Sea of Thieves!

Yeah I don’t know that there’s anything to get, Pirates pretty much work on the reptile brain level and may just not be your thing. We all have blind spots - I don’t much care for fantasy settings. I don’t even like Lord of the Rings and everybody loves LotR. Just how I’m wired I guess.

I feel the same about LOTR. Game of Thrones finally got through to me on the appeal of Fantasy, and then it was a gateway drug, sort of. Then I finally read LOTR, and others, but never found anything as good.

Yeah, I guess it’s just a blindspot. One friend of mine kept telling me over a year at how wonderful Curse of Monkey Island was. So I finally played through it so he’d stop bothering me. And I just didn’t get the appeal of pirates at all even after finishing that one. I did love the original Pirates though. Because of the open world exploration and looking for treasure based on maps. That part was pretty cool I guess. Are there lots of little hand drawn maps with big X’s showing where the treasure is in this one?

Well, they are barely pirates. They are more like ‘adventurey sailors’.

Beta extended to Tuesday due to windows store problems.

I am late to the (beta) party. Downloading on the PC atm after working through the ‘early error’ plaguing folks.

Is there a Qt3 crew playing? It is xbox/pc cross play now or eventually?

Will post final gamer tag when I figure out what it is in game (fingers crossed).

I don’t think we have an actual crew playing, not sure how many of us there are. But there is xbox/pc cross play now, so we should all be able to play together. Sounds like the big trick will be figuring out a time we can all be on.

I have been in this since the first alpha and been totally clueless. Tonight I got matched with 3 others who had a decent idea how the game plays. We did 2/3rds of an adventure and got 2 treasure chests. We got destroyed by one team and lost a bonus chest with our ship. We then took out 2 agressor ships and 10+ people,

I kinda like this game! I’d pay cash money for it if it wasna gonna be part of Game Pass =)

And damn it is pretty and sounds great. I didn’t realize I didn’t have 4K HDR clips on tho =(
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmQ3z_7mmcqyhR2UWtQlHIWJ8LYA

Today started off amazing. We did 2 maps worth of chest collection, dove a few sunken ships… and then we head in. And a gang of asshats jumped us at the port. We got half the chests in then got into a death loop between them sinking our ship, and the sharks circling our floating chest. I don’t have ANY issue with them marauding, it’s part of the game. What is impossible is the uninterruptible death loop. Even when we killed them off we couldnt get past the sharks in time until they respawned. And every shark we killed another respawned when the asshats respawned. Not fun.

If you want an idea of what life is like on a 2 man sloop, have a look at the just uploaded stream from Zedaph (British streamer) and Tango Tek (US streamer):

I find them entertaining and shows from near the start how to pick up a voyage, figure out the destination and sail the ship.

To me, the main question is how much more fleshed out the final release will be. But what’s there now (a technical test, really) is already so much fun that I’ll definitely take advantage of the extended beta to play some more.

Hey, I didn’t realise you were in the UK (just saw in the honey thread).

Depending on how well Sea of Thieves turns out I’d love to play it but I’m sure my usual friends will be uncomfortable dropping £40+ on it, especially on the Windows Store. I’m not a fan of that last bit either but this looks like it could be too much fun to pass up. I have one more friend who’s interested on the Xbox so there’s the possibility of forming a two man cross-play sloop crew with him, but it’d be great knowing I have another fellow BST thief of the sea to jump on board with. You on PC?

I really need to have a dig into the videos and streams posted here. I signed up to the Sea of Thieves email list ages ago but never heard a peep so… I’m guessing it failed or something.

I’m curious - this is a microsoft developed game, right? So, should this be included in the Gamepass thingie as they announced their own games would be?

That’s correct. Sea of Thieves will be playable on the game pass on release day.

I’m mainly on Xbox (old PC). But that shouldn’t matter. The game is Play Anywhere and supports cross platform play. So I should be able to join at least occasionally for some adventuring. And I’m indeed in the right time zone.

I’m really hoping the final game comes together nicely.

I had a great time sailing around and hunting treasures with 2 to 3 other randoms.

The brig thing never happened to me over a few sessions. Hopefully it will get addressed before release.

I signed up for GamePass. Guess I need to do some pirating.

Pretty decent uh, review I guess? of the beta over at Ars Technica-

It’s even funnier the second time!

Don’t make me laught, my head hurts when I laught.

The first time I saw the structure of the game in a video, I told to myself “Oh boy, this is going to be a complicate game to play on the Internets.” and watching these articles about people jailing newbies that enter their galleon kind of confirm it. I can still be wrong, but so far I bet theres some rough waters ahead.

Such as me. I wrote about being thrown in the brig, right in this very thread in fact!

You can’t trust pirates these days. What the world is coming to?