Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

Time is reporting that voter rolls were changed.

This will likely not go well.

I expect a lot of goalpost moving.

“They never changed anything, people still voted how they wanted”
Will now be, “They only changed like one voter roll, it didn’t change anything.”
Later, “Only 2000 votes were altered, there’s no way that changed anything.”
Laterer, “Donald Trump is our president and that happened a long time ago, get with the program.”

The article says the voter roll change in question was caught and rectified, so they may not have to move the goalposts much yet. Though it does illustrate how shameful it is that the Republicans are trying to downplay and stifle any investigation into the hacking.

I actually think they’ll just say that Putin hacked the rolls for Crooked Hillary in exchange for a slice of pepperoni pizza and 30 minutes with a child sex slave. That’s where her 25 million phantom votes came from, it just wasn’t enough to overcome the will of Real Americans. Praise Trump!

Ack! Keep that in the stupid shit on Facebook thread. I just vomited in my mouth a little.

My bad. What about sausage and mushroom pizza?

You did improve the pizza, so ok.

Pretty much a must read:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national-security/obama-putin-election-hacking/?utm_term=.2374b7ac2d62&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&pushid=594cf6ea2e12651d00000094

On Aug. 15, Johnson arranged a conference call with dozens of state officials, hoping to enlist their support. He ran into a wall of resistance.

The reaction “ranged from neutral to negative,” Johnson said in congressional testimony Wednesday.

Brian Kemp, the Republican secretary of state of Georgia, used the call to denounce Johnson’s proposal as an assault on state rights. “I think it was a politically calculated move by the previous administration,” Kemp said in a recent interview, adding that he remains unconvinced that Russia waged a campaign to disrupt the 2016 race. “I don’t necessarily believe that,” he said.

Stung by the reaction, the White House turned to Congress for help, hoping that a bipartisan appeal to states would be more effective.

In early September, Johnson arrived on Capitol Hill in a caravan of black SUVs for a meeting with 12 key members of Congress, including the leadership of both parties.

The meeting devolved into a partisan squabble.

“The Dems were, ‘Hey, we have to tell the public,’ ” recalled one participant. But Republicans resisted, arguing that to warn the public that the election was under attack would further Russia’s aim of sapping confidence in the system.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) went further, officials said, voicing skepticism that the underlying intelligence truly supported the White House’s claims. Through a spokeswoman, McConnell declined to comment, citing the secrecy of that meeting.

Key Democrats were stunned by the GOP response and exasperated that the White House seemed willing to let Republican opposition block any pre-election move.

And the Obama administration is not without fault:

To some, Obama’s determination to avoid politicizing the Russia issue had the opposite effect: It meant that he allowed politics to shape his administration’s response to what some believed should have been treated purely as a national security threat.

Schiff said that the administration’s justifications for inaction often left him with a sense of “cognitive dissonance.”

“The administration doesn’t need congressional support to issue a statement of attribution or impose sanctions,” Schiff said in a recent interview. He said many groups inadvertently abetted Russia’s campaign, including Republicans who refused to confront Moscow and media organizations that eagerly mined the troves of hacked emails.

“Where Democrats need to take responsibility,” Schiff said, “is that we failed to persuade the country why they should care that a foreign power is meddling in our affairs.”

Hell yes it was a national security threat. I think Obama was a great president, but he tried too damned hard to gather support from both sides and failed to act within his power when reaching across the aisle didn’t work.

And here I thought we’d settled the whole, “States have a right to allow traitorous behavior” issue.

Once again, everyone started from assumption that of course Hillary would win.

Making sure this is posted in both threads … something is about to drop. We’ll see once it does.

Uh huh. I’m on pins and needles here.

It’s probably going to be a continuation of the same. Someone on the trump team talked to someone on the Russian team about something, yada yada.

I doubt it will be anything directly Trump related, but who knows.

Is there anything left for the Russians to rig, or is the US presidential election kind of the pinnacle of achievement? What can they possibly do to top that?

Maybe real info on quid pro quo from Trump team to Russian team. Other than that, there isn’t much I could see as a bombshell anymore. Perhaps direct involvement by Trump?

Actual election results. They don’t have to even succeed, just planting the idea that our elections might not be fair will destroy western democracy as we know it.

I didn’t think of that. Actual results of changed or padded voting for even a single state would be a bombshell.

Bingo. Just imagine if all this was coming out and Hillary had won - “Obama Coverup!”. “Stolen Election!”. “Voter Fraud!”. Fox, et al would be screaming at the top of their lungs, and the GOP would be investigating everything they possibly could, as loudly as they possibly could. A Hillary Presidency would probably be even more hamstrung by investigations and under a darker cloud than the Trump Admin has been.