Sean Spicer is the best Press Secretary in history. PERIOD.

I was yelling at my TV while he kept saying quantify.

You are a young guy, for us old dudes yelling at our TVs could cause a stroke.

I turned off my cable so that I didn’t have to put a bullet in my set a while back.

I see your ND pol, and raise you an NC pol:

He probably just gained more GOP votes for his next re-election bid.

We’re about the distance from WW2 now as the Civil War was from the signing of the Constitution. And we’re twice as far away from the end of the US Civil War as the start of that was from the signing of the Constitution. In other words there’s been twice as much time in the country after the Civil War than before. And people still care.

It was fucking stupid. There are plenty of ways to describe how horrible Assad is without coming up with a moronic comparison where he is somehow worse than Hitler.

Again, it was dug up from the right wing Internet meme generator and regurgitated without any critical thought.

It’s not mere stupidity at work here, there’s also a level of incompetence and groupthink that is nigh unfathomable.

Don’t worry, Ivanka didn’t attend the passover either. Nor did Kushner.

Time for some more Spicey, boys and girls. (Edit: “beginning shortly”) (Edit2: just started)

Heh, even if Assad is somehow the second coming of old Adolf, remember, we, um, didn’t exactly dive into a war with Germany because Hitler was a bad guy. There were, oh, about eight years between the time Hitler took power for real in Germany (1933) and when we went to war with them (1941), and then it was Germany declaring war on us. And during the war, perhaps for some rather solid reasons though this is an ongoing debate, we certainly didn’t do much to interdict the Holocaust going on once we knew of it (not a battle I want to fight, really, given the complexity of the situation at the time, but it serves the point I’m making here).

In other words, our track record in fighting bad guys because they are bad buys is, um, rather bad.

The declaration of war… sure waited. We took sides long before that though when we decided to supply one side. And remember, the goal is not to repeat history. If something like this starts to happen again, we are supposed to stop it before someone sets up death camps to cremate 10k people a day, in one camp.

If Mr. Butler hadn’t intervened back in -33 or when it was, there’s a possibility the US would’ve fought on on the side of Germany, no?

Obligatory book link:

Of course. Just saying that Spicer getting on his high horse as if it’s understood we always go straight for the bad guys is silly.

As for WWII, well, it’s more complicated than that. Through 1940 at least there were a lot of US businesses trading with Germany, or wanting to. They bitched quite a lot about the Royal Navy’s insistence that we couldn’t trade with the Germans. It was only the sheer impossibility, practically and politically, of continuing to get ships into continental Europe that stopped US businesses from trading with the Germans while we were neutral.

The FDR administration was certainly anti-German, but the rest of the country was quite ambivalent in most respects.

As to your other point, well, foresight is a bitch, ain’t it? Assad isn’t likely to set up death camps or what-not; his regime has no ideology of mass murder. It has a murderous dedication to survival in an environment where its opponents would surely destroy each and every person associated with the regime should the regime fall. In fact, the Assad government is by far the most diverse and inclusive of all the factions in Syria, oddly enough.

This is every parent at the grocery store checkout line.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/859478879320383489

That’s a joke, right? It’s not what actually happened? A White House Press Secretary didn’t flee the White House Press Corp because they were being their usual, overeager selves to ask questions following a minor uptick in presidential ridiculousness?

Apparently it’s real?

SEEAAAAAAAAN!