Season 1 of 24

24 is one of those shows that gets better with every season. 1 had serious rough patches (cough cough AMNESIA), 2 had way too much kim is an idiot. 3 was much better, though still too much kim, and it was off to a very rocky start. 4 was fantastic and I can’t think of anything I disliked about it.

Then I shall prevail through 2 to greater things. Thanks for the protips.

My ranking of already-completed seasons of 24:

1. IV
  2. II
  3. I
  4. III (Jose Liz comedy option: II)

Ok, here’s the thing: the first season seemed awesome to me at the time, but they’ve really upped the ante since then. Season Two was really the best of times and the worst of times; for eighteen or so episodes, the main storyline is absolutely phenomenal, and it’s amazing how well they keep up the tension. It also contains my all-time favorite line from 24 (“I killed them.” It’s awesome in context.) However, they tempered this awesomeness with mind-bogglingly stupid subplots in which Kim is like some kind of retarded roving superhero who has to confront every minor villain that her father doesn’t have time to deal with: abusive husbands, convenience store robbers, and yes, a cougar. This would probably be the best season if not for that nonsense.

Season Three was a big step down as far as I was concerned. It started out pretty good, but then it just started getting really, really stupid. I quit after about eight episodes, and I still haven’t gone back and watched my DVDs of it, though I’m going to someday. I hear it gets freaking crazy towards the end, and everything that seemed relevant at the beginning is long done. Meh.

Season Four was outstanding. Kim is gone, Chase (Kim’s boyfriend and intellectual equal from Season Three) is gone, and it’s all action. I mean, they added a stupid female character, of course, but she’s not nearly as bad as Kim/Jack’s wife/Sherry. So there’s not really much slack. But what really makes Four awesome is that, rather than painting Jack as a superhero who can run the whole show and outmatch any enemy, it pits him against a villain who really is every bit his equal. Even if Seasons Two and Three don’t do it for you, watch Season Four, you won’t regret it.

The current season is good, but not great. It’s kind of up and down. This week’s was really good, but the last two were lackluster. So far, I’d put it even with or just below Season Two, but it’s not nearly as good as Season Two would have been without Kim, who isn’t around to drag this season down. Though she’s supposed to be coming back next week :(.

So much controversy! I made it through two episodes of S2, and Kim already has me gunning for her and her idiotic subplot. Jack is already off the rails and on to a great start, which I can tell is going to make this a real love hate situation.

One wonders if 24 will ever be ripe for internet remixes like the ones made of Star Wars films and the like, removing all the filth and leaving nothing but tasty goodness. I suppose it would be too much to ask, but this show is really begging for it. Would a four season director’s cut be too much to ask?

Yeah, welcome to Season Two. The good news is, Jack is totally awesome that season. Here’s how awesome he is: Kim gets about a hundred times more dopey than she is right now over the course of the season, and the main action is still good enough that you’ll keep watching.

One wonders if 24 will ever be ripe for internet remixes like the ones made of Star Wars films and the like, removing all the filth and leaving nothing but tasty goodness. I suppose it would be too much to ask, but this show is really begging for it. Would a four season director’s cut be too much to ask?

But it would screw up the timing!

Yeah, I know. But in dvd format minus ads, the faux tension the BEEPBOOP BEEPBOOP timer adds is no longer quite the nifty gimmick it once was. I know the show is trapped in its little “WE’RE DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT HAPPENS IN REAL TIME…REAL TIME MOTHAFUCKA!” niche since that was what once separated it from the herd, but it was never a draw for me. If anything, it kept me away from the show until now because it all seemed kind of silly.

So, my wishful thinking would probably fuck up what everyone lurvs about the show. It wouldn’t be the first time…bah, humbug.

But don’t you understand? It would lessen the impact of spacing the major plot points exactly one hour apart!

S3 certainly has i’s share of ups and downs but the last third of it is, IMO, the best 24 has ever been. Although a lot of the tension would likely be diffused by having seen S4 and knowing who lives and dies.

Yeah, I figured that. What’s weird is, and I’m trying to keep this spoiler-free, the people that I know died in Season Three are people that I couldn’t care less about, and also I have no idea how they would have been killed.

I’ll get around to watching it.

Yeah, I figured that. What’s weird is, and I’m trying to keep this spoiler-free, the people that I know died in Season Three are people that I couldn’t care less about, and also I have no idea how they would have been killed.

Yeah but part of it is knowing who lives- ie some situations won’t be as tense because you know that they’ll come out of it alive.

But, yeah, even if you know who dies there is still some fun to be had in finding how the how.

Right, like Jack in every episode of 24 ever.

Another vote for season 2 - I basically watched them all during Season 4 last year, and season 2 and its threat were the most interesting to me, but Season 3 had some awesome “exits” as well.

The series is actually terrible – nothing makes a lick of sense, the President and his inner circle are generally incompetent and/or traitors (yet they’re outclassed by the most corrupt and infiltrated government agency of all time, CTU), it’s embarrassingly politically correct 90% of the time, only to surprise you with relevance the other 10% — but it’s not boring. Things happen are are resolved relatively quickly (preposterously so, given the premise of the show), and Jack no-nonsense Bauer is one of the greatest TV characters ever.

…and Season 1 is clearly the worst. I’d rank 'em 2,3,4,1

How is 4 not the best? Seriously.

I had the most fun during season 2, but I thought 4 had the most cheerworthy stuff in it (“OMFG! It’s TONY!”).

I stopped after 3 episodes of Season 3. After watching two seasons of brain-dead Kim, I just couldn’t get my head around CTU hiring her (but it is the most infiltrated government agency in the world, by far, so I don’t know why I was surprised.)

This year life has intruded, and I keep being either busy or preoccupied on Monday nights. I think I’ve missed the last 3 episodes. Off to bittorrent…

I actually thought it was the worst, if not for the fact that there was even more over the top goofiness in the first season. What did you actually like about the 4th season? It was pretty much ludicrous, with only occasional payoffs.

CTU: “Yay! We foiled the insanely silly, over the top nuclear plot!”
MARWAN: “Lucky I had another one, which was the REAL plan all along!”
CTU: “Oh, look, it’s 7AM.”
MARWAN: “Then I die.”
CHINA: “Grrr.”
JACK: “I’ll be back.”

Personally I’ve liked all but Season 1. I guess I don’t look too far into things. I like many action movies that everyone seems to hate as well…that probably says it all.

I just finished Season 1, and yes there were some inconsistencies, but I loved it. Maybe I’m just better at suspending my disbelief though. The last 4 episodes were incredibly tense, especially SPOILERS Jack’s assualt on the drazen’s.

24 is just something where it’s immensely entertaining as long as you can shut off your brain any time they bring in any kind of technology or when there’s communication between government agencies. Those things don’t make a lot of sense - but it’s supposed to be action, eh?

Part of the reason I like 24 is to see it as an experiment in writing that most people don’t try. They literally make it up as they go along - they’ve admitted as much. There’s no more than a rough outline when they get started on a given season, and it’s interesting to see what they make of it. Sometimes (amnesia) they write themselves into a hole and it’s fun to see them try to get out of it.

Harlan Ellison does this sometimes when he does signings: he’ll write a short story, one page at a time. When he’s done with one page, he tacks it to the wall and writes the next. This creates an interesting situation where a writer can’t go back and change things he’s already done - he can only go forward and try to resolve mistakes (that in another form would be edited out in revision) the best way he can.

And I think season 5 shows that Manny Coto rocks the house. I would definitely attribute some of the awesome of this season to his influence.