Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

And yet Resident Evil Raccoon City got 3 stars. Lol why do people still read Tom's stuff?

Been playing The Secret World for a while now and not a single issue. Stop commenting and move on, don't give him more traffic.

He gave Diablo 3 a good score and didn't mention any launch problems. He gave Raccoon City a good score even though the game is terrible AND has bugs.
He gave Deus Ex a crap score.
He gave The Secret World a crap score and mentioned bugs that I never encountered.

His review is pointless. Move on. Don't post and don't give this tool traffic.

Seeing as how The Secret World has a lot more similarities with Deus Ex than it does with Diablo 3, Mr. Tom Chick simply couldn't figure out how to play it. Being unable to solve a few quests, he wrote that they are bugged.

There, I solved the issue of why he thinks the game is so buggy. Do I get a prize?

No wonder you didnt like the game, you havent been playing it. You skipped what sets it apart from the rest of the lot. If a good story is not what you are after that is ok, people have different tastes after all. But giving the game 40 is plain unproffessional.

I bet this shill only wrote the ONE negative review to show up at the main page of the metacritic site, so he gets a couple of clicks on his crappy site.

Your entire review seems to be based off a starting area. Each mission you posted, I too have found some issues with; however, you site many and list only a few. The rest you skipped becauae of tje potential for them to be bad. So your review is of a starting area assumptions about the other missions in the game, and what? Oh and the lighthouse mission you ate refering to was not broke you probably were not patient enough to wait for the creatire to walk up a hill. So I will make my own assumption. You did not play the game very long. Yet you posted a review. That is about as food as a food critic basing an entire meal off of theor first sip of water. Great job!!! Now go back, play past Solomon Island, then give your review.

What I enjoy the most is how a so-called reviewer posts a screenshot of his "aptly developed character". His/her screenshot has a total of 3 active abilities, all of which seem to be melee, precisely blade. That is how much of the game it seems that he/she actually played. Most of the alleged unsolvable quests are in fact that players are not doing it right. You mention that you will have moments when you will give it the ol'college try, before restorting to google. This game is not an easy game. Period. This game is not for everyone. It is quite undortunate, that you did not write that on your review. I will say it again, this is not an easy game, that is what makes it such a breath of fresh air!
Funcom should make more instanced zones in order to prevent other players from simultaneouslty tryiing to solve a quest. That is what I suspect happened to you on your alleged unsolvable quests. It is probably that someone started it, and left. You walk in to the quest and think that it is unsolvable because someone else had it in progress. You would have realized it if you had progressed more than a paltry 3 / 7 active abilities. You should have done the smart thing, skip the quest and continue on. But no, you chose to give the game, which you know is hard and different 4/10... considering that you only played part of the first zone, that is not so bad, if you had actually played more than that, I am certain that your rating would have been higher.

Some bugs in most innvovative MMO of the year a week after launch-> two stars. You do terrible job in explaining what the game is like.

"What's this?? My Quest didn't work?? FFS BROKEN GAME!!!"
Your review reminds more of Barrens General Chat than the commentary section here. This should earn some achievment in an MMO of your choosing.

TSW has had me glued to it since it was released. I'm not going to compare to any other game because really it isn't like any other game. Sure its an MMO and there is bound to be some similarities, but on the whole it is a very unique game. The story is great, the fact that even if you completely mess a build up you can just put points into another tree and not have to worry about re-specing your powers or skills or even creating a new character.

There are going to be bugs, but honestly speaking out of the 469 missions i've done there have been maybe 2 or 3 that have bugged and have now been fixed. PVP is a little different but still fun, the gear system is great, auction house needs to be fixed and i'm sure it will be, but other than that its a really great game.

I've played a lot of other MMO's in my time and this is one of the better ones. It doesn't feel grindy even if the missions are a bit similar, i don't even mind repeating missions because i'm so happy i can fill out different trees and not create a new character.

The great thing about this game is it requires you to actually use your brain, a lot of my friends and fellow gamers gave up because they prefer a game like DCUO or Diablo 3 where by its simple and really doesn't require much thinking which is fine, each to there own. But if you want a game which actually makes you think outside the box it really is wonderful.

