SCOTUS under Trump

There’s a world of difference between the two stories. “I got into a fistfight and broke two knuckles” is a badass macho story. Yes, it probably sucked at the time, and the physical pain of the broken knuckles was awful, but the story itself in inherently one that puts a man in a good light from a traditional guy POV. It’s a bar story most dudes would repeat proudly, or at worst self-effacingly. “A man assaulted and attempted to rape me” is not that at all. The only positive view is that the woman is a “survivor” but even that is a fairly recent invention.

What jokes people make, and specifically the context in which they make them, reveals a lot about a person’s character. However, in tis case, I don’t think it’s anything you couldn’t already tell from Neal’s political comments, and specifically from his claims about Dr. Ford putting on an act, faking a baby voice, and so forth. This inability to empathize with – or even take seriously – the sort of trauma women experience is a fundamental part of what it takes to support Trump.

-Tom

I mean, I got my jaw dislocated in a mosh pit when I was in high school. I got over that shit decades ago. Did Dr. Ford even get anything dislocated in that encounter? No? Jeez, get over it, silly woman.

It’s weird that people don’t think Republicans support women. I just don’t know where that impression comes from. Here we have a Republican man telling a woman that she’s allowed to get over her trauma since it’s been years since the attempted rape. Totally supportive and win-win for everyone involved!

Comparing broken knuckles to a sexual assault is like Trump making fun of Ford at the rally in Midwesterly State recently. It’s just a distraction from

vote

Oh I’ll vote. I’ll vote at least 6 times, just like all the other leftists!

Don’t forget to recruit all your “illegal” friends! /s

Any other lefties get their SOROSBUCKS yet?
Busing in all these illegals ain’t cheap!
/s

Sadly agreed.

Yeah, how do I get in on that sweet action? ;-)

As the hypothetical father of someone who narrowly dodged getting arrested at the protests, I can say the check must still be in the mail. /s

Which is why the protesters are salty for realz now (per His Trumpiness’ Twitter feed). Now it makes sense! :snort:

Luckily they are accepted at every Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Costco, so I am set!

But not at Walmart, where all the Real Americans™ shop, so if that’s all that’s near you, you’re out of luck. /sadface

The ACLU sued on behalf of lawful noncitizens such as Eduardo Padilla, who came to the United States in 1966 as an infant and became a lawful permanent resident in the Sacramento area. He has five children and six grandchildren, all of whom are U.S. citizens. Padilla had two convictions for drug possession in 1997 and 1999 and served 90 days in jail in 2002 for having an unloaded pistol in a shed.

In 2013, federal agents arrested him for those past crimes and held him in jail for deportation. But he went free after the 9th Circuit Court ruled the “mandatory detention” provision did not apply to immigrants such as Padilla. He was released on a $1,500 bond because a judge decided he did not present a danger and was not likely to flee.

Legal immigrants don’t deserve due process and can be detained and deported “even crimes from, let’s throw a number out, 36 years ago?”**

('** stolen from the comment section.)

Yeah no, trying to rape someone is not the equivalent of a bar fight. They’re not even in the same ballpark.

I just got news of this on my Android OS phone, and it’s freaking brilliant:

That’s not comparing apples to apples though - it’s a good thing if immigrants have to fear false accusations for even being alone in a room with a valuable object, but it’s a bad thing if white men have to fear that. See? Totally different.

So awful. You get arrested and convicted and serve the sentence, it should be over. They shouldn’t be able to deport you 16 years later.

Really, if I was a legal immigrant but not a citizen, I’d really think about leaving.

Hmm, then it sounds like the policy is working as designed.