Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

Does he have a legal leg to stand on? I don’t think the court can proactively assume intent of the committee members.

I suppose he doesn’t just go and please the 5th because they’ll make him look bad for that, too?

Not sure on the legalities, but he could probably show evidence that it happened in the past.

But at the end of the day it’s a legislative process for the most part, so the courts can’t really do a whole lot as far as I know. Then again, he was in charge of the FBI and a lawyer, so he probably knows better than I do.

More info:

Comey, in the filing, argues that a closed-door meeting violates House rules, as all hearings should be public unless they endanger national security, compromise sensitive law enforcement information, or defame, degrade or incriminate any person. He said that none of those exemptions applied to his testimony.

“Because the need for secrecy here is pretextual, because the Joint Committees have abused their powers with the selective leaks, and because Mr. Comey is willing to testify in public, the Joint Committee’s insistence that Mr. Comey appear in private should be closely scrutinized to determine whether the exception to the presumption of openness applies,” the motion continues.

Click through motion has the legal citations:

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000167-61a1-d097-a777-61a3e20c0001

I dont believe the source. Everyone who works for Trump has been in the business of lying to the American people from day 1.

Why the hell should anyone believe them now their master is going down? Its another transparent attempt to plant in the media the lie that there are “good nazi”'s working against the regime form the inside.

I dont believe a fucking word of it.

Makes sense. I should have assumed the House has rules about hearings being public given the nature of the organization and the like. Of course they can probably just change the rules or something stupid because Congress.

I seem to recall some of the background cases have to do with the abuse of secret meetings by the HUAC (House Un-American Activities Commission) under McCarthy.

I hope everyone realizes that if Trump and Pence go down somehow, Nancy Pelosi becomes the President if she’s Speaker of the House.

Would make a perfect ending to the movie.

I’m good with this. Bring it.

Yup. Proven to be capable and smart. Also good enough to survive the RW smears that Clinton couldn’t.

Oh so delicious.

You know he’s got some major stress diarrhea going on.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlimsyAlienatedFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

To be fair, there’s no current indication that Pence played any role in these shenanigans, so that scenario is extremely unlikely. So just for fun, the way VP succession works is that Pence would nominate someone who would then need to be confirmed by both houses of Congress.

That would lead to some interesting negotiations with the House. But the position is not required to be filled and the politically expedient solution might be to just leave it empty. Of course that’s unless there’s some cloud hanging over Pence putting him in jeopardy, in which case they’d want some Republican in the position. But it’d be unlikely that Pence could choose someone crazy, and if that cloud does exist, it’d be in Dems’ interest to block any nominee.

It’s really the only way this movie can end, isn’t it?

And that’s how we end up with President Kasich.

Timex just got a boner and doesn’t know why.

Hey guys maybe President Ryan could make it under the wire!

Except for all the times he swore the Trump campaign had nothing to do with Russia.