Screw force feedback!

Remote control humans!

This sort of electrical stimulation is known as galvanic vestibular stimulation, or GVS. When a weak DC current is delivered to the mastoid behind your ear, your body responds by shifting your balance toward the anode. The stronger the current, the more powerful its pull. If it is strong enough, it not only throws you off balance but alters the course of your movement.

The most persuasive commercial applications of Maeda’s GVS device will most likely be in gaming; researchers put together a crude virtual racing game to demonstrate how GVS heightened the perception of centrifugal force as users watch the car wind its way around the track on a video screen. Manabu Sakurai, NTT’s marketing manager, says the company is currently investigating whether or not gamers would be interested in the device. Flight simulators are another area of interest.

http://www.forbes.com/business/innovators/2005/08/04/technology-remote-control-humans_cx_lh_0804remotehuman.html

The potential applications for this in gaming are awesome. I hope to see this technology take off on a large scale. Of course, there are a few potential problems… I’d imagine that there’s probably a good chance of inducing motion sickness with these kind of devices.

But it would be great for any game where a good sense of motion would add to the depth.

awww, I was hoping you wanted feedback on a game called Screw Force

maybe next week

after watching the video the implications of a Japanese girl walking on my back (among other things) are mind-bending

[rushes to file trademark application, claim www.screwforce.com]

I would like to be a member of screw force.

… and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter?

Another company was developing a product like this for gaming about six years ago, but it never went anywhere. It’s a neat application, potentially, though the technology is nothing new.