See the pacific?

Kid1 has graduated and is joining the world of cubicle dwellers. Before her first day starts, she would like to get on an airplane, rent a car and drive to a beach viewing the Pacific Ocean. She has seen Italy and most of the eastern us. It’s her wild hair and I have my ideas.

Where would you advise her to go?

Phú Quốc island in Vietnam. Nha Trang is also very nice, but more mainstream and touristy.

How about from the big island of Hawai’i, standing near where a lava flow from Kilauea is entering the ocean?

Oh, another thought: Glacier Bay in Alaska is supposed to be amazing, although I’ve never been there.

Plus she can see Russia from Alaska! Another whole continent!

I was on the inside passage cruise to Glacier Bay with my parents back in the early 90’s , it was an awesome trip!

San Francisco. Probably the easiest city to get around in on the west coast and it has lots of stuff to see.

My daughters always wanted to see the Atlantic. They saw it on the last day of a east coast trip when we flew out of JFK airport.

If you are up for the road trip, I’d recommend flying to Seattle and driving to San Diego, spending as much of the trip as you would like on/near the water. If she’s never done the West Coast, it’s a nice primer.

That said, if Hawaii or Vietnam are possibilities…

She will be balancing late purchase air fair against the need to start her own household vs emergency savings… A long way of saying costs are a factor.

Still, I know she wanted to visit Singapore…

I was going to advise San Fran or San Diego.

I’m a bit surprised nobody brought up th iconic la beaches.

Anywhere on the eastern coast line of New Zealand is Pacific facing ;-)

You don’t go to Singapore for the ocean. You go to other places FROM Singapore for the ocean.

L.A. this time of year is rough for beach-going if you don’t like crowds. Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach are a zoo starting around Memorial Day. Malibu is really nice to visit; bit crowded, but the views are amazing.

I personally love Pismo Beach. It fell out of favor with the L.A. crowd, so it’s pretty low traffic. You have some amazing cliff views, the dunes are nice, and it has one of the few beaches that you can drive and park on. Since it’s not high on the destination list anymore, it’s reasonably priced. You can get an ocean view room in a beach-side hotel for cheaper than some standard hotels in L.A.

Fly to San Diego, stay a night at Coronado Island, rent a car, then leisurley follow the coast north. Spend a nigth in Santa Barbara, see Hearst Castle, next night in Monterey, and finally return the car in San Francisco, staying there for however long your time/budget allows.

Domestically: it’s hard to go wrong in taking a weekend or extra and driving PCH up along California. I’d start around Santa Monica and just go north to SF. That’s a good trip. Stay in Monterey or Big Sur or Morro Bay or whatever. Lots of things to see and do, and you have mostly ocean views almost the full way. One alternative is maybe going up to the Olympic peninsula or perhaps Prince William. Alaska is of course amazing and Glacier Bay is a viable alternative (and offers a lot of different things than any other of the options I mention).

Internationally: well crap there’s a lot. For pure Pacific, Hawaii is a good option. Avoid Oahu and do Kauai, Maui, Lanai or Big Island (or combination thereof, inter-island flights are mostly cheap). New Zealand is the best of all alternatives. Vietnam can be pretty good if you want something completely different; there are a lot of touristy resort communities (like Vong Tau) but I’m sure there’s plenty of isolated places to go as well. Australia can be pretty awesome and I’d hazard the best coastal stuff may be up around Brisbane.

— Alan

Build a enormous railgun, shot the moon a new crater.

But the volcano, glacier, skyscrapper things also would do.

I’m with Teiman.
A railgun is the only viable option.

If she doesn’t already have the job, she should do a working holiday in NZ/AU.

LA sucks. Well, not all of it, there a few things to see there. But people have this Hollywood idea of LA, and they are wrong.

Which is why I say start at Santa Monica and go north on PCH. Don’t even worry about LA itself or Hollywood or that other jazz. I like San Diego but I think SM is a good starting point.

— Alan

Completely agree. Great mexican food, though.

This. But it entirely depends on what you like to do at a beach. Sit and sun. Enjoy the waves. Explore. Take photos. Hike around. Go to restaurants with a view. In the LA/Orange County area, yes, the Santa Monica pier is fun but as they say, a zoo. Never liked the west facing beaches because of the riptides - never got 'em at the south facing beaches. Cabrillo Beach tide pools are fun to explore. I always found my home town of Long Beach kinda boring because of the vast long breakwater (great if you like sailing, though). My preferred beaches for surfing (body, boogie, full board) were Bolsa Chica and Huntington, the Wedge if you knew what you were doing. For a combination of hiking/exploring and beautiful beaches, Hawaii. I’d recommend the big island, but had a great time also at Maui. Lots of nice beaches as you go south towards San Diego. Somebody mentioned Pismo Beach. Haven’t been there in a long time - I’ll never forget the sand dunes because I had to run for something like 10 miles on them. But if you aren’t into that kind of self-flagellation, very nice and off the main stream last I saw. There was a beautiful beach in Mexico that I can’t quite recall the location of. Not much for surf, but wonderful cliffs and secluded beach.

Honestly, it’s all good.