Screw the Video Game Bosses's Union

With respect to this piece: http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/072703instagib/1.html

I think the lack of bosses and/or the weakening of bosses in general has done nothing but good for games. Bosses were all about killing the player over and over. I never found that fun. In fact, it was not rare for me to quit playing a game because I couldn’t get past a dumbass boss. See: Mega Man games.

Not that I dislike boss fights, no sirree, I do enjoy them quite a bit. When they are a reasonable difficultly level and not an absurd fight that forces you to die over and over and over again. The can spice up a game, and I like that.

Also: Unlimited continues are good. I don’t want to have to be a super-pro to play a goddamn game, I want to play the game, see the story, finish it, and move on to the next.

I think this article is mostly just pining for an era of games that was left behind for a reason. Rose coloured glasses and all that.

You’re a wuss. :P

Back when I was a yung’un we din’t afford lots n’ lots of fancy con-tee-nuus. You were dang thankful if you got’n as much as two. Hell, we wept openly when pa broke out a third and a fourth con-tee-nuu, knowin’ he’d been workin’ hard for them all week long down at the plant, and that we’d be eatin’ nuttin but fried porridge for sunday dinner.

Dang kids of today. Spoild gits, all of you.

I’m reading the preceding post as if Kalle is attempting a US Southern Accent and it’s coming across as really funny. Except the part where he tosses “gits” in there which makes me think of Monty Python. Sort of like The Swedish Chef cooks for The Pirhana Brothers on a Very Special Multi-National Scandanavian Episode of Hee-Haw.

Damn, I almost made it. Need to work more on my accent. Now, what would be a proper replacement for the word “gits”, oh enlightened one?

I thought Hollywood fucked up Southern accents. Hearing bad actor renditions filtered through the Swedish…wow, that’s bad. :)

I think a retalliation in the style of the Swedish Chef is in order. :)

– Xaroc

No, I’m an adult with a job and responsibilities, who can’t afford to dedicate the time required to a game to be good enough at it that I can beat bosses in situations where the only way to do such is to be insanely good at a game. I don’t want to have to fight with a game in order to get through it.

Just to pile on here, ‘wept openly’ doesn’t quite fit into the caricature either.

For the end, maybe ‘spoiled rotten’ would work, just for the redundancy.

No, I’m an adult with a job and responsibilities, who can’t afford to dedicate the time required to a game to be good enough at it that I can beat bosses in situations where the only way to do such is to be insanely good at a game. I don’t want to have to fight with a game in order to get through it.[/quote]

maybe you should try “movies” :wink:

I thought Hollywood fucked up Southern accents. Hearing bad actor renditions filtered through the Swedish…wow, that’s bad. :)[/quote]

Cultural Imperialism strikes back. :D

“Porridge” doesn’t fit either. Try grits (the word, for god’s sake don’t actually eat them).

Can you fry grits, whatever it is? Well, I suppose you can fry anything, but do people eat them fried?

I saw some people eating bull penis on Fear Factor once. It wasn’t fried, but…

There is nothing wrong with grits.

Ever had 'em Jason? Maybe more importantly, ever have them in the deep south?

I saw some people eating bull penis on Fear Factor once. It wasn’t fried, but…

…[/quote]

Fortunately, I’ve managed not to watch Fear Factor, so I missed that one. To answer Kalle’s question, however, my sister lives down Pie’s way, and I’ve seen grits cooked just about every way imaginable. Boiled, I think, is the most basic way, but fried is very common. However, I think what they do is slice up boiled grits and then fry them. Not sure about that though. Grits are a dried, coarse corn grain. Since I’m sure they have a plethora of Mexican restaurants in Sweden, it will help Kalle to know that the grain is similar to the masa harina used to make corn tortillas.

Referring to traditionally cooked grits as “boiled” is like calling really good sushi “raw”: technically accurate, but still gauche.

Besides, the best way is to take day old grits and fry them in the same bacon grease used to cook that morning’s breakfast. Tasty.

I don’t get to eat grits the way I used to now that I’m stuck in the middle of the Pacific. I’m still debating whether or not losing Waffle House and gaining the ability to go to the beach on Christmas Eve was a fair tradeoff.

I think I’d take Hawaii and adapt.

Does living in Texas for 24 years count?

Yeah, based on my experience, poi should make a very, er, “acceptable” substitute for grits.

I like boss battles, especially in games made by Konami, Treasure, and Nintendo. Capcom mostly sucks at it (except for Maximo, that game was solid). Dave’s gonna try to tell me something about Mega Man, but I always liked the levels a lot more than the bosses in those games. Maybe the new one changes that, I don’t know.

Anyway, I can’t say I’m in favor of making games difficult to the point where you have to be a pro to get through them, but they do need to be a challenge. I wish devs would do more with the difficulty levels in a game. Higher difficulty levels should make boss battles tougher, maybe add in another stage or pattern to the fight, or change some of the battle conditions. This way everyone wins. Us skilled players can spend weeks or months mastering great games and the big wimps like Charles can watch the pretty pre-rendered crap ;)

Sorry for that outburst, we now return you to Hawaiian Grits, starring tombstone and Mark Asher.