Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

Hey, no need to knock Guild Wars 2. I'll be playing that game as well, and so might these two reviewers, but that doesn't excuse their very poor reviews.

The game will be a very successfully, regardless what Tom chick thinks.

The developers at Funcom could not be bothered to complete their game. Why should Tom be bothered with a complete review? It's broken. Don't buy it. That's all you need to know.

Every game, every single MMO, will be bugged at launch. To what extent is debatable. The point is, the game isn't that buggy. I can make a safe assumption that you haven't even played the game, and yet you're acting like this one review confirms that it's a broken, buggy mess. Others have had very different experiences.

That'll show him!

A review can never be more objective than the reviewer, and I'm not sure you're better off with robots writing those for you.

No you don't.

Really? I guess we'll see. It's a pretty niche game to start with, made by a developer with a rocky track record, and the reviews aren't exactly on fire. I'd imagine it'll sell a fair number of boxes but the long-term subscription trendline will be mostly down, followed by the inevitable free-to-play conversion.

whoever hired them, whatever their motivation, but they seem both connected in their agenda of lies. Like mafia buddies. Perhaps they were fired at Funcom or the strategy is to gain site clicks with false or controversial reviews.
regarding guildwar, I just cant sniff another medieval setting and that artficial viral marketing hype around that game, that is all. I´m not playing with cartoon animals no matter how good or bad it is.

around 700 k players now?

Then guess what? It doesn't belong on metacritic. You can have all the opinions you want, but they don't belong in the metacritic aggregate.

Wait, after all the time I've played, you think I've only reached the start of Blue Mountain, "if even that"? How slow do you think this game goes?

At any rate, the weather's nice in Egypt this time of year. Wish you were here. We could have mulled around A Terrible Big Picture together before seeing the patch notes that it won't work until tomorrow!

The games chat system , 1 star

Source?

700k registered for the open beta. If you've seen actual sales figures of 700,000 already then that would be pretty successful!

It'll probably be free to play within six months.

Every review is an opinion. Google the meaning of "critic".

And of-course the question is... Will you go back and increase the score after tomorrows patch with a couple dozen+ bug fixes? No? I guessed as much :p

You seem to be making a lot of decrees re: Proper Games Journalism. Metacritic aren't concerned with how individual scores are decided.

Opinions don't belong on a review aggregate? Reviews consist of opinions only.

Well then, if you went any faster you obviously didn't enjoy each zone to their fullest.
Review the game again after you have watched all the cutscenes, explored all the zones, gathered and read a lot of the lore, talked to each of the characters, and actually cared to think about the story.
Seriously, your eyes will be open to a brand new world.
I am in the valley of the sun god and, yes, the big, terrible, picture is the only truly incomplete-able quest.

Yeah, except professional reviewers (who should be the only ones counted on metacritic) at least attempt to be objective and cover all the bases of the game, regardless of whether they personally find it interesting or not. They take into account other aspects of the game even if some parts of it fail (such as the quest bugs). That's the hallmark of good criticism and feedback, of which this review has none.