Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

Heh. It was working in the Empire State Building. People learned real fast not to pat me on the back. I can’t find the quote, but I remember Hunter Thompson saying he asked his doctor why he sweated so much. The doctor said something like, Considering the amount of drugs and alcohol you consume. Your body is protecting you. Come see me when you stop sweating.

Back to the topic at hand (not my pecs, dammit!).

Manafort in even more hot water:

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, already under indictment by Department of Justice special counsel Robert Mueller, now has a new legal worry: a civil lawsuit filed by a company linked to a Russian oligarch.

Oleg Deripaska, the oligarch, is an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Deripaska’s company, Surf Horizon Limited, alleges Manafort and his business partner Richard Gates misappropriated millions of dollars. The lawsuit was filed in a New York state court. Deripaska had earlier brought a similar proceeding in the Cayman Islands.

The suit says the pair “vanished more than $18.9 million”

In other words, the Russians want their bribe money back!

Manafort should be happy to be under house arrest. He might avoid the poison in his wine that way.

Do we need to update the thread title?

The same Russian government-aligned hackers who penetrated the Democratic Party have spent the past few months laying the groundwork for an espionage campaign against the U.S. Senate, a cybersecurity firm said Friday.

The revelation suggests the group often nicknamed Fancy Bear, whose hacking campaign scrambled the 2016 U.S. electoral contest, is still busy trying to gather the emails of America’s political elite.

“They’re still very active — in making preparations at least — to influence public opinion again,” said Feike Hacquebord, a security researcher at Trend Micro Inc., which published the report . “They are looking for information they might leak later.”

Yeah. Just delete ‘Secret CIA source claims’ and we’re good.

…also insert “and all future” after the “2016”. And put an “s” on the end of “election”.

This editing is kind of fun. I see why the Senate writes bills this way.

The FBI warned Jared Kushner in 2017 about Wendi Deng Murdoch, says the Wall Street Journal

U.S. counterintelligence officials in early 2017 warned Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, that Wendi Deng Murdoch, a prominent Chinese-American businesswoman, could be using her close friendship with Mr. Kushner and his wife, Ivanka Trump, to further the interests of the Chinese government, according to people familiar with the matter.

Wait, so now she’s a spy for the Chinese? Last time she was part of this storyline, back in 2016, she was supposed to be Putin’s love-toy.

And of course the WSJ belongs to her ex, Rupert. So what’s the angle with that?

The writers need to clean up their acts. The plot is so convoluted I can barely make sense of it even after reading all of the recaps!

Ha ha – it’s getting easier to believe in the Illuminati than some of this stuff, it’s so crazy.

Goddamn Taco Bell better stop fucking with the Illuminati.

The illuminati was zelda all along!

That account is satire, sadly.

Related.

If this is true, this would be obstruction of Justice.

I believe the White House will win that case because the House Intel Committee has no intention of asking any questions related to Justice.

From the Politico article I just saw, it wasn’t clear whether he continued to refuse to answer questions after the subpoena. Heard anything?

No idea, but he wouldn’t have any legitimate reason not to answer. If the white house asked him not to answer though, and didn’t exercise executive privilege, that’s basically just obstruction of Justice.

Once they subpoenaed him, then he has to answer, otherwise face his own case of contempt.

Add it to the pile.

Big, big big IF Also relying on the lack of assertion of executive privilege by the WH quote. The only way I could even see them not asserting it is if they fucked up and forgot to (which, given this administration, is entirely possible, I might add).

Hey, guys! Remember when obstruction of justice was a thing? Whew. Good times.