Sea of Thieves!

I jumped on and purposefully joined a random large 4-person galleon. My crew-mates were someone with a good eye for treasure maps, someone who understood the sails well, and a younger kid.

We had a blast! Ended up being a fairly competent crew, aligning ourselves to the wind, angling the sails, navigating through narrow shores, and digging up plenty of treasure.

We did a tiny bit of jousting with a few small sloops from a distance, but none of them wanted to close with a larger galleon that started firing off 4-cannon volleys.

In the end we turned in about 8 chests, a few animals (someone was smart enough to bring some spare cages), and a couple of gunpowder barrels. I don’t know the rewards well enough yet but I got a few points of faction and probably 1500 gold over 90 mins.

We exchanged a few Arrrgh’s and pirate jokes, danced when we had time on flat seas, and tried to avoid the vomit of our companion whose on-board pastime was to constantly drink grog.

Grouping with randoms feels a bit like signing on with an unknown crew at port, its an interesting social experiment.

We fought another galleon last night and chased them to port. They tried to engage us while they turned in their booty but we cut them down as they were running to the vendors with the loot and sold it ourselves.

Later, we saw a ship at another port and fired full broadside at it. 8 hits in like 10 seconds and it sunk instantly. They had a ton of loot all floating on the water now. Turns out it was those same guys we sunk and robbed earlier. And we sunk and robbed them again.

All in all we completed 1 voyage on the evening and turned in about 20 items. Thanks guys!

This is what happens when you play Sea of Thieves with your PUBG squad.

Some of the balance decisions are weird. Like if you attack somebody, and you lose your ship, it spawns nearby again.

And some decisions seems kind of weird, like any collision opening random holes in the hull.

But, I don’t care because has a stream viewer, what random occurences that happen just make my time more enjoyable.

Continuing the discussion from Sea of Thieves!:

I understand everyone saying it’s missing a lot of stuff, but to say there’s nothing there is complete bullshit. I played for more than a dozen hours and had a blast both with and without friends. Must be awfully boring being someone who can’t have fun.

I missed the days of being able to turn a game on and have some fun then turn it off without worrying about did I get enough progression done? Fortnite’s been rubbing me the wrong way lately with the weekly challenges in that same vein. Instead of just loggin in and playing to do my best and have fun and try to ‘win’ I just log in and try to do obscure challenges that I don’t actually enjoy doing to get something I can’t get any other way. I just feel like games have been heading the wrong way for years milking human psychology and it’s refreshing to see someone throw that away. I wish land combat wasn’t such crap though.

Joined a crew last night on a galleon. Two guys didn’t talk (or only used text). The third guy kind of dominated the convo. We were already in the middle of a quest and he saw a big skull in the sky. He said we should go do that, ‘make $10k, easy’.

We sailed over there and there was already another galleon and sloop circling the island trading shots at once another/the skeletons. We ended up in a prolonged war with them. We’d sink one or the other of the ships, and try to sink the other, but by the time we did, the first would have respawned and have come back. Then we’d be out of ammo, and go to the island, but there was one of the other crews left there, an annoying guy who was ‘good’ (meaning he bunny-hopped constantly) who kited hordes of skeletons while firing at us and making racial slurs.

I tried to say that we should just go back to the original plan, but dude wouldn’t have it. After dying a few times, the second time we lost our boat I logged off. @kono1134 had messaged me just a few minutes before, but he was already in a game, so I quit for the evening. If I’m playing, I don’t generally have time to respond. Probably just easiest to send me a party invite.

big advantage of using game chat is that you can hear people coming and often what they are trying to do. Used that in the beta to my advantage many times.

That’s one of the things that’s pretty much guaranteed to change as part of the upcoming
respawn system changes. Too frustrating and easily abused.

Yeah the guys we beat were back within minutes, we barely had time to grab anything after sinking them before their ship was back.

Here’s a clip of our griefing, you can’t hear my party because I started the stream in the middle of the battle and they didn’t opt into chat yet. I’m watching it again and cracking up. Maybe this is a good game.

I’m getting a lot of good bits and pieces on this game here but I can’t quite tell what the consensus is.

Assuming server issues are ironed out, is this game fun?

Let me answer your question with a question: what do you like most about multiplayer games? Is it to get online with friends and do activities together or is it to progress a character and collect cool loot?

I think those of us enjoying the game are finding that the pirate action is goofy fun and it’s own reward. The impression I gather from those who are not enjoying is that there’s no point to it, that there’s no meta game, no loot chase, no progression. I guess whether you find the game fun depends on where you expect yourself to fall on that divide.

in small doses. If you want to try it, do the game pass.

I don’t have a problem with this game, honestly, I have a problem with the price. It feels like it has less actual content than puzzle pirates. That said, when it works, it really works. Running from another ship can be a really good time. However, then, you’re going to have times where you’re turning in a chest and someone shoots you to death and spawn camps you. It can be pretty fun to seek revenge, but spawn-camping is an immediate turnoff.

Totally agree with you there Harkonis.

Yeah, pretty much this. That’s a great way of putting it.

I’m pretty sure that I’m enjoying the stories here way more than I’d enjoy the game. I’m cool with that.

This made me chuckle.

My brother’s just been doing exactly this. He quietened down after I shared it.

I kinda miss everyone coming in here to say there is no content and nothing to do. :-)

If you have a group to play with it seems like it could be fun. Saw some streamers playing together last night (BlackBurke and GassyMexican), and they were in a fight with another ship when the kraken showed up. Both ships managed to get away, and then the fight continued. One thing they need to change is people respawning so close to the group that killed them.

Agreed. You wind up fighting forever until one crew just logs off.

I’m intrigued!

I won’t be around later but should be good for some tomorrow. Will be sure to flag anyone who’s around on the Xbox App.

I just got this on a whim through the gamepass thing. I’m LPall.

Doing a lot of that myself. A bit repetitive, punctuated w/ as you said high tension when other players arrive on the scene. Different sides of the world, etc, but I added you to my Xbox friend list.