Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

If we were only given one like to bestow per year, and I had not used mine, this would be the one to get it for 2018.

I doubt anything will come of this - it’s a private watchdog group, not a government agency filing suit - but it’ll be nice to see Rudy sweat a little.

They;re just doing what Judicial Watch does on the other side, and Judicial watch has been pretty effective, so…

More on the Butina plea deal.

ABC News says they have have a copy of the deal.

heard it from here

so the NRA has ties to Russia, interesting

It seems strange to me, given the risk to her own safety, that Butina would agree to cooperate. I assume, given that she will be deported back to Russia when this is all over, and that she’s been visited by Russian attorneys since her arrest, that whatever action she takes and whatever information she reveals, it’s with the sanction of The Kremlin.

The other interesting thing about her plea is that there are likely a number of Senators feeling nervous about what she might have to say. I wonder if that will be a factor in their support of Mueller and whether it could influence potential impeachment proceedings one way or the other. One of the few scenarios I can see where Tepublicans might support impeachment would be if they were starting to get a sense that the longer the investigation goes on, the more like they are going to be personally implicated in something and so maybe it’s better to speed the process along.

It’s sort of breathtaking how the entire conservative movement got compromised by Russia so quickly.

Ronnie’s probably spinning in his grave.

So, Trump is no longer useful to the Russians, spreading chaos and discord in US politics is now more beneficial.

This isn’t new news; McClatchy, Mother Jones and NPR have been reporting on it for the better part of a year. The FBI has been investigating for longer than that.

It’s potentially a much bigger story than Trump-Russia. The suspicion is that Russia was laundering contributions to politicians through the NRA, meaning countless congressmen may have been on the Russian payroll. The question then becomes, did they know that or not? (Gee, sure is strange that the GOP has been so passive about Trump’s dealings with Russia …)

Trump/Russia and NRA/Russia are connected by Alexander Torshin, Russian pol and deputy governor of the Russian central bank. Torshin was Butina’s mentor, and also set up a meeting with Trump Jr. during May 2016 - at the NRA’s convention.

The really odd thing about this story is how little traction it’s gotten in the wider mass media. The Butina story would be dynamite at any other time. But it’s a complex one, and it’s much easier for everybody to focus on Trump’s brain-damaged outburst of the day instead.

I mean, they have been modeling their politics after Putin’s strongman regime, so it makes sense?

It’s one of the things that pisses me off so bad… Growing up in the 80’s, the Soviets were the bad guys. They were the evil empire.

And Putin… is a soviet. He’s cut from exactly that cloth.

It is s what happens when a party goes all in on The Ends justify the Means.

They don’t even have good ends.

Ronnie, who made a deal to prolong the hostage crisis so he could use it to win the election? That Ronnie?

I’ll take “unsubstantiated conspiracy theories” for 1000, Alex.

If only Mueller had been on the job then.

Well if I’ve learned anything from the past few years, it’s that Republicans would certainly never work with a foreign government in order to influence a Presidential election.