Sea of Thieves!

Why do they do that? Do they get something tangible out of it, or is it just malice?

There’s a valid use for it, if you’re on a team and someone just isn’t working out you can “brig” them. It’s basically like kicking someone. But there’s definitely potential for abuse there, guess we’ll see how this works out when the game releases.

Nice article about going it alone -

Still haven’t tried that myself though I intend to, since most multiplayer games that I play I usually go solo.

I tried it. It wasn’t near as enjoyable as sailing with a crew, goofing around and exploring together.

But I guess it will do in a pinch. You still get to enjoy the high seas and voyages. There is just a lot that works well sharing that with others though.

I’m saying this as someone who generally much prefers solo play too and finds it much more convenient considering my limited gaming schedule.

That sounds like my jam.

There are very few games that really scratch that particular itch. Off the top of my head I can only really think of Windwaker and the sailing in Black Flag.

Aside from the obviously amazing water and lighting, what has really struck me from videos is the sounds. The ambient sounds are so perfect. The water, the snap of the sails, the creaking of the different sized boats, footsteps, the hammering as you slap a plank over a hole in the hull. In my opinion that really helps cement the sense of place and ties the whole room together so to speak.

I’m trying to temper my excitement, but even with a slight concern about what variety and kind of content there will be the world they’ve made looks like a place my virtual self wants to spend a bunch of time in regardless. It’s like Monkey Island grew up into an fps action adventure game while managing to keep the charm.

I’m hopeful enough of my friends will play this that I don’t have to solo, but I do like that it’s an option, even if it’s an added difficulty option. I like the idea of sailing out alone on the sea, I’ll just be bummed if I’m constantly getting sunk by griefer ships. Actually I guess it’s not even fair to say “griefer” since that would be the way the game is intended to be played.

Have you considered a career in sales, as I now want to buy this quite badly.

Sadly my gaming hours are random and I’ve been stung on mp before (yeah yeah cry me a river lol ) and the last mmo (actually the only) was tibia. …in 2003 iirc.

Nah, I’m just nannering on about the bits that really struck me.

Like obviously they were going for that not-so-serious place that Monkey Island resides with the exaggerated cartoon aesthetic and delightful goofiness. I mean when you drink too much grog (yes, it’s called grog just like the Monkey Island staple) the entire view sways, and cartoon vomiting is incoming. It also causes the piratical musical instruments to become comically detuned and awful sounding among other things.

The water looks incredible, but still manages to work just fine with the overall art direction that does not shun whimsy for useless visual clutter and shader features nobody gives a damn about. I feel like the game just wants to invite me to hang out and have some fun instead of shoving it down my throat. I find that extremely appealing.

Another good article on Eurogamer:

Also:

We’re going on a Kraken hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
What a beautiful day!
We’re not scared

Hints of some of what’s to be added for release in a recent patch…

And with that, the good fight is over.

Barring absolutely catastrophic reviews I am no longer capable of resistance.

Pretty sure I’m going to at least sign up for the 2-week trial of Game Pass for this. I may or may not keep it after- depends on how much this ropes me in and what else is available.

A game pass? Will the pc version require you to pay for Xbox live or a season pass thing to take part in the multiplayer?

I still don’t fully understand how this all works with PC games. There’s a FAQ located here that you can check out, and one item says:

However, we also know that all first party Microsoft games do confer a license to play a game bought on the Xbox Marketplace that corresponds on the Windows Store, and to the best of my knowledge none of the PC games on the Windows Store require any additional service like Xbox Live to play multiplayer. So I don’t really know how this should work, though it seems like you should be able to join the Xbox Game Pass (doing so does not require Xbox Live, but you would need it to play multiplayer on Xbox) and play Sea of Thieves on your PC through Play Anywhere. But I don’t know that for sure.

edited to add: there’s also a free 14-day trial you can sign up for Game Pass, so could always just try it and see at no cost.

If you get Game Pass, then yes you get access to Play Anywhere games which happen to be included on Game Pass. This works today with ReCore, Gears of War 4, and any others like it.

That FAQ wording should probably be updated, but basically it’s just saying that Game Pass is primarily intended for Xbox One consoles today. It’s not easily found through the PC store because there isn’t a significant library of PC games included in it, at least not yet.

Still though, if you do a search in the PC store and change the “Available on” filter to be Xbox, you can find it and purchase it that way.

I don’t think this has been posted but it’s a fun video with two guys fighting a sloop against two galleons and punching above their weight.

That’s really cool to see what a competent crew in a smaller ship can do against a larger one. Not that I’ve accomplished that myself.

That was amazing!

That looks like so much fun. I wanted to buy and play this game this weekend and didn’t realize the beta had ended :(

Look forward to it in March, I guess.