SCOTUS under Trump

Yeah, The Godfather put “go to the mattresses” into the mass vernacular.

Yeah, it’s kind of like the collusion defense. There was no collusion, and if there was, it’s perfectly normal and okay.

So I guess we’re waiting for the fall back to so he jumped on her and tried to take off her clothes? Well, who wouldn’t do that?

Oh, I forgot the third defense: it was more than horseplay, but he was 17! Indiscretion of youth!!

“Your Honor, I will show first, that my client never borrowed the Ming
vase from the plaintiff; second, that he returned the vase in perfect
condition; and third, that the crack was already present when he
borrowed it.”

In other SCOTUS News:

This decision, following similar decisive decisions by the district court and court of appeals this week, means that effective immediately, anyone making more than $250 in express advocacy ads — ads that tell viewers who to vote for or against — must now disclose the identities of all contributors who gave more than $200 in a year. They must also identify who among those contributors earmarked their contributions for express ads. Because of this decision, the contributors for a major category of dark money spending this fall will have to be disclosed to the public.

This is big. But only insofar as people are paying attention.

Definitely a victory, which are hard to come by lately.

In Kavanaugh news, Dr. Ford in a letter through her lawyers said she will not testify until after an investigation is conducted. Since this is not a criminal investigation, that would have to come at the behest of the WH, and that’s not going to happen. If BK is adamant that he didn’t do this, he should call for the investigation on himself (just like Al Franken did.)

None of this will happen though; they’ll be a sham hearing on Monday, the committee vote will take place next week, go to the Senate and Brett Kavanaugh, 54, will be a Supreme Court judge.

Hell of a country we got here.

Good to see them enforcing what Scalia said they could and should.

Republicans have said if Clinton had been elected they were going to obstruct the supreme court nominee for 4 years.

This really is not about RvW for Republican legislatures. This has been a red herring. This is about turning this country into an oligarchy through a rubber stamp judicial system. It’s about coroprate interest and money over the individual. It’s about rigging the system forever so they will always retain power via gerrymandering. It’s about taking away the ability to vote for those they feel will not vote the way they want.

Republicans can’t win without cheating. They want to make sure cheating, bribery, payoffs are accepted government nomenclature. This is why Citizens United was so important to them.

Here’s something to think about. If there was an anti-abortion judge who was vehemently opposed to gerrymandering, corruption, corporate interests, and extremely interested in pushing green policy and fair rights/pay for all? Republicans would make sure he could never be up for the Supreme Court position.

You are exactly right.

Edit: They have won again. Flake and Collins stated Dr. Ford’s response is “puzzling.” Because they have no shame, lie with impunity and winning at any cost is the goal, Republicans will keep doing this.

Welp. We don’t get Anita Hill 2.0 style hearings, but I told you all that the GOP was going to push through no matter what. Here’s a lesson for Democrats: When it comes to getting their guys on the Supreme Court, the GOP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Their nominee could be a straight-up murderer or a NAMBLA chairman and it wouldn’t matter to them if he holds opinions that they value.

I don’t get this move. Ford is already getting the death threats and other terrible things that unfortunately come with being a known victim in our current awful culture. That’s not going to get significantly worse because of one day of testifying in front of a Senate committee. She and her lawyers have to know that refusing to testify pending an investigation is tantamount to giving up, since no one in power will actually proceed with an investigation. I wonder if there’s some behind-the-scenes arm-twisting going on that forced this move.

Because that’s regular order. A new detail emerges, the WH requests the FBI re-open a background investigation. That happened with Anita Hill. The FBI is really good at this, it’s what they do. The gather as much information as possible to prevent the hearing from simply becoming a he said/she said affair - which is what Republicans want. For BK defenders, they should want this too - it’s called due process.

There is a 99% chance that no Republican on the committee will believe her. There will be no investigation – just endless coverage her being called a liar or “mixed-up” by the people who run the country. That absolutely will make her more of a target for extremists and whack-jobs.

It’s obviously a trap. Why would she walk into it?

I guess I can see that, but it seems incredibly naive that anyone would think this administration (or Senate leadership) would actually follow regular order if it’s not completely to their own advantage.

She already did, right? She’s stepped into the public eye already, made herself a target with the accusations. (Whether that was her original intent or not.) So what’s a few more hours of Republicans calling her a liar? That’s happening in the Twitters of the world anyway, and if you do it in a Senate chamber then you at least have a chance of convincing Flake or Collins or whoever else might have a bit of spine.

Exactly this. Due process is important, and it should scare Republican senators looking to confirm this judge to a lifetime position. If the FBI does perform an additional background check, and finds this to be credible, or if god forbid another accuser comes forward, it will look extremely bad that they hastily approved this nominee. Is it worth the risk? How much do you trust Brett Kavanaugh?

Not really. She wanted to remain anonymous. Somehow a reporter found out her identity, and after that decided to go public because she was going to get revealed without her consent.

Probably. I guess there should be a rule - always expect the Republicans to do the worst thing in any situation and act accordingly.