Season 1 of 24

So, I got hooked on the first few episodes and impulse bought s1-4 . 3/4 through S1, I am having some serious issues with this show. I don’t think any of them will prevent me from slogging through the whole thing, esp since the bits of 5 I’ve seen look great. But my wife is a great deal more intolerant, and thus we need fair warning if these tendencies get worse or better in the later episodes.

So if you haven’t seen it, steer clear as there are some mild spoilers up ahead.

-------------------SPOILERS------------------------

1. The women in this show are, by and large, fucking retarded. The judgment calls made by Terry B and Kim B are absolutely appalling. Whatever it is that makes Jack Mr. Loose Cannon Fancy Pants is definitely unrelated to his genetics.

If they’re not running out into sniper fire, they’re needlessly reuniting with kidnappers and developing spontaneous amnesia. Was it really necessary to continue their plot involvement once they were rescued?

I mean, the amnesia thing is absolutely terrible. I don’t know if that’s conceivably what could happen with amnesia, but it is absolutely a cheap trick as far as plot advancement.

If it wasn’t for Nina, I’d have no faith in them whatsoever. Hell, even Palmer’s wife is a cut above. But if they don’t cut Bauer’s family out of the loop soon (no specifics needed, just a yes or no) or improve them radically, this series is domed.

1. The communication calls made by all characters are often ridiculous. I’m not talking about the initial confusion over who could be trusted in CTU or whatever, I meant the failure to inform key players of the magnitude of the threat against them. From Palmer’s family to Jack’s, to Palmer himself…the need the info is just not there. How could they not get the guy in New Orleans to safety, or at least out of a goddamned bar?

Ah well, that’s all I can think of off the bat. Like I said, none of these are dealbreakers for me, but my wife is losing her mind as we progress through the series.

So, I know this show has a devoted following everywhere…does it go up or down from here?

1. Generally gets better, in that you get less of the clueless family members and more of the evil scheming women. It pretty much remains a problem throughout the series, however. Especially Kim in season 2.

2. Pretty much remains the same throughout the series.

Season 1 was pretty meh. I liked the concept, so I stuck with the show until Season 2. Season 2 was so bad that I couldn’t watch if after about 6 or 7 episodes. I missed all of Season 3 and Season 4.

I was enticed back into watching it with Season 5, and it’s definitley better than 1 or 2.

The incompetence of CTU is a running theme - the kind that nobody in the show ever seems to notice. The only way things ever get done is when Jack Bauer goes rogue and starts shooting random people in the face; luckily, they’re usually bad.

The plotting and storytelling is unbelievably dire throughout - really, utterly, comically bad. If you think about ANY of the details, the whole thing pretty much explodes in your face. The enjoyment largely comes from the pace of it all, the ludicrous ‘what comes next?’ desperation of a writing team that’s run out of story but still has to write seven more hours of plot. Only 4 really let down that side of the thing, where pretty much all of it is ‘Oh, but this is our REAL plan!’ type extension - the others are endearingly batshit insane enough to stay fun. To quote one of the makers: “Not good, but not boring!”

Man, that does not bode well. I may just finish season 1 and give up until I’m trapped in some shithole country for a while and have no entertainment available.

How does this show have such a devoted following? I should have known The Wire was one of a kind.

As a general rule 24 is not kind in it’s portrayal of black women.

Or really white women for that matter.

The problem with the first season is, they weren’t sure if the show would get picked up for the second half, so they wrote in a mini-conclusion mid-way through, and it lost steam after that.

The second season was decent, but not great.

The third season I thought it picked up and did well from there after.

Someone loaned me the season 1 box set. For the first half of s1, I was absolutely hooked, couldn’t stop watching. My GF had seen the show and was like “I didn’t think it was that good,” and I’m on the phone with her telling her she’s insane, this is some of the best TV ever. Then came the second half of season 1, where I went back to my girlfriend and apologized for ever doubting her. Hoo boy. I actually never finished season 1, I stopped with two hours to go because the plot just go so incredibly unbelievable that I couldn’t stand it anymore.

