Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

I’d love to see Columbo try to deal with email in any way, shape or form.

He did run into a lot of advanced technology, like videotapes and Robbie the Robot.

And he appeared to be charmingly confused by all of it. ;)

And then he’d learn ‘one interesting fact’ about email that would nail down the case.

But he’d totally get help from the IT people to do it. ;)

All this Columbo talk is the first time I feel really young on this forum.

I watched the first of what I think were “TV movie” pilots to the series and thought it was charming in a way, but had a bit of a tough time mentally adjusting myself to an era well before I existed in terms of belief-suspension. Especially since tech has become such an enormous component of crime shows, and given the way Columbo kinda straddles the line between cop/detective show and more traditional detective fiction.

Fun snippet from Jennifer Rubin’s latest WaPo column:

Former Justice Department spokesman Matthew Miller tells me, “This was a transparent attempt to continue stoking conspiracy theories about Mueller among Republicans in Congress, the right-wing media and the Republican grass-roots. The best evidence that the Trump team knows their claims are bogus is that they sent this letter to Congress, rather than filed a motion in court, where any claims would be adjudicated based on the facts and the law, not on hysterical nonsense.” He continues, “The letter claimed transition emails were private, but raised privileges that are only available inside the government. It claimed releasing them was against the law, but asked Congress to change the law to forbid it in the future. It implied that what Mueller and the GSA did was inappropriate, but sought relief from Congress, rather than the courts.” He jokes, “Other than that, it was brilliant!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/12/18/here-are-the-latest-games-from-trumps-shoddy-legal-team/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-d%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Honestly, I can’t really think of the guy as Columbo as much as “The grandfather from Princess Bride”

Works for me.

no he’s totally ‘that guy playing Peter Falk in Wim Wenders’s WIngs of Desire

As you wish.

He’ll always be Sam Diamond to me.

" The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France."

70s Columbo is the motherfucking shit. If you haven’t watched them you owe it to yourself to do so. The seasons from the 80s revival and onward aren’t as important because he kind of slips into happy grandpa mode too often, but 70s Columbo is a must-see.

My favorite detective show of all time. I’ve watched various episodes countless times.

I never watched it when it was on – too young – but my wife had fond memories watching reruns with her mom, so I bought her the complete DVD collection, and we pounded through six seasons. It’s so so good, and really holds up well. The episode with Donald Pleasence and the wine cellar is likely my favorite so far, followed by the military academy one.

Spielberg directed the first episode that aired, ‘Murder by the Book’

This - by far my favorite of his roles

They also poke some fun at him in a later episode by naming some child genius after him in the episode with the robot… which is also my second-least favorite episode because of certain contrivances.

My least favorite episode from that era is the one with all the meta humor where Columbo is just making fun of his own show the whole time. Took a couple seasons after that one to get back on track, but unfortunately the last show of the decade aired shortly after, before the series went away for 10ish years.

Trump gets Baron Harkonnen. The Lynch version.