Seedship - browser game

Need a good browser game to kill some time? Check out Seedship.

You’re the AI of a ship that fled a dying Earth to find a suitable planet to colonize with the survivors you carry in stasis. It’s just a “text adventure” I guess, making decisions about how to play the odds and prioritize what you try to preserve when things go wrong.

My first game actually went pretty good, but my next several attempts ranged from mediocre colonies to a self-destructing failure of a colony that nuked itself into a wasteland.

Here’s my best game so far:

My ship seems to be a magnet for comets and asteroids. In the vastness of space, I suspect my AI is secretly steering me into these things.

Short and quick run ended up with a “Corrupt Information Age democracy on planet El Dorado”
https://www.johnayliff.com/games/seedship/index.html?blHOrj.0.El%20Dorado.1000.778.-1.9.14.1000.1000

Not so hot on my first run. Similar to Scott I was a magnet for a lot of things.

Hey this looks cool! I’m playing Fallout Shelter now too so I can continue my streak of being the last, worst hope of humanity.

Next run - “Corrupt Atomic Age democracy on planet Atlantis”
Also with friendly natives!
https://www.johnayliff.com/games/seedship/index.html?bhhOnbkmpq.0.Atlantis.873.586.5.8.14.1000.1340

#3 -
Benevolent Neolithic monarchy on planet Cueball
https://www.johnayliff.com/games/seedship/index.html?bHCInajq.0.Cueball.932.657.-1.3.8.300.1200

Key things seem to be (a) Survive (b) Keep tech and cultural up.
Planet stats score is less important as long as its enough to get (a)

By eight attempts, I think I know stastically what my best bet is in any situation, so at this point I’m making the same decisions every time and just hoping for good luck, but it’s still kind of got me hooked.

And #4 comes in with a Engaged Post-Singularity democracy on planet Oceanus.
https://www.johnayliff.com/games/seedship/index.html?bLhOpbir.0.Oceanus.1000.861.-1.10.15.1330.1000

Seems good.

So my strat in all runs was to upgrade water to long range, take hits to scanners, since surface probes are able to cover if a scanner fails and the rest of the planet looks somewhat acceptable. Settle only if rich resources or if a moon can cover for resources going forward after #3’s example.

Wish the final status screen kept your travel history and all text though, not just the conclusion.

This was a ton of fun, will play again!

https://www.johnayliff.com/games/seedship/index.html?blhorbinp.3.Arcadia.659.600.3.6.6.370.270

First effort:

Planet Eden
Atmosphere: Breathable
Gravity: Moderate
Temperature: Moderate
Water: Oceans
Resources: Rich

Features:
Outstanding beauty
Edible plants

Eden’s alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in wandering hunter-gatherer tribes beneath the planet’s open sky, beside rivers that flow into the planet’s oceans. Much of the tribes’ resources are devoted to fighting continual wars with one another. In the ruins of the first city stand monuments to the 515 colonists who did not survive the journey and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere: 500
Planet gravity: 500
Planet temperature: 500
Planet water: 500
Planet resources: 500
Survivors after landing: 485
Survivors after settlement construction: 485
Final technology level (Pre-Stone Age): 0
Final culture (Warring Tribes): 500
Surviving cultural database × 10: 170
Total: 4140

Even though they devolved into warring tribal factions, I still put them on a beautiful planet and hope for the next 10,000 years.

I came, I saw, I colonised, I won. Game Over, GG.

I keep colonizing the worst planets I can find. It’s entertaining to watch these people die horribly.

Lots of fun. My best run so far:

Date: Mon Jan 22 2018

Planet Bounty
Atmosphere: Marginal
Gravity: Moderate
Temperature: Moderate
Water: Planet-wide ocean
Resources: Rich

Features:
Edible plants
Animal life
Post-Singularity civilisation
Monumental ruins

Bounty’s ocean stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in high-tech cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 133 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 81 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere: 250
Planet gravity: 500
Planet temperature: 500
Planet water: 250
Planet resources: 500
Survivors after landing: 867
Survivors after settlement construction: 786
Final technology level (Post-Singularity): 3000
Native relations (Integrated Societies): 2000
Final culture (Cosmic Enlightenment): 3000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1080