Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

Won’t have to fire Sessions if he just leaves, a win win for Trump!

Yeah, it saves him a toilet tweet.

IMHO, it was the only path which would allow him not to break his Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the US against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

He chose the path to try to uphold his statement AND protect the FBI, over the Oath to the Constitution, and for that I definitely fault him.

Err, no, it’s not at all.

IMHO, Sessions actually has a moral code, but boy howdy do I disagree with a lot of the views he holds about it. He’s still better ethically and morally than most in this Administration (he and Pence may be the only ones… and I have even bigger problems with Pence and his religious bigotry).

Well reasoned arguments. While I have quibbles with it (not surprising given our different perspective), I am surprisingly largely in agreement. What has me troubled is the vitriol with which Comey is attacked by the left; even if his judgement comes into question, that doesn’t make the man himself a sanctimonious, self-serving asshole.

(Tangentially, I think the acquiescence of nearly everyone to the right wing rage machine is an overlooked issue that needs to be addressed. Sadly, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.)

Agreed. What kind of bitter irony is it that? Worst anti-hero ever.

I don’t know what that means. Maybe we should terminate the investigation immediately and seal all related documents until 2088, just to be safe.

That Trump thinks he is now beloved leader-for-life ?

Everyone knows that Trump thinks it means something because someone on Fox said so, right?

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/987535533361348608

C’mon, Ken. Tell us how you really feel, lol.

“Special Council”. This is our President.

I know what it means. It means you should be in jail, you fucking putz. Is that clear?

Is it Trump being an idiot, or someone working for Trump pretending to be an idiot because otherwise nobody would believe it was him?

Thanks. I think your point is important also. Even if I’m completely wrong, and HumanTon is right and I’ve been conned into believing the Comey acted for the good of the country, rather than to protect his own reputation, and he harbored a huge grudge against Clinton, that all happened in 2016.

In 2018, the former head of the FBI is out publicly saying that Trump is morally unfit to be President. That’s unprecedented. It is unprecedented, either because A. Comey was an awful FBI director, and he is seeking vengeance against the man who fired him, and will do anything including lie to bring Trump down. or because B. Trump character makes him unfit to hold the office, and Comey, the patriot, is speaking out to protect the country, just like he did when convicted Mafia bosses.

If you are trying to convince wavering Trump supporters, that Comey is yet another reason why Trump has to go, B. is a lot more compelling argument.

Trump supporters have already dug into the position that Trump’s character does not matter. That ship sailed during the primary in 2016.

During the campaign I kept running across people, including my dad, saying that Trump was a “baby Christian” who had not yet reached spiritual maturity and that’s why his behavior was so rough.

At a family New Years get together someone gave that excuse again. Typically the time of and shortly after being born again is the season of greatest change in a baby Christian’s life - every evangelical knows that as a normal pattern.

I pointed out that if he had gotten saved then there would by now have been some sign of change but instead we’ve no sign of repentance at all. My relative had no counter to that.

Unless/until he actually does have a spiritual awakening, Trump’s behavior will continue to be reprehensible so that the Religious Right will finally have to make a final choice between worshiping Jesus Christ or continuing in idolatry for their political inclinations.

Let me take a wild stab at which direction they’ll go there…

I’m a godless heathen and I somehow manage not to comport myself like a six year old