I personally think that Mr chick hasn't given this game a very good chance at proving itself worthy. I've dealt with frustrating bugs, but giving up after one or two missions is just pathetic. I mean look at diablo 3, people couldn't even get on the game, dcuo had the same issues with its login quess. Move on, go to the next mission, especially when there are areas full of different missions, investigations and sabotages. The story line its self will keep you busy and thinking for a while.

It ticks all my boxes, but thats just me. With all the there MMO's coming out these days its a breath of fresh air. Tera was fun and then just got so boring, it seemed like a great game, but after a week, i just didn't want play. This game on the other hand has had me back everyday after work for 3 weeks. I mean come on, zombies and shotguns, plus your friends what more can you ask for. The game went back to basics and then added some.

TSW might not appeal to everyone, but i think if your going to comment on it, actually play the game, not play it and look for things to criticise because at the end of the day if your a gamer, you will learn to deal with bugs, not every game is perfect when it comes out, but if you love games and you love to play them with other people, you learn to live with bugs. Hats off to the developers because they've done a great job.

you ass

Absolutely poor review and rating. I've been playing TSW since launch and have only encountered 1 broken quest that was remedied by a GM in < 5 mins. This game is the best PVE experience I've ever witnessed in an MMO, hands down.

The devs have been quickly fixing small issues and have already added content in the 1.1 patch. There is now an auction house (trading post); although there are currently issues, at least the foundation is ready.

PVP needs a little work, but again the foundation is there. The REAL critique can be made after another 1-2 months; either FC expands/matures basic elements or players will lose interest. To give TSW a 40% out of the gate is asinine and disingenuous. I give it a solid 80%.

The Problem with his dude is: His opinion matters for the meta score. And while I think that metacritic is a bane and the whole industry would be better off without it, his fucked up review could influence the success of this game.

A guy who could not up with simply asking if a quest is bugged or not instead of "spoiling" his experience with searching the correct solution for a potential bugged quest. /facepalm

well i would read more from him but because his review is so bad, i lack the confidence to read anything else written by him.

What in hell gives you the right to publish this review?! You better delete this garbage before you get sued!

What an incredibly bad review. It's like somebody not liking a trip to Rome because a door at the airport was broken.

Quarter to Three should get banned from Metacritic. When Journey has metascore of 92 and you give it 40, Max Payne 3 a 40 and you rate 12,3% lower score than an average reviewer, fuck off.

Watch this game for years it was suppose to be free to play. i dont mind buying your game for 49.99 but monthly fee just has never appealed to me. judging from the reviews from websites and friends, ill give it 6 more months till its free to play and bugs are fixed

Just read your Aug blog report on TSW. Do you still rate it a 2..seeing as how you seem to be liking the game.

Scythian, as you can imagine, a lot of the issues that plagued the game in its first few weeks have been addressed nicely. Secret World is way better now that it was when it was released.

This isn't the only negative review, and broken games are no fun. It's a puzzle missing pieces, and the pieces aren't numbered.
Haven't you ever been so frustrated with a new game that you wanted to take a birthday cake sized crap on the company? Well he has the means to do it and you don't.

It is clear that The Secret World is not for everyone. I find the author to have completely missed the boat on The Secret World - because, like all of its other genre breaking attributes, it requires its players to THINK. In the literally hundreds of hours that I have played I have only come across a small handful of broken quests. Some think the quest is broken and give up, but in fact they simply were not doing what they needed to in order to solve it. This is not a game for people who rage quit things because they are too hard. I spent almost 6 hours trying to figure out a single encounter... and I loved it! I don't think I have ever yelled and jumped for joy during a game since my first raid boss in EQ. It was glorious and I want more challenges like that. As Joel Bylos said in an interview "We expect you to die... a lot... and to learn and to adapt from that experience." If you don't like dying - DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

I suggest that the reviewer go back and actually play the game without the obvious preconceptions and bias and then revisit this review.