SCOTUS under Trump

I’m generally favorably disposed to articles which say ‘Democrats are stupid for doing / not doing X’ because Democrats do a lot of stupid things. Making a deal to approve several dozen Trump judicial appointees as a block was stupid, and Democrats shouldn’t do that stuff.

This article, though, strikes me as pointless whining about the inescapable fact that in this situation Democrats have no power at all.

Kavanaugh is the most unpopular nominee since (I think) Bork, and he is so in a large part because of the good work Democrats have done to oppose his nomination.

The polls also show the public very much on the side of the Mueller investigation, which doesn’t really indicate that the Democrats have bungled the job there either.

And that poll was conducted before the sexual assault allegations came to light.

It started before that, but ran a week so the allegations came out while the poll was being conducted. So the respondents from the beginning of the poll did not have the info, whereas other responders polled at the tail end may have had that information.

With special savagery for Grassley spits

Sounding more and more like Ford may testify.

Apparently they are saying not Monday though, so I imagine the Republicans will just shrug this off and go ahead with their plans.

Unless a drunken friend jumps onto the bed too, then that might throw a wrench into the plan.

For anyone looking to clerk for him at the SC:

I look a bit like Right Said Fred, so I’m still in with a shot.

Out of curiosity, is there any evidence that the GOP even cares what the voters want? I mean, those polls referenced up above that say more voters oppose than support and all that are all very well and good, but do they even matter? It seems to me that the GOP has absolutely zero interest in what their constituents want, and go to great lengths to avoid interacting with them so they don’t have to answer for it.

I mean, I’d like to think that polls showing how little support Kavanugh has are a positive thing, but I haven’t really seen any evidence that it will make any difference at all. :/

Narrator: It will not.

They care about what rich voters want. That’s something, I guess.

And rich voters want what the GOP wants. More money. Ways to steal it. Ways to hide it. Normal everyday things.

This seems like a first, not that it will make a bit of difference: