Sea of Thieves!

This took some fiddling but it works. This is more of an Xbox noob issue than specific to Sea of Thieves.

For those that want to try a similar situation (play on PC while kid is on Xbox), here’s what worked.

Ingredients:
Windows 10
Xbox One
Full retail MS Store purchase of Sea of Thieves
My primary Xbox Account w/ Gold and Game Pass sub
Kid accounts added to family profile, and their profiles added to Xbox
I launch game in Windows 10 normally under my profile.
Either kid can launch Sea of Thieves normally under their own profile and we can connect.
CAVEAT: If my profile is signed in on the Xbox (even if it’s not the active profile) I get an error that I can’t launch Sea of Thieves since I’m signed in elsewhere.
Basically, need to make certain my own parent/primary account profile is signed out on the Xbox while kids use it, and then it’s all good.

Our first content update, The Hungering Deep, will release in May and bring with it a new AI threat to the world. Crews will have to work together to discover and defeat this threat as part of a unique event. We will also be introducing a number of new mechanics to assist players on this adventure, and there will be unique rewards that players can earn as part of this event. Beyond this, we will begin our weekly events programme during May, where we introduce new mechanics and give players fun new ways to play with weekly events and rewards.

In the summer months, we’ll debut two more content updates with Cursed Sails, which will include a new ship type, and Forsaken Shores, which will introduce players to a perilous new part of the world to explore. Similarly to The Hungering Deep, both of these updates will also include new gameplay mechanics for players, new AI threats to challenge and new unique rewards to claim.

As we’ve always said, we never wanted to do anything to separate our players, so we’re pleased to confirm that all content updates will be available to all our players, at no additional cost.

Sounds exciting and I’m glad they’re not giving us more details because the surprise element is really important. I hope they try to maintain the mystery for as long as possible.

I play Sea of Thieves about twice a week with my regular crew. On Sunday we had an epic adventure versus other pirates and also attempted our first Skull Fort. Here are two videos from the action:

The first clip starts as we sink an enemy pirate ship that pulled up next to us while we were docked. They attempt to board us three times, and we mostly survive all three. Watch my friend’s fat character get eaten by a shark! 5 minutes long:

The second clip starts as we are fighting waves and waves of skeletons, trying to defeat their captain and steal their treasure horde … as the rain from a storm fills up our ship … and we run out of cannonballs. Do we win? 5 minutes long:

It was one of the finest computer gaming moments of my life. :-) SoT has been a blast.

I was giddy watching you open up that Skull Fort door! We’ve only managed to do one ourselves and the tension moving the booty from the vault to our ship was crazy. We got chased afterwards, sunk and lost a good chunk of it but was able to intercept them at the outpost to get a bit back. Still:

Got to pirate legend. Now for the next reputation grind.

More of the same but still fun.

Congrats on reaching Legend!

It looks like private crews are hopefully due for next week:

That will be really nice to have.

Both the article above and video below have more info on today’s patch and what’s coming:

I’m still playing this but my friends have been busy lately so not quite as much as I’d like! Looking forward to the updates. My favourite QoL tweak: moving the bells and ammo crates away from ladders and weapon cupboards, respectively.

So that happened …

I love how mysterious this is.

I truly enjoy Sea of Thieves and hopefully they’ll iron out closed crew bugs, as that feature was sorely needed. However the unbridled tedium of the merchant quests is an utter buzzkill. I can’t go through the motions.

The pirate has 2 peg legs.

If I read it correctly they already fixed private crews and patched it back in yesterday.

I haven’t played since then or anything, so I could be behind the news curve there.

Privates are indeed back in.

Continuing athena missions 1 to 2 per day. Around 75 to go.

If any one ever wants to join or wants a mission dropped hit me up.

I’ll probably hit you up in the next week @kono1134! I’m curious to check out the Hungering material…

Anytime.

Todays patch brings some prep stuff for hungering. New instruments, megaphone, signal flags.

I continue to have a blast with the random engagements against others.

Last night, McMaster and I expertly sleuth-ed our way through the Hungering Deep content, to obtain our drums. (Oops, let me just close this errant tab w/ some sort of walkthrough…)

As it was late, we wrapped it up and have yet to face the final battle. It seems to require a minimum of 5 drum wielding folks to lure the beast out of hiding. If we can scrounge up enough folks, and we can somehow coordinate timing, I’m all in. It’s refreshing to have some, small, narrative hook in this game.

If you’re on tonight, I’d join you. Been a while since I played actually.

Sweet! There’s a lot of goose chasing and sailing to unlock the drum. Unless you’re into the challenge of scouring the map for island names related to the verbal cues of bar wenches, I highly recommend this guide.

We’re yet to summon the beast ourselves but we had to tell everyone joining our galleon that we hadn’t done the new content, no spoilers and we didn’t want any help. Honestly, I wish we’d just gone for a closed crew but I didn’t expect everyone who joined us to have already done it all. Worse, most of them had apparently just followed others around rather than engage with the actual ‘treasure hunting’ themselves. Really disappointing to hear. We loved picking apart all the clues and working out where to go and who to talk to. I just don’t understand why you’d want to kill that aspect of the game. Bleurgh.

Anyway, it was really cool and I’m looking forward to the finale!