Sea of Thieves!

Ah okay. Bought it from the MS Store. I’m flintlocked and loaded.

I’m ‘geggiis’ on the Xbox app so feel free to add me! I’m British Standard Time and usually around in the evenings and at weekends.

If you want the game on PC or want the cross-play capabilities DO NOT buy the physical disc. The physical copy will only work on an Xbox and you cannot transfer the license to a PC. You have to buy digital or a digital code for PC.

Just wanted to highlight that to avoid any mistakes.

Buying the game on the Windows Store, the Xbox Store, or a digital code card from a retailer should all work on both PCs and consoles.

Thanks for this. That was my biggest concern so decided to avoid it just in case.

I skimmed through the Rare Reddit AMA and quoted a few answers I thought were interesting.

Mike: We’re looking to add the ability to play publicly or privately on any ship you choose after launch. Supporting a four player crew on the sloop is something we’re looking at.

Mike: We see the role of trading companies as something we’ll continue to expand over time. Whatever we do with the trading companies we’ll try to put a unique spin on it and gets players to play in different ways! Fair expectation that the kinds of goods you’ll be ferrying for the Merchant Alliance will evolve over time.

Shelley: We prototyped dice early on in development and it was a lot of fun. All of our mechanics in Sea of Thieves are to provide players simple tools that let players’ creativity define how they use them!
Joe: If we put dice in the game we’d love to see what players do with them. For example, using them to direct your adventure. Roll six to head West!
Shelley: We’ve seen people using gunpowder barrels as a game. Running down the beach and trying to get to the ship alive! Mike: Whatever we do we’ll look to continue players’ immersion and not take them out of the world into a mini game or separate modes.

Tease about initial in-game event:

Mike: New visitors soon there may be, travelling far across the sea, depth of night with eyes aglow, crawling the earth cast in shadow

Joe: Our focus at launch is reacting to feedback and seeing if there are any significant issues. Our updates will be as frequent as they need to be in that period. New content will be variable on how complex it is. Bigger features are gonna be every few months, those will be major changes, like pets or ship captaincy. In the periods between those updates we’ll be running live campaigns and constantly releasing things that enrich the emergent experience of the world. Tools like a speaking trumpet, something that’s not too far away after launch.

Mike: Just like the lore books and messages in bottles, we’ll look at expanding the ways players can acquire quests in game. Getting quests from mysterious NPCs sounds like a great idea ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/84vzkj/its_rare_ltd_developers_of_sea_of_thieves_ask/

I’m also on British standard and planning to play evenings and weekends with my wife or daughter. If we see you around, we’ll throw you an invite if you don’t mind the less PvP focused crew.

Wendelius

I love the direction they’re going in with regards to simple, direct, intuitive tools for players to use. The dice for instance seems like a lovely little addition.

@Wendelius sounds perfect! I keep forgetting that the game has proximity-based voice chat which sounds amusing. Looking forward to it.

Day one patch.

5,643 votes and 219 comments so far on Reddit

So I convinced a bunch of my PC playing friends to signup for the game pass and join me in Sea of Thieves. How will joining people from another platform work from Xbox? Are xbox live friends lists cross platform?

That’s a good question, I haven’t played any cross-platform games over Xbox Live before. But you can add me to your friends list, my Xbox gamertag is the same as my Qt3 username. I’ll keep an eye out for you and we can find out.

Easy. Add them to your friends list, either on the Xbox for those who play there or on the PC Xbox app.

Then you all will see what your friends are up to regardless of platform and be able to invite them to a party (group) or to join you in a game.

Note: On PC, you will need to be running the Xbox app to see whether your friends are online and invite them. That’s your interface to cross platform gaming.

It’s seamless.

Yeah. I’ve yet to experiment, since this will be the 1st MS multiplayer game I’ve tried, but the Xbox app supports cross platform voice chat as well. It’ll certainly come in handy to party up before firing up the game, since at launch, you can only join a crew together at the game start menu. The promised drop-in/invite-only patch can’t come soon enough.

I’ve played cross platform both for Astroneer and the Sea of Thieves beta with my wife and daughter. Works really well and, since the PCs are upstairs, we got to try partying up and using voice chat too. It’s all very easy.

I’ll be playing tomorrow night(assuming game pass works). Who is with me?

I have already added you and @Wendelius on my Xbox two weeks ago in preparation of the game launch. If anyone else would like to join, my gamertag is “Dirklectisch”. I’m in the central european time zone.

I’ll say “I’m in” with the caveat that I’m on U.S. Pacific time and I think we’re all over the place collectively. But if I see any of you guys online I’ll try to join up.

Tomorrow night is my streaming night, so I’ll be on by 6 your time at the latest and will stay on til 8-9 pacific

fwiw you can play right now on PC if you have game pass and change windows region to new zealand and reboot. (PS Don’t do this on Xbox, it won’t work and you have to wait a few months to change it back)

I’d love to. Depends on how my evening winds down on the home front.

So, @mono , you uh, wanna go to New Zealand tonight?