Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

There are about 5-7 quests with trigger bugs that can be worked around but only one quest that can't be worked around.

-

No, they don't.

So if Tom said the graphics were pretty and the atmosphere was good, this would suddenly be a valid review. Spare me. You're simply trying to undermine the author's capabilities to justify your own opinion. It's called "ad hominem".

He shouldn't have to. He's reviewing the game as it stands.

Scores don't exist to stroke your ego, and it consistently amazes me how butthurt people get about them. If you know the patch improve the game then... play it. Jeez.

do us all a favor and skip the planned diary, more bitching on FC and this brilliant game is certainly not necessary. Play your five star rating games, like that pinball game

Why would I do that? I like talking about this game. I actually like a lot of things about it. And what am I supposed to do with all these screenshots I've been taking?

I do wonder if it can sustain a subscription model. But I hope it does well, because its success would be a sign that there's room for MMOs that stray from the typical WOW mold. We definitely need more of that.

If you like a lot of things about it, why didn't you even gloss over them in your review? You could have spent some time letting us know what you liked and didn't like instead of spending 5 paragraphs on complaining about the bugs. That's not a review, that's you complaining about bugs passing it off as a review.

And I have to ask you. Once these bugs are ironed out and fixed, do you still consider this game a 2 out of 5? Considering that's basically the only major beef you had with this game, I can't see how it would be fair to leave it at that score. If you disagree though, I'd like to see you explain why. Or at least incorporate it into your review.

Talk about ad hominems and putting words in my mouth. Thanks, but I never said that. My point is that if you're going to objectively try and review a game like an MMO, you damn well better have more than just "it's buggy and therefore it fails completely". It's a little mind boggling that you can't even grasp that

I just can't decide: do I want this game to succeed so that Funcom has additional resources to dedicate to concluding The Longest Journey's story, or do I want this game to fail so that existing resources are freed up to conclude The Longest Journey's story?

Oh, lordy, *all* the cutscenes? And *all* the zones? Each of the characters? Do I have to? Also, how much do I have to think about the story? I've already skipped a bunch of the stupid cutscenes. At least the ones without Jeffry Combs. Do I need to go back and rewatch those?

It won't.

Every single potential MMO starts off strong on the subscription front due to all the hype and promotion, but they all die a quick death as soon as people reach the end game content and realise that there is absolutely nothing left to do.

It is going to take a miraculous MMORPG with a giant team of people capable of churning out insane amounts of content in very short spans of time to sustain any MMO on the subscription model long term in this market.

I don't believe for a second that this is going to be that MMO.

Why didn't you wrote that in your review too, quite odd?

Why? It's a perfectly valid complaint.

"The game is buggy. My sense of immersion in the game has been broken because of that fact. I'm no longer enjoying the experience."

With a name like Tom Chick, I'd churn out trashy misinformed reviews like crazy too.

Tim, reviews are never timeless. They are almost always a snapshot of a single person's opinion at a single point in time. Hence the date and byline. I gave the game well over a week since its launch. Do you feel that's too soon to run a review?

That said, I'll happily cover whatever updates come along while I'm doing the game diaries. I really like a lot of things about this game and I want it to succeed.

I feel like I have some valid concerns here, I'd appreciate if you could answer them and clear some things up.

Again, I never said it wasn't a valid complaint. You're still basically ignoring what I'm saying. I actually completely agree with the author about the bug issue - it's frustrating and sometimes it just makes you want to close the game in frustration. But that DOES NOT excuse leaving out everything else in your review. It doesn't excuse not touching on the positive aspects of the game. It doesn't even excuse not touching on the other negative aspects of the game. And it certainly doesn't excuse basing your ENTIRE score on the bugs, of which all MMO's have tons of at release.

"I call people liars for having a different experience and then saying that THEIR experience is the only experience you'll have."

And where exactly was this said?

Well, I don't agree with your premise, since I consider some of the other complaints major.

As for how many broken quests I ran into, the three that pretty much destroyed my confidence in the game were the Men in Black Vans, Black House, and Big Terrible Picture errors. I had a broken telescope in the lighthouse quests whose name I can't recall. I submitted petitions multiple times and never received a single response. There were other quests that I simply skipped once I saw the potential for how broken they might be. Gravity, for example. I have no stomach for trying to solve puzzles that might not even work in the first place.