Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

What a shit show.

Wow, 55 new posts. I wonder what…

I honestly hate when threads like this blow up. I just know I’m going to be unwell.

If the net result of the NYT getting played by a source with an agenda is that the rest of the news media gets played by an apparent firing that turns out just to be a routine meeting, I’m not gonna complain. This is a moment when egg on face is better for all of us.

Some possibilities:

1. The straightforward one: Trump has always wanted Rosenstein gone and is finally following through on it. Though the argument against this is that it really screws up the midterms for the GOP, so why not wait until after?

2. Whoever spent a year engineering the NYT Rosenstein piece assumed it would lead to a hue and cry calling for Rosenstein’s ouster; this then would be part two of the plan, making it clear Rosenstein wasn’t wanted by calling him on the carpet but offering him the honorable way out by resigning. The only problem is that reality isn’t playing ball: the story landed with a flop, not outrage (even at Fox News) and Rosenstein is calling the bluff. (This theory pretty much requires Kelly to be in on the NYT piece.)

3. (Hastily checks the news to make sure this one hasn’t been ruled out yet.) This is an intentional tactic to divert from the new multiple accusations against Kavanaugh, in which case Rosenstein’s job is actually safe.

Option 3 is actually somewhat clever … which in this administration is the best argument against it being true.

Theory number 2 is far-fetched because it assumes that someone in the Trump administration is able to formulate a complex plan but stupid enough to fail to see that no one will fall for it. Then again, we just had the whole Kavenaugh-doppelganger-theory debacle, so who knows?

Maybe some introspection from news sources on how they cover things, and teach them to be careful about how they present things.

Nah, who am I kidding, it’s all about dem clicks.

Rosenstein himself thinks the NYT story was sourced to someone in the DOJ who wants him out.

McConnell wouldn’t let a bill to protect Miller from being fired come to the floor for a vote. Congress knew exactly what the stakes were.

Pete Williams says Rosenstein remains the Deputy Attorney General and acting in that stead at the principles meeting of the cabinet, at least at this hour.

So…dunno.

Yeah, because why would you want to keep the US from turning into Imperial Rome, amirite?

Refused to resign.

Kelly may not have the authority to fire?

Trump meeting Thursday.

NM. Per this, Thursday meeting is Rosenstein’s request.

Am I the only one who sees the name Sarah Sanders and automatically assume she’s lying?

I didn’t think we had to go as far as to assume anything about her lying. I just assumed it was a universal constant.

Story seems to be that Trump wants Rosenstein to resign, Rosenstein won’t, and Trump is as always reluctant to wield the ax himself. So, stalemate for the moment.

I’ve seen what happens Thursday by the way, and it’s not pretty. Also, the Rams lose bigtime to the Vikes, defying all logic and Vegas spreads. Get your bets in now!

GOP war room: Alright folks drill’s over, everyone get back to your regularly scheduled defense of sex predators.

This guy is going for my theory #2.

A Thursday meeting points to theory #3, on the other hand. Gee, what else is happening Thursday?

Isn’t that when Infrastructure Week starts?