Searching for clocks from games

This forum seemed like a good place to ask. More info at the top of the spreadsheet.
Untitled-1
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XcTIYNYfHF9TNz0AT6JsPK5qt5FTIdoDlQ4hcjXhNbs/edit?usp=sharing

Cool project. I saw, well, a portion of that film on an early date with my future wife.

I assume you only have use for clocks that actually show the time, rather than are generic representations?

Yeah that’s right but if you had one in mind I’d still like to see it!

I’m not sure I understand what you’re collecting on the spreadsheet, but you might be interested in the clock technology used in Bioshock Infinite. One of the rendering engineers talked about it, I think on Twitter. I’ve lost track of the original references, but this is an article he wrote about the rendering technology in general:

What I recall about the clock is the use of a variable in the shader constants to set the clock hands programmatically without actually involving the programmers. It was a clever artist hack. As a result, all of the clocks were “live” in the game.

I think he’s looking for one example of every possible time on a clock face in a video game. Most clocks in games aren’t live like the Bioshock ones – they’re just textures slapped on a clock model. Given the number of clocks rendered in video games, it’s possible that every possible time has been rendered.

Although, I think there are a lot of weird minute/hour hand combinations out there that don’t really lend themselves to static clocks – who’s going to draw 12:01 for their clock instead of something cool like 7:05 or 10:15?

Although, I guess live clocks like the Bioshock ones aren’t off-limits, so he might be able to fill in some blanks with those.

It sounds like a fun project!

I’m not sure I’ll find a clock face for every possible time. I’ll be filling gaps with live clocks like the Bioshock Infinite one (which I somehow missed so thanks!). I’ll also not be requiring clocks on screen at all times. If there’s a minutes long cutscene or gameplay sequence with a brief glimpse of a clock then I may use the whole thing if there isn’t something more interesting available. I’d love to be able to use dialogue too but this is especially hard to find.

Yeah, that’s how it worked in Marclay’s film, obviously, as there can be no ‘live’ clocks in movies.

It blows my mind to think of how much work it must have Marclay to assemble the full 24 hours.

At least 24 hours of work, I would think.

Hell, no. At least 25.

Yeah, it’s possible I’ve bitten off more than I can chew with this. Marclay and his assistants spent 3 years on The Clock. Not sure how long I’ve spent so far but I’m going to time myself when I start making a 1 hour test video so I can get an idea how achievable the full 24 would be.

Ultima VI had the most awesome clock thing ever. It was in the introductory video no less and showed the real time of where you were on the VCR (pulled it from the BIOS). It was mind blowing for a college student like myself to suddenly experience that kind of immersion way back in 1990. Ever since, I’ve always been irritated when a developer hasn’t done the same if there’s a clock in the game world lol.

So I’m not sure if a VCR clock fits your theme, but if it does, then you can choose whatever time you want to fill in your gaps.

The more non-traditional clocks the better so I’ll definitely be using that VCR. I never played Ultima myself but I remember seeing that part in magazines as a kid.

That intro is so great :)

Rune Factory Frontier had a nice clock tower. I was trying to find a pic of it that didn’t have stuff all over.

http://therunefactory.wikia.com/wiki/File:Trampoli_-_(12-42)Face_from_Church-_clock_tower.png

I am not sure which Rune Factory you have on your list but this might be the one you’re referring to.

Thanks! Not sure why that entry wasn’t specific. This is much better. 1:50 pm is a popular time!

How many video game clocks say 4:20 do you think? ;)

Most aircraft have clocks in their cockpit. Any flight sim should get you what you want.

I was just replaying Curse of Monkey Island and it has a live clock on Plunder Island that even chimes at the top of the hour. A nice touch.

NOLF1 has a few clocks:

Surprisingly I’ve only found two 4:20 clocks so far. Both AM so not sure that counts.

I have 4 quarter to threes. All of them at night.