed it.

And environmental protection, workers rights, voter rights, and any semblance of the SCOTUS as a non partisan institution.

Go to hell.

I won’t read anything, but I’ll judge it! I see how you like your judges.

A personal insult? How thoughtful.

And that’s just ignorant. Middle class Republicans don’t vote to impoverish themselves, we vote to keep liberal losers from impoverishing us by taxing us and growing the government. This country is crammed with grown men who cannot take care of themselves without the help of the government. The men who can make their way in the world, who can get a handle on life, they have to support you. That’s not totally terrible, but having to listen to the needy call the shots, that’s a joke.

I read something like 1800 posts, I don’t have all day to read internet forums, come on, cut me some slack.

Anyway, I know how it works around here. I have to be quiet now.