SCOTUS under Trump

What? The win is that they get a lifetime court appointment.

You and the letter too funny. How do you explain the 200 women who signed a letter supporting Professor Ford in even less time than the 65 supporting the Judge?

You’re confusing the GOP with somebody with any principles whatsoever. They don’t care about this in the least.

And, I suspect they know they’re about as boned as it’s possible to be with the female voting segment, so choo-choo-full steam ahead it is.

Feinstein and/or her staff leaked the Ford’s name once it become obvious that an anonymous accusation wasn’t going to matter.

I mean you guys keep saying that but Trump won white women pretty handily…

I just meant the floor is where it is already. Trump voters, regardless of gender, clearly aren’t concerned about a history of sexual assault.

And they still love* him too!

*I mean, majority disapprove overall, but not by very much.

That is not how the people heard about it back in the 80s at school. ;) To be clear, what was being talked about above wasn’t the letter supporting Kavanaugh, or the letter supporting Ford. It was a Facebook post by a former Holton Arms student from that time period that said the incident was being talked about at school at the time.

Exactly. Any seat that they might lose in 2018 and 2020 can be won back in 2022 or 2024 or 2026 or 2028 or 2030, but court appointment will likely last much longer than that.

Ah ok I was confused.

Except we know they don’t care about that ‘principle’, they only invented it for that occasion.

To their credit, though, they always admitted there was no principle except “Democratic presidents don’t get to appoint SC judges”. Even at the time they said they’d hold the seat open for four years if Hillary was elected.

After some thought and fighting back the usual rage aneurysm, I’ve concluded I hope Dr. Ford testifies Monday. Yes, it’s a sham, and yes we already know the Republicans won’t believe her. But I think it’s important she tells her story.

This Slate piece cemented this feeling I’ve drifted toward all day. As an aside, I think Democrats are going to need to find better political operatives and strategists in the future. They (we) always get caught up in process and the indignity of how unfairly Republicans play the game. It’s past time I think to play a different game.

More about the second guy in the room, Mark Judge.

I read that Slate article and I confess I’m hard-pressed to understand what Jim Newell thinks ‘Democrats’ are doing wrong or what they should be doing instead. Or, for that matter, who ‘Democrats’ are in that analysis.

He says Republicans played a game with procedure, hoping that Democrats would complain about the procedure. He says Democrats had to complain about procedure, because it was bad. He says they did complain about procedure, which means they fell into the ‘procedure trap’. Apparently this demonstrates their inadequacy, though he can’t be bothered to say what else they should have done.

On the Ford allegations, he says Republicans don’t want her to testify (everyone knows this), that Republicans have therefore rigged an agenda which makes it unappealing for her to testify (everyone knows this), that this is another procedure trap (uh oh, danger!), and that Democrats have fallen for it again. How they have fallen for it, or what they should do differently, is apparently so transparently plain and clear that he need not even mention it.

He says Ford should ask for more time to investigate and prepare etc, apparently out of total ignorance of the fact that this is in effect what Ford has done. He says that she should testify next week anyway because apparently he doesn’t grasp that this is yet another trap set by Republicans and that they’ll use such a hearing, with no other information or witnesses, to turn the whole thing into a sad story about how confused she is and then confirm Kavanaugh anyway.

You could build a house from the mountains of articles published on Slate over the years, the thesis of which is simply the leftists are dumb LOL we need better ones, of which this seems to be only the latest installment.

By pointing out that it’s a general letter of support from alumni of all ages almost none of whom claim to know Ford or to have been classmates of hers, and that it didn’t in fact take less time, but more time…

I was about half way through an explanation of why I thought it was a losing scenario when it dawned on me, you’re right. None of this matters. Not for Trump. It’s a win. Either he gets this appointment, or one voted if Kavanaugh misses the mark.

The side-argument was about the GOP, losing seats in the house and senate and losing even more of the female vote for mid-terms by continuing their mindset of minimizing the female voice and argument. I’m still of the opinion the GOP loses by minimizing Ford’s voice, but we won’t know until after the elections. Even then, we’ll probably never know how big of an issue it was, or wasn’t.

And I turned me reflection back on myself and confirm, that is 100% me looking at it through my Democratic glasses. You’re right, it doesn’t matter, what Trump wants is someone who will vote in favor of his ideals, and quite possibly vote to ensure he is able to remain in office and without legal trouble.

I don’t normally read Slate, so I wouldn’t know what their angle is.

With the Mueller problem, Democratic leaders were talking about protecting the process, while trumpster fire kept blabbing about the deep state conspiracy. The latter was actually working (in terms of public approval) until the guilty pleas started getting handed out

The general public isn’t going to care about process. With regards to the BK nomination, they talked about documents being withheld. That doesn’t’ seem terribly effective, maybe instead something like “what they are hiding?” over and over again. And after the letter came out, what I heard from the talking heads is “Democratic dirty tricks” and “last minute stunts” which is all bullshit of course. I don’t know, effective messaging for a stupid American electorate just doesn’t seem to be a strong suit for Democrats.

Wow, ok, Mark Judge is a nut job. No wonder he doesn’t want to testify. And does this article about the teacher he defended sound familiar or what?