Secret World Legends

I dinged level 50 and cleared out all the missions in Egypt. I love how they introduced the jumping portals into the city of the Sun God, it’s now my favourite zone. In TSW I rushed through the area and never looked back because of the frustrating map layout. Now it’s much easier and I got to enjoy the quests related to the guardians. I loved the movie cut scenes for each mission, there was something about a squabbling group of kids who are doomed for eternity that brings out the pathos.

Arise thread!

I began playing this game this past weekend, and am really enjoying it. Still on the first island in New England but having a blast. Anyone else still playing?

I’ll be dipping in for some of the Krampus content for the holidays

That sounds fun!

Off and on. I generally at least log in for my daily reward and lifetime patron cache key. Over Thanksgiving I finally hit 50 and am mostly done with Egypt.

I’ve finished Tokyo and gotten everything up to yellow. Now I just log on daily to also get the patron key. Waiting for the promised new content to arrive.

Holy shit. A few days ago I ran into an investigation mission I’d never seen before though I thought I’d done everything main-mission-wise except for some Nightmare Transylvania missions and Tokyo in the old game. It’s called The Angry Earth, and apparently it was there in the original game as well, but I just missed it somehow. (It turns up in Agartha, of all places, and you have to do some specific Egypt side mission - as I tend to not worry much about finishing these, that’s probably why I didn’t run into it.)

Which turns out to be a huge oversight because it kicks off this gigantic quest line, the only one I’ve seen outside of the main story quests, running all across both zones of Egypt. Mysterious tremors, Atenists, the Secret World version of the tale of Aladdin, King Solomon, a classic Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones esque trip through the bowels of the Black Pyramid (complete with plenty of puzzles, traps, and torchlight) and a hellatious boss fight all await. It’s pretty amazing.

They just did a big patch adding an “agent” system. It looks very similar to e.g. assassin guilds from the later Assassin’s Creed games or sending crafters on missions in Neverwinter etc etc. Of course they sell randomized boosters of them for real money, but you can also get them as rewards from a bunch of different game activities. I’m a sucker for these but it is kind of a classic F2P move.

Have they done anything to flesh out the character development, or even change how it works? I really miss the absurdly detailed nuts and bolts of the original release’s character builds. When Legends came out, I was sorely disappointed that so much of that had been streamlined out of the game in favor of something that felt more console friendly.

-Tom

Nope. I mean, they’ve tweaked some numbers and given everyone a value they can adjust towards DPS, tanking or healing on the fly which now adjusts a single unified item power stat rather than requiring you to have a completely separate item for each role (although the special bonuses are still role-specific, as are glyphs). But not expanded or complicated build options to speak of. Or brought back secondary weapons, even. Nor have they added any new story content past Tokyo like was the big selling point of the F2P conversion. I’m still hoping that part is coming. I don’t think they plan to make the character development any better. And like you I really preferred the old system.

Can you still play the old system, and if so is there any downside to doing that?

You can play the classic version of the game still, but it won’t be updated, progress doesn’t transfer, and most people have switched. There is no way to go back to the old mechanics inside Legends.

So would you recommend a new player (well mostly new - I don’t think I made it past the small town you go to after the city) play classic or new if:

• they may never get passed all of the classic content
  • doesn’t care if there aren’t any other players

Tough call. I would say that the character development and combat are a bunch better in the original game, also it didn’t have a bunch of F2P bullshit. On the other hand the dungeons are cool and you can actually trivially run them in Legends. Also the Tokyo zones are likely to be meaningfully more accessible in Legends if you get that far.

What makes the dungeons cool (I’ve never seen on in Secret World)? Could you solo them in Legends but not in Classic?

They’re the best small-group dungeon content in any MMO. The boss fights are interesting and, in some cases, just spectacular to look at. There’s very little trash to clean up. But mostly, the storylines from the main game are expanded in the dungeons, and those storylines are the game’s primary strength.

You can’t solo them without very nice gear, but Legends did introduce “Story Mode,” an easy mode for dungeons appropriate for those who just want to see the content. That makes them easy to complete with virtually any pickup group of three.

I would recommend Legends for a new player. It’s more polished and approachable, and that’s where most of the community has gone. Even if you plan to solo most of the time, which is perfectly viable, the ease of forming groups for dungeons alone is a big advantage for the sequel.

I’ve not played the Legends reboot, but this might get me to jump in at some point.

They added a minion/pet system recently called ‘agents’ where you can level them up and send them on missions for loot while you’re offline.

New Chapter to follow the Morninglight to SOuth Africa is now available. :)

An Anniversary event has started. The by now standard login gifts every day, once an hour instanced fight both apply, there’s a special anniversary lootbox, there are pinatas around, there’s an event currency, there’s new emotes and lore, etc. Started yesterday, will run through 7/17.