Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

Every few months I'm convinced that I'm disillusioned enough that I won't be surprised by stupid internet decisions, then someone proves me wrong. I don't want to think about what kind of human cancer would believe that nonconformity is symptomatic of personal problems.

So are you going to update your score when those buggy quests are fixed? Or is TSW forever going to be pulled down by such a negative value primarily because the first week of heavy players exposed a number of script bugs for some of the most important quests in the game?

*note* I've completed every quest in the first two zones of TSW, including all those listed as broken in this review. Still not perfectly functional, but the game is getting better very fast thanks to quick updates. Also this is the best MMO experience I've ever had.

How the fuck did this scumbag make such a lousy review of an actual FUN game? There are a few bugs but nothing gamebreaking, your review is hilarious. How the hell did this clown end up on metacritic? This review is not objective and shouldn't be on metacritic. TSW is one of the best games i've played this year and them most fun i've had in a MMO in a LONG time.

So your complaining because there are bugs in a newly released MMO? STOP THE PRESS!!!! THIS CAN'T HAVE EVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!! Oh wait...yeah it has...with EVERY OTHER mmo that has been released-_- They are fixing the bugs and responding to the player's phenomenally!

Well, you should hope TSW succeeds. The way the press tell the story here in Norway they pretty much need this game to succeed in order to stay in business. I love it by the way. The X-files, grown up feel, the atmosphere. So I hope the bad press they get from some people doesnt ruin what I think has the chance to become the best MMO out there.

Hah, I think I understood your first post just fine. This one's a little illegible, though.

You for sure should follow RPS. :)

So, let me get this straight...
You give Diablo 88 points, TSW 40? Different genre, you might say, but:

- You rant about the item shop. At least here, the developer invests time in a digital product for you to buy. On the RMAH, the developer just mooches off money without providing any work except for the groundwork that has already been laid.
- Broken quests / not playable at all?
In TSW, there are, in total, 13 quests, that, at some point, may or may not be broken upon release out of - a rough guesstimate - 300.
In Diablo III, people could not play for days on end - at all - when your review launched. Either you apply double standards (able to play most parts of the game vastly inferior to not being able to play at all) which is far too subjective for a serious reviewer, or you implicitly concede that Blizzard will solve these issues in no time whereas Funcom will not, in which case this is a tremendeous bias and equally unbefitting of a serious review.

As I said, I know, different genres, but 40/100 - I must seriously ask: Did Funcom not write you a cheque? Do you harbor some kind of grudge against them? I trust you are a professional games reviwer and as such, would not apply double standards to such an unbelievable, glaring extent without some underlying reason, and I vewry much would like to hear that reason.

Unsolvable quest? haven't run into one of those...

Good review Tom. Thanks for the insight to the game I might give it a month or two and let it get patched up. It seems that Brian over NHS has similar problems with the game and see's the silver lining. Looking forward to your game diaries to learn more.

From Ragnar:

"Sorry
to hear that -- there are only a few missions that have been very
buggy, most of them investigations, and most of those were fixed with
today's update (1.01). Unfortunately, due to the nature of these
missions, they were hard to catch until we reached a critical mass of
players. Going forward, we're going to do our best to make sure these
sorts of bugs are squashed before they get frustrating. Most missions
seem to work perfectly well, however, so I think you've been very
unlucky. My apologies!"

So nice, the handful of quests that were broken for you and caused you to give this game such a remarkably low score have been fixed a day after you posted this. However, your review will stand forever.

Huh. I did encounter a couple of quests that were buggy-sometimes, but I have yet to encounter one I couldn't complete, possibly by asking someone who was in an instance where it was working to invite me to a party.

I would also point out that there have been non-obviously-broken quests in every MMO I've played (say, quests where a given mob reset in a way that appeared to indicate failure to complete a goal).

So I think your mileage may vary, and willingness to research things a bit makes a very noticeable difference in outcomes. Yeah, it's got bugs, but compared to what I considered acceptable back when I played WoW, and what I still tend to tolerate from CoH, it strikes me as a pretty solid game.

Basically, I guess the thing I'd dispute is that they aren't capable of doing this. This is less buggy at launch than anything else I've played other than Rift, they're fixing bugs at a respectable rate... I think they picked a reasonable time to launch and start finding out what breaks under much higher loads, because you have to do that sooner or later.

That is indeed the way a reviewer should gather his facts - stumble upon some broken quests -> just assume all quests of that kind are broken -> use precisely this as pretty much the only argument to ridiculously downvote a game while proffessing to "want to like it".

I am not turning a blind eye to the game's shortcomings, because there are plenty (my biggest gripe would be the chat issues), but whenever I see a review that is simply unprofessional, I cannot but leave a comment.

Of course, as a thorough reviewer and experienced gamer, the fact that you can hover your mouse pointer over the abilities and stats in question to get a sufficiently detailed explanation has not escaped you.

The point is not 4 our of 200 quests.

The point is that 4 broken quests means you cannot know for sure if you have solved the puzzle or if the quest is broken.

The only way to discover that is to resort to a search; which will inevitably lead to you spoiling the experience for yourself.

Now, if your gameplay consists of searching for the answers and clicking through, fine. But if actually solving those puzzles on your own is important, knowing you can trust the game not to be broken in that area is important.

To all the fanboys who clicked the least scoring review just to QQ:

CRY SUM MOOR.

This is his review, This is what he and many other experienced, the game is broken, GET OVER IT.

If you don't like people telling the truth, I highly suggest you'll go back to playing an unfinished MMORPG while blowing monthly fee's out of your dicks to EA.

Something wicked worked fine for me though, so I am guessing not everyone had that bug (did the quest about 3 days ago). And I am still to encounter any bugs in quests.. and I am done with every single one in Kingsmouth at the moment ;) I thought however that I had encountered one in Men in Black the vans thingy.. were you are supposed to click on the thing that attracts enemies.. but it turned out that (after a quick search) that if someone else is using it at the same time, the thing might fail. So I waited for the guy who was there to finish, and then I went.. and it worked perfectly fine.

It works now, so go do it and change your review. Other people that make reviews about MMO's do it over many weeks.. like IGN for example (not saying they are the best at this..). But and MMO has so much content, and so many things to do, that reviewing it in just a week is wrong... saying this is your first impression, that would be correct. And then continue playing, changing the review over time, is the only correct way to review an MMO. Just because they are so huge, and the reviewer should explore the entire thing before giving a judgement.

The chat system is a total nightmare. Not in the spooky way, either.

The PvP is pretty terrible.