(Minor spoilers follow, but probably nothing that LK hasn’t seen)

I think the real problem with the show, aside from the fact that the writers don’t care that much about believability as long as there’s lots of action and Morally Ambiguous Jack, is that they keep the same characters. The idea and format of the show could work really well if they focused on some different 24-hour crisis each season. But by the last parts of s1 you’re really getting this dumb “Ohnoes, Jack’s family is in jeopardy again!!” vibe. When Kim got captured for the third time in 24 hours I was like “OK, I’m done with this bullshit.”

And I totally agree on the amnesia plotline – completely out of nowhere, inexplicable, and not even really that exciting because I was laughing through the whole thing. And how about Kim during that plotline? “CTU was inflitrated, so I, um, didn’t think I could trust any police officers. And, um, well, I thought I could trust the guy who helped kidnap me.” Terry may have lost her memory, but Kim is presented as someone who literally has no reasoning abilities whatsoever.

Damn, I caught a few episodes of season 5 so I decided to start netflixing the first season. I’ve only seen the first disc so far and I’ve been hooked. I guess good things can’t last forever :(.

Yeah. I think we’re all on the same page so far. I have one more question: if you’re going to have a hilarious caricature of a Balkan supervillain, why would you go with Dennis Hopper when Gary Busey would have done it for pocket change and the same effect?

CTU: If you’re a mole, we’ve a hole!

what usually works for me is to ignore the first half of a season and then start watching. (although this does mark me as uninformed when reading online discussions about 24. what? jack was in mexico? when was this? how could this have possibly fit in anywhere in any season?)

Ok, finished S1, and the final event(s) in the season solved 90% of my problems. Count me back in for the second round of action at the most overwhelmingly infiltrated government agency, ever.

russell: I don’t know what to tell you, except as far as S1 goes the first 12 were exponentially superior to the last. Hopefully, a trend that is reversed in later seasons.

FWIW, the producers share most of your concerns- they will often be the first to admit that ideas like amnesia were really bad and were a result of getting stuck with characters that they didn’t know what to do with.

Unfortunately, it never completely goes away but that’s never stopped my supreme enjoyment of the show because after a while the incompetence of everyone not name Jack Bauer or David Palmer seems to be a running joke that even the show’s creators are in on.

Every season has the good and bad but it’s well worth sticking with it. When 24 is on it’s game (and it is several times every season) then there really isn’t any other show like it.

Season 2 sucked(or was it season 3 with the cougar?). But I’ve liked the rest.

Season 1 - Kim is kidnapped
Season 2 - Kim is kidnapped again with cougar’s and boyfriends
Season 3 - Kim is not kidnapped but somehow is now a CTU agent
Season 4 - Kim is off the show.

Though in season 2 they came up with a bunch of ways to show Kim in her bra which saved things somewhat.

That’s entirely possible. In my opinion, anyway, the first few episodes of Season 2 make the last episodes of Season 1 look like the epitome of good TV. Here’s hoping you’re right (since that would give me the excuse to buy seasons 2-4…)

That’s entirely possible. In my opinion, anyway, the first few episodes of Season 2 make the last episodes of Season 1 look like the epitome of good TV.

Man, I think you are in the minority on that one. While opinions of Season 2 vary (cough mountain lion cough) most really, really like the first part of the season with the ending of the first episode being almost classic.

If you look at the Jack Bauer Power Hour thread here you’ll see that we were gleefully awaiting every Kim scene during S2, all the while knowing it was incredibly bad.

The episode after the mountain lion featured Kim taking a shower and changing into a tight white t-shirt, which pretty much made up for the mountain lion. The funny thing is, I remember the mountain lion, and the survivalist rescuer, but whatever Jack was doing that episode has left no impression lo these many years later.

If you look at the Jack Bauer Power Hour thread here you’ll see that we were gleefully awaiting every Kim scene during S2, all the while knowing it was incredibly bad.

The episode after the mountain lion featured Kim taking a shower and changing into a tight white t-shirt, which pretty much made up for the mountain lion. The funny thing is, I remember the mountain lion, and the survivalist rescuer, but whatever Jack was doing that episode has left no impression lo these many years later.