Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

Lots to unpack here.

KIEV, Ukraine — The hacker, known only by his online alias “Profexer,” kept a low profile. He wrote computer code alone in an apartment and quietly sold his handiwork on the anonymous portion of the internet known as the Dark Web. Last winter, he suddenly went dark entirely.

Profexer’s posts, already accessible only to a small band of fellow hackers and cybercriminals looking for software tips, blinked out in January — just days after American intelligence agencies publicly identified a program he had written as one tool used in the hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

But while Profexer’s online persona vanished, a flesh-and-blood person has emerged: a fearful man who the Ukrainian police said turned himself in early this year, and has now become a witness for the F.B.I.

“I don’t know what will happen,” he wrote in one of his last messages posted on a restricted-access website before going to the police. “It won’t be pleasant. But I’m still alive.”

It is the first known instance of a living witness emerging from the arid mass of technical detail that has so far shaped the investigation into the D.N.C. hack and the heated debate it has stirred. The Ukrainian police declined to divulge the man’s name or other details, other than that he is living in Ukraine and has not been arrested.

There is no evidence that Profexer worked, at least knowingly, for Russia’s intelligence services, but his malware apparently did.

That a hacking operation that Washington is convinced was orchestrated by Moscow would obtain malware from a source in Ukraine — perhaps the Kremlin’s most bitter enemy — sheds considerable light on the Russian security services’ modus operandi in what Western intelligence agencies say is their clandestine cyberwar against the United States and Europe.

It does not suggest a compact team of government employees who write all their own code and carry out attacks during office hours in Moscow or St. Petersburg, but rather a far looser enterprise that draws on talent and hacking tools wherever they can be found.

Also emerging from Ukraine is a sharper picture of what the United States believes is a Russian government hacking group known as Advanced Persistent Threat 28 or Fancy Bear. It is this group, which American intelligence agencies believe is operated by Russian military intelligence, that has been blamed, along with a second Russian outfit known as Cozy Bear, for the D.N.C. intrusion.

Rather than training, arming and deploying hackers to carry out a specific mission like just another military unit, Fancy Bear and its twin Cozy Bear have operated more as centers for organization and financing; much of the hard work like coding is outsourced to private and often crime-tainted vendors.

Yeah no.

On the flip side, one of Mueller’s investigators has left the team:

's unclear why Strzok stepped away from Mueller’s team of nearly two dozen lawyers, investigators and administrative staff. Strzok, who has spent much of his law enforcement career working counterintelligence cases and has been unanimously praised by government officials who spoke with ABC News, is now working for the FBI’s human resources division.

My best guess based on the final line that he was transferred to HR (and not back to Counter-Terrorism), is that he may have been behind the leak of the Manafort Raid, or pissed Mueller off in some way that he had to be booted to a desk job.

Speaking of trust, did they ever find any evidence of tampering on Huawei gear used in the US?

People in this thread have said that Kaspersky isn’t linked to the FSB.

The guy was literally trained at an FSB school.
And he’s a billionaire in Russia. You don’t get to be a billionaire in Russia unless you are linked to the government.

Hoo boy! Holding breath…

They actually subpoenaed Trump himself?
Amazing.

LOLOL!

OTOH, what is a deranged narcissist going to do to shift attention and possibly declare martial law and set aside any court action? Nuke someone?

I fear posting that tweet here might have been a mistake. Should have waited for it to grow legs. I mean, the dude who tweeted that isn’t really a reporter, the tweet is over a day old now and literally no one else has mentioned those subpoenas. Apologies in advance if it turns out to be BS.

That we’d even think it was real is a sign of the times. But a day old and no other reaction? Now starting to strain credence a bit. But we can still hope!

Resign, have Pence immediately pardon him and all of his associates, and then go back to ripping people off through shady Russian money laundering businesses.

I’m okay with this, but would Trump’s ego allow him to do this? He would have to justify it as the right thing to do, because he is always right.

He would blame it on the government, then Democrats, Obama, and anybody else who possibly could have influence on the investigation. He would make himself look like a victim and his supporters would completely buy it. Then, once pardoned, he would go on a vendetta to personally destroy the reputation of everybody in the GOP.

What he might not be able to get out of are charges filed in NY state courts.

The problem with resigning is he doesn’t look like a winner. He has to be a winner. If he feels he is forced out, he is admitting he lost. He will never want to do that.

I think he would love to have his old life back. He was a TV star and could drive his own car and play as much golf as he wanted. He could grab women by the pussy. He fucked himself by running for the Presidency. He didn’t know what it meant. Hey, Kennedy fucked around and even Bill got hummers in the Oval Office. The 21st century is different. How did Trump know? It’s not like he reads or is aware of much beyond his own thinking about himself.

He’s trapped himself in a prison of his own ego. Show him a way to resign and come out looking like a hero, and he might do it. Short of that, I doubt it will happen.

In a surprise to no one who wont just dismissing it as fake out of hand…

Federal prosecutors working for special counsel Robert Mueller are focusing keenly on the president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., and are trying to determine his intent when he attended a controversial June 9, 2016, meeting with a Russian lawyer, according to a source familiar with the investigation.
[…]
The issue for prosecutors isn’t necessarily whether the information that Trump Jr. got was true. Instead, prosecutors want to know what Trump Jr. was thinking when he got it.

While it’s unclear which law is at issue, federal law forbids campaign officials from soliciting or accepting “things of value” from foreign nationals. But for the violation to rise to a criminal matter rather than just an administrative one, it has to be a “willful” violation, lawyers explained. So to obtain an indictment against Trump Jr., prosecutors would have to establish that he acted with criminal intent, experts said.
[…]
“To prove a willful violation, he said, prosecutors would typically “do a deep dive on the background of the person and all the other times they were involved in campaigns, or may have been exposed to the law. If you are someone who has been involved in campaigns, they can show circumstantially that they knew they were doing something wrong.”

In Trump Jr.’s case, he said, “by the time June rolled around, you would think that they have a bevy of lawyers long since advising them on what campaign rules are.”

You’d think, but you know, Trump.If I had a penny for every time somebody said “Surely they told him not to do that.”…

He would say, “Don’t call me Shirley.” And then wander away.