Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

You are literally continuing to do what I just said you were doing, as an attempted defense for doing it.

It’s like you read the word Hitler, and react without reading the surrounding words in the sentence.

Why did you use Hitler as an example? You realize Donald Trump decided to compare the USA to Nazis Germany today right? That you followed his example as going to the extreme over something that is not even close to a proper comparison? Talk about literal… you’re literally following his lead.

Seriously? Let’s start with 100k US troops in Syria and an unknown number of casualties and far more chemical weapons being used, all in what would have effectively been a war with Russia’s proxy.

Holy shit, you are amazing.

Heh, so don’t answer. You don’t have to. I just think it’s odd to say Trump is different because all these extremes he does and then you know do the same thing he does yourself. That’s all.

At this point, I’m no longer sure that you are genuinely this obtuse, or are intentionally making some attempt at trolling me.

The extreme is deliberate; using a ridiculous example to illustrate the fallacy of guilt by association. It’s designed to make you realize “oh yeah, that is silly”.

Hitler is very frequently used for this purpose. It has nothing to do with Trump facetiously comparing the US to Nazi Germany; that is a whole different kettle of hitlers.

Nazis Germany and Hitler are usually employed as a drop the mic kind of tactic. In both cases, that was the attempt.

A source close to Mr Steele said on Wednesday night that he now fears a prompt and potentially dangerous backlash against him from Moscow.

Mr Steele, the co-founder of London-based Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd, prepared a 35-page document that alleges the Kremlin colluded with Mr Trump’s presidential campaign and that the Russian security services have material that could be used to blackmail him, including an allegation that he paid prostitutes to defile a bed that had been slept in by Barack and Michelle Obama.

No; Timex used reductio ad absurdum to illustrate a fallacy. That isn’t a mic drop, it’s an actual logical argument.

No, they are in fact two totally different things as antler explained, and as I tried explaining previously. The only similarity is that they both involve Hitler.

And again, as we both tried explaining, the use of Hitler as an explanation of the association fallacy is extremely common, because he’s essentially a universally known “bad guy”.

Finally, the use of Hitler was made, not in an attempt to liken you to Hitler at all, but rather to demonstrate the logical fallacy. That is, the statement was made as one which was obviously false. That’s why Hitler is used, because obviously sometime who likes kittens is NOT in fact like Hitler simply due to sharing that quality. The extreme negative quality of Hitler makes the fallacy obvious.

You just grossly misunderstood what was being said.

I didn’t take what Timex was saying as him calling me Hitler or a Nazis.

What I was trying to convey is that it looks like Trump’s position is right in line with what he’s talking about, strength brings peace. The biggest difference is Trump talks in extremes and no one knows whether or not he actually has a line he won’t cross. What is the fallacy in that?

This is making my head hurt.

I think the fallacy Timex was trying to illustrate was that criticizing Obama is not equivalent to supporting Trump.

Whether you think Trump is pursuing peace through strength or not is a different issue. He appears to want to use power as a cudgel to get America’s (or his) way, which is not really how deterrent power is meant to be used.

If the position is Obama was weak on the international front, not taking a strong position, and this policy emboldened countries to act against us, acts that may include say… screwing around with our election without real fear of any consequence for that… then we’re circling back a bit to to the CIA source and the election, the name of the this topic, and if that’s true this position implies the fault is Obama’s.

Criticizing Obama is fine. He’s not, was not and will never be perfect. But if Russia threw our election and Trump was involved in that, I’m putting a lot more weight on Russia and Trump’s shoulder than Obama’s for that, no matter what Obama’s policy was.

Have we discussed this here before? This is exactly correct. I read recently that the intent of modern propaganda is not to establish a specific narrative but to destroy people’s ability to tell truth from fiction. Which is, of course, brilliant, because then the narrative can be shifting and contradictory and it won’t matter.

The depressing thing about all of this is that nothing will come of it. The Republicans want and need Trump out front for too many reasons to ever take him down and they hold all of the power. If the stuff about the Trump team funneling information back to the Kremlin is true, we have actually elected a literal Russian spy.

I think you are maybe going into the weeds there. I don’t think Timex was saying anything like that.

The US failing to act decisively in Syria clearly opened the door enough for Russia to get it’s foot in there and seriously complicate things. Russia’s attempt to influence the election was not really related to this.

That said, US involvement in Syria would have been quite unpopular and expensive, and Iraq was already in crisis. I cannot fault Obama for not doing more.

If the position is Obama presented a weak front, and on one was essentially afraid to mess with us, or think there would be any consequences, or serious consequences for their actions against or counter to the US policies and approaches, why couldn’t you go there? I don’t think it’s coincidence that it’s Russia we’re talking about here, in both cases. If Russia had no fear, which is the claim, in dealing with the USA and campaigned against the USA election, it’s not something they would have come up with in 2016.

Yes, I feel like the last year has been a master class in KGB-style misinformation tactics.

Was Putin just bored, or…?

Pretty sure we have actually. Ugh. The new world.