Sdorica Sunset - Awesomely Illustrated Tile RPG for Mobile

Dammit now I am interested in this game after swearing I’d never play another gacha after wasting months of my life on Puzzle & Dragons bullshit

Play it. They announce a crafting system they had in the works and people really weren’t feeling it (see, disappointed and upset) they literally compensated for the frustration and said they were scrapping it a few days later. Developers are boss.

You might not feel the same, but to me, this is a vastly better game than Puzzle & Dragons in every respect.

@tacopizzacats just finished chapter 8 on my second attempt. I made one slip up on my first try and died one turn before the boss should have. Really, really fun fight. I don’t recall a boss fight in any puzzle rpg that compares to this one, with the Zelda-like multiple stages and everything. Super cool.

I actually downloaded it, even downloaded the 1 gig data file. . . and then never started playing it. I’m so bad at playing games these days. See also: GPU thread.

Do we have a guild setup or anything?

Nah, I’ve already joined one.

Yeah, this is legit a very good game. I’m starting to enter the late-game, level wise, and while theres unavoidable grind, the devs really don’t seem that interesting in taking money. I bought the $3 welcome pack, just because I wanted to give them something, but thus far it’s entirely unnecessary.

The only thing you really would pay for is getting character specific upgrade materials, but the free upgrade materials are very generous, and just playing the game will get you enough to have a handful of very high tier characters. You may not have the specific ones you want, but you’ll definitely get some. Some characters synergise better than others, but very few characters are actually uniformly better or worse.

The multiplayer/end game content is very minimal so far, and is basically a score attack mode. But, you only get to submit one score to the score attack per day. So, even if you’re interested in that option, there’s little benefit to grinding it, endlessly. It boils down to playing with your party to get an optimal loadout. Like, actually getting better at the game.

Also, having played a couple of other Rayark games, they seem like a pretty thoughtful developer. Cytus 2, a rhythm game of theirs, is very generous with free content, basically having like half the game for free, no nags, or anything. If you want the other half of the songs (and I guess the plot, such as it is), you just buy those chapters. Voez, another rhythm game of theirs, has a stable of rotating free songs, as well as letting you buy songs individually or in packs (Voez was also released on consoles, so that probably informed that revenue model).

I was pretty skeptical at first, but this has definitely been a surprisingly pleasant mobile/gacha/f2p experience.

Incidentally, the venture quests also are considered end game content. Furthermore, chapter 10 was already released this month with chapter 11 due at the end of the month, following a set of character storyline events. They plan to continue that type of schedule. From the producer:

Starting in May, the Main Storyline will continue to move forward. We will switch between Main Storyline chapters and a set of Character Storyline events for the updates.

For example, in the first week of May, we’ll have Chapter 10 of the Main Storyline, followed by Nigel’s (2nd Week), Yamitsuki’s (3rd Week) and Aosta’s (4th week) Character Storyline event, then followed by Chapter 11…etc. We plan to maintain an update schedule of having either Main Storyline, Character Storyline or holiday event each week.

They are also working on some kind of collaborative event. Also, Klaus is on both Reddit and the discord, communicates well, and seems extremely receptive to feedback.

All that being said, today’s update featured an untranslated Chinese string, and another that was clearly a constant variable lookup name, meaning their localization string probably just botched that asset. Whoops.

I’ve been playing this as well, based on the recommendation from this thread. Neat little puzzle-ish game to kill a few minutes each day. The battles do get more interesting as the game progresses, but I’m curious how they’ll sustain creating new enemies, characters and mechanics and continue to maintain balance. Right now I can see how most characters have their niche and their uses, but Dylan SP seems head and shoulders above the rest. His 4 block ability just lets you skip so many mechanics.

As mentioned, the F2P aspect is pretty good, I haven’t spent a dime and I already have most of the characters and a good number of the extra rare ones. Once you unlock one, you’re no longer at the mercy of RNG, just grind. I imagine it’ll be a bit tougher once the launch freebies die off though.

Yeah, Dylan SP does let you circumvent a good number of mechanics. However, I’d ont think it’s that big of a deal. It’s not like you can use him on multiple teams in the trials, and he’s not going to help you nearly as much in major boss fights, which I presume we are going to see more of.

I did 9 pulls on the banner and ended up with Angelia SP, one of the few characters who has no apparent major synergy with anyone else right now. But then, there are three new skins incoming, so maybe that will change. Even though, I’d have rather had Dylan or Sione, I got plenty of other useful stuff in the process, so it’s all good.

Yeah, good point regarding the trials, his impact is blunted since you can only use him once. But it’s not just his 4 block skill, his 1 and 2 block are very good as well. His passive taunt lets him take the heat off Roger, or keep Jahan’s advisor skill active. His 2 block hits almost as hard as Roger’s 2 block, but without the downside. His 1 block skill self heals and applies 2x targeted tear, so you can tank and wear down high health bosses as well. He’s not suited for every battle, but he’s definitely more versatile, and more powerful (when relevant) than any other purple character.

