SCOTUS under Trump

Between these comments and her wild claim about being ‘bribed’ when voters offered to donate to her campaign if she voted no on Kavanaugh… it seems clear to me that Collins is going to ram this through eventually.

I would think if anyone rams it through it will be McConnell, and we all know he will attempt to do that this week.

I mean, I’m hoping that won’t be the case and they will take this seriously enough to interview Professor Ford and take her claims seriously, but we’re talking about the Republican leadership here. I’m imagining they probably sent Kavanaugh some atta-boy messages already.

Shouldn’t she try to understand Ford’s point of view and obvious conflict instead of “Democrats” treatment of the letter?

Collins on Al Franken:

“I did find the allegations against him to be both credible, disgusting and appalling and degrading to women,” she told host George Stephanopoulos.

This really puts things into perspective:

Collins now calls on Kavanaugh and Ford to both testify under oath before the Judicial Committee.

Mitch ‘Rammer’ McConnell

Jesus this is now a full on trainwreck.

I am assuming this was held on to so long, because the accuser didn’t want to publicly be dragged through the mud. And now it is happening, for better or worse.

I really feel sorry for the horrible stuff that is going to be thrown at her, and I can only hope that through her therapy and the strength of the relationship with her husband she can make it through.

This is literally a no-win situation for the GOP. They have to bail NOW. Whether his voted in or not, every campaign ad in the fall can have clips of her testimony, with X senator voted in this man to the highest court of law in the land.

Seriously, as much as I don’t want to give advice to the GOP, bail now, and quickly get another confirmation going. There were other candidates recommended.

But as we know, this administration has not been the “cut our losses and move on” type.

Not if they lose the Senate. But odds are they won’t lose the Senate. If they do, though, I can’t see Corker or Flake going against the will of their voters to nominate him, and all the incentives for Jones, Heitkamp, etc. lie on the Democratic side once the election is over.

Even if they lose the Senate- they could do it over Christmas, including a Christmas day nomination, there’s someone else they can railroad through.

Which would require at least one (or however many it took) Senator whose spot was taken by a Democrat to go against the will of the voters to ram through a nominee.

So, precisely the Republican agenda?

Well, as the GOP showed with Merrick Garland, they would never allow a nominee to the SC if there was going to be an election within the next year that might cause different people to be elected.

Wait, what?

the Senate doesn’t change until Jan.2nd. After the election Senators still have their jobs even if they’ve lost.

It’s pretty easy to imagine the GOP going against the will of the voters and ignoring Senate norms.

One way or the other, they will get a pro-life justice approved. They have to. Whether it’s Kavanaugh or another Federalist Society-approved (but less rapey) justice, it’s going to happen. Roe died in November 2016.

It’s still worth fighting him, but only to affirm society’s view on his actions (and also, to score some political points). But there’s no version of this story that ends with a moderate justice.

You should alert McConnell of this incongruity. I’m sure he will be mortified! :)

The Democrats should do everything up to and including leaving their toothmarks on the Senate chamber railings, but yes, in the end, odds are Roe is done.

Mentioned in a long conversation this morning on Morning Joe, she actually agreed to come forward, thus the sudden rush now to get her to speak in front of the house. Apparently there was some back and forth with her, and her apparent attorney before the decision was made to do this. There is also some confirmation that she spoke about all this to a therapist several years ago, and said therapist is backing her story with notes.

That doesn’t mean this will be great for the Republicans who grill her, however, because you KNOW they will put their giant sized feet in their even bigger mouths when it comes to carefully extracting the story of what happened.

“But, Professor Ford, do you think it would have been legitimate rape?”