Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

Funny, I was able to finish most of those missions during head start and the ones you skirted worked fine. Yes I had to port to other instances in some cases, which was a pain, but at least I could find a work around. I think this is just not the game for you and your bias and predisposition toward it are clear in your review. Frankly I have to take your opinion with a very large grain of salt,

hrm well i think TSR was and still is quite awesome.
id personally give it around about 80-85 out of a hundred, not 40, i feel like that score was a little harsh, i mean the game is loads of fun, and considering it only cost $50 which included my first month of play, totally worth the 20+ hours i have already put into it.

it should be noted that i did puchase this in august, and i have not had any quest bugs yet, was it still in beta when you were playing?

Who really cares what some moron posting a review on a backwater website has to say lol.

reading his review its clear he does not like the game and will use any reason he can to promote his one sided views.

If you look at his other reviews you can clearly see how he contradicts himself constantly.

Ig this guy was good at his job he would be on a more respected website not this unknown joke site.

The only thing I have taken from this review is that the guy who posted it has no clue what he is talking about and loves to use double standards.

Ok. I love world of warcraft(Still haven't found something that keeps me away though the latest patch is pretty hard to swallow <.<), hate guild wars 2(in my opinion it's boring and there is no drive to continue playing...), and I enjoy alittle Aion(when I get the urge to fly around all cool-like). But I'm personally getting tired of fantasy and though star wars: the old republic is ok and throws in the bioware feel that made mass effect so amazing it just can't keep me interested. A few years ago a game came out called Tabula Rasa that made alot of noise for being a combination of sci-fi, 3rd-person shooter-like, and mmorpg. It had alot of amazing ideas but they made the mistake of releasing it when they should have waited because alot of things weren't complete with it. Essentially we spent around 50 bucks for a beta version of the game, and after giving a valiant effort at keeping people on-board they eventually closed their servers. I think Secret World is an amazing concept and it's pretty fun in my opinion, also interesting, but I feel like funcom did a tabula rasa here and released the game too soon. I'll keep playing and hopefully this extremely interesting concept will have it's edges smoothed so that they don't fall the way of tabula rasa and we are left with only fantasy titles, Star Wars, and Eve online....again...

I have no idea how this person became a reviewer, but I suppose he is clueless when looking at the other games he has reviewed. giving high scores to games that was hyped up, and low to games he didnt feel was right. Did he ever play the games at all??

Let me guess you gave guild wars 2 100 and tsw 40 something rotten smells here i must say.I think someone got very subjective.Reviewers lose their validity with such foul play thats all i have to say.

love when people write crap without even taking the time to deepen their experience of the gameplay of a game
I knew that with Age of Conan, which was heavily criticized for its release ... And proved to be one of the best MMO "med-fan" both in terms of graphics than gameplay.
Strangely, I finished all the quests TSW without encountering difficulty in terms of gameplay.
The difficulty from the mostly necessary research to solve some puzzles.
Yes, sometimes there is some bug. Something that crash for example ... The solution: change place or come back later.
When the challenges of group and raids, they are excellent! Requiring responsiveness and comprehension strategies.

In fact the only real problem Secret World is the large number of morons players do not play - or have vaguely tried - and critics charge.

PS: For those who have not understood I am French, I play with an English cabal, and I like TSW.

PPS: FREE. Once purchased the game, you can play all you want. That alone, without even talking about content additions, it's worth.

"I disagree with you" = 29 year old, 300 pound loser?

I'm going to go ahead and take a part of your comment real quick: "I am writing you today to let you know you are retarded".

I clicked on this review because it was the lowest on metacritic and I have to say I actually agree. Not 100% - I would still rate this game higher than 2 stars because of so many other things it does right - but I definitely reached a point in investigation missions where I ended up spoiling some of the puzzles because I was looking them up to make sure they weren't broken (because some of the time, they actually were!) That's a pretty big letdown considering it's part of what made the game unique.

I do agree with some of the complaints though, that if the characterization & voice acting, setting, etc. didn't make up for this for you, it would be helpful if you addressed that. :P

This review is fishier then a newfoundland cookout, played TSW since beta along with many other mmos and too many times reading this review I thought to myself, what the hell is he talking about? Thats just outright not true.

Anyone reading this review go to meta critic, see the overall picture and take this with a grain of salt.

I can say that playing it much more recently i have only experienced a puzzle breaking once. aside from that the game actually does a lot to make me enjoy it, such as the fact that since the skills need more points to get them yet i get points faster later on in the game, it feels like I'm speeding up while the advancement actually slows down, even if you know about it.

I wonder how this game is doing now since it's been patched a few times?

Thanks for your honest review Tom Chick. I'll stay away from this and stick to Spiral Knights.

I recommend you take a look at the game again, the quests may be a bit convoluted at times but none are flat out broken anymore

As someone else who played this game at launch and for a while thereafter, a few things to note to anyone who comes to this review ages later:

1) The quests breaking was, in fact, a thing, but it wasn't THAT common. The problem was that, yes, it did happen sometimes... and it was incredibly frustrating when it did. You see, The Secret World, unlike a lot of MMORPGs, sharply limits how many quests you can work on at the same time. This means that if you're doing the one quest you are doing at a time, and it breaks... you're SOL. You need to go and do another quest and discard that one and start it over from scratch, after a server reset. Frustratingly, the bugs weren't consistent - it was more of a "after a while, every once in a while, the trigger would break and the quest would stop working". I only ever had it happen a couple of times, though one quest in particular was particularly bad about it.

2) The game has amazing, incredible atmosphere. There's no other MMO that I've played that comes even close to its atmosphere. Frankly, I don't think there's ever been another MMO where I was actually interested in the world and wanted to keep playing. The characters are vibrant and the world is interesting and draws you into it.

3) The game had its ups and downs. The second major zone (of three in the game at launch) was just not as good as the first zone or the last zone. Being Egyptian/sand/desert themed, it had some okay ideas, but it wasn't nearly as interesting as what you were up to in the first area or the last one. Combined with one of the zones being very poorly laid out, and having the least interesting characters in the game, and the fifth area of the game was a place that I would never want to go back to. The final areas of the game were better, though.

4) The dungeons were really cool, but you'd never, ever fight the ordinary monsters in them because it was a waste of time. The bosses were neat, especially in the nightmare versions of them (the endgame versions of the dungeons which you played in a bunch).

5) Every character being capable of filling every role made it much easier to find groups for dungeons.

6) You'll probably complete the entire game 100% within 3 months and never play it again. That's okay.

Thing is, I actually had fun with the game, so I can't really complain that I played through the story, did the endgame content, then was done with it. That's really what happens with all games, and I felt like the time I had with the game was fun.