I’m not familiar with other gacha games, do they ever nerf/rebalance characters? I imagine it’s a fraught decision, considering there’s money involved for many players.

Well, some of them probably have intentional power creep, but that’s not just gacha games that do that (e.g. League of Legends). I don’t know if that’s the case here, necessarily. Again, though, the way this game is structured, there’s never going to be one “best”, both because the meta shifts as new characters and skins are introduced, but because trials change daily (so a good team for trials one day may not be the best the next) and new chapter content will continue to add new challenges.

Datamined new skins below

[Naya Skillbook : Chilling Arrows]
[Passive] Pickoff Attempt : Upon turn, deal 1 damage to enemies with CD:1, grant Exhaust.
[Advisor] Warning Shot : Upon turn, deal 1 damage to enemies with CD:1, grant Exhaust.
[1-Orb] Frost Shot : Armor Penetration ($BK:0.5) selected enemy. If passive skill was triggered this turn, grant white ally War Cry as well.
[2-orbs] Chain Strike : Armor Penetration ($BK:1) selected enemy. If passive skill was triggered this turn, trigger white ally’s 2-orb skill as well.
[4-orbs] From The Skies : Armor Penetration ($BK:1.5) selected enemy. If passive skill was triggered this turn, grant white ally War Cry for all turns as well.

War Cry: Increase skill power by 30% for each stack. 3 stacks max. Upon cast skill, grant self 1 stack.
Exhaust: Decrease skill power by 30% for each stack. 3 stacks max.
`

[Hestia’s Skillbook: Flowers’ Whispers]
[Passive] Spring Solo : Upon turn, grant self a random buff.
[Advisor] Summer Aria : Grant selected ally a random buff.
[1-Orb] Fall Étude : Grant self a random buff for 2 turns.
[2-Orb] Winter Fantasia : Copy all buffs this character has, grant all allies 1 stack of the copied buffs for 2 turns
[4-Orb] Hestia’s Four Seasons : Copy all buffs this character has, grant all allies 3 stacks of the copied buffs for 2 turns
`

`
[Golemwalt’s Skillbook : Runic Behemoth]
[Passive] Summon The Beast : Upon cast 2/4-orb skill with Armor Penetration by white character, trigger self 2/4-orb skill.
[Advisor] Friends : Grant all allies Armor Shift. [CD: 3]
[1-Orb] Trembling Roar : Grant all allies Tank Up for 2 turns. If have Tank Up, grant all allies Armor Shift for 2 turns instead.
[2-Orb] Crystal Crunch : Armor Penetration ($BK:0.75) all enemies, remove 2 gold orbs
[4-Orb] Ground Fissure : Armor Penetration ($BK:1.5) all enemies, scramble the orbs.

Tank Up: Upon incoming damage skill, grant self Armor equal to 10% max Armor for each stack. 3 stacks max.
Armor Shift: Upon turn, grant self HP equal to 30% of current Armor for each stack. 3 stacks max.
`

Note: Rayark Might do another ninja update this wednesday, be warned

I got Tica to SSR +1 today. For people, like me,that haven’t really read much about it, after you get max rank with a character (SSR / all 3 gems), you can continue to Resonate them, and you get a stat boost and a +1 tag next to the rank. So, there’s runway there for continuous difficulty extension, or to capture money from whales who really want to run leaderboards on the trials. The real carrot for the SSR upgrade is the skills though, so there’s not much reason to chase those SSR+ tiers.

Not continuous. It caps at +10 I think. I have 22 minerals for Tica at the moment, but I’m liable to smash them for crystalline.

I have Yan-bo skin available in the shop right now, and I really want to get it, but it’s not a smart idea because of the three skins that are coming. The first time a skin is introduced, it sells for 1490 crystalline, so you can save 500 vs buying it later.

Looks like they nerfed the damage from the datamined values. Which is disappointing, as the Golem skin looked somewhat interesting. I’ll probably get Naya’s skin anyway.

I just finished the story up to chapter 10. The fights at the end of 8 were pretty tough.

Saw some people complaining about Golems 2b skill, but it hits all enemies. If there are 3+ enemies, it will do more damage than the normal skill, so not sure what they were expecting.

chapter 8 was definitely most difficult in my opinion, I think I’m 57 or close to it, so close to 60 but so far :P I’ll be happy once I hit 60 then I’ll have to serious decide who I’m going to use as a secondary team with all the soul energy I’ve got stored away :D

I’m halfway to 55. Not entirely sure what to make of the new skins. Had Yan-bossily book in the shop three days in a row, taunting me, but I held off because of the new ones.

i’m sitting on 2700 crystalline i haven’t gotten hard core into wonderland, i wanna hit 60 first and make the right decisions about characters to SSR