Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

I’ve beaten an red eyed Ogre after he kept throwing me off the cliff for an hour. That felt ‘persevering’. Well, I just started the game to see if I am in the mood, rushed through, didn’t even grasped the gameplay basics (what’s with the little symbols above my health bar? and so on… don’t bother answering, I didn’t even try to find out) but man I wanted to see this mini-boss gone. Now I am exhausted and still not deciced if I am in the mood for the game :)

Yeah, that is pretty stellar. I would always consider Genichiro harder than Lady Butterfly, but at the same time they are “different” I guess.

Stuff in From games is always so easy to miss. In a Dark Souls game, I usually play without a guide, other than maybe to look up damage weaknesses if I’m having trouble with a boss. Then after the game or a couple areas I’ll look in a guide to see what I missed.

I decided to check a guide for the castle area in Sekiro to see what I missed and it mentioned if I returned to the tower where the divine kid was kept in the beginning I could fight another boss. I wouldn’t ever have returned there. Do you feel looking this stuff up after being ready to move on from an area is taking anything away from the game? This isn’t the one you were talking about, was it?

Grats!! You are an inspiration:)

Where are you up to? If I can do it so can you!
I’m just persistent - but Lady Butterfly did test my limit :-)

I just passed the burning bull, and am exploring… havent had a ton if time to play today.

There is a mini boss who is giving me trouble now….Snake Eyes

Holy cow, it took dozens of tries to beat the above mini boss. I don’t know why I had so much trouble but I did. Much more than Genichiro, but not as bad as Lady Butterfly.

One of the toughest mini-bosses in the game.

Nope. The thing I am talking about involves one of the secret endings. The first step is to eavesdrop on Kuro in the castle from a specific spot behind a wall.

There’s a lot more steps. Easily missable content which includes more mini-bosses and even another major boss. But most importantly the items those entail to make you just a little bit stronger.

Some bosses are tough, but I can see what I need to do. Others are seem like BS (not many), like this freakin ape. I can’t avoid his special attack. and his regular attacks are really hard to deflect. The firecrackers barely buy me any time and attacks seems to do a small amount of damage.

Uggg, that was not nice. I can’t believe ape boss had another form.

I seem to have trouble with the bosses others don’t. I can’t beat this damn ape. I’ve been trying for hours and I’m not getting any better at it. At first i was, and was making it far 50% of the time. Now It’s maybe 20%. I ran out of the spirit stuff so I had to spend my gold to buy more, which I haven’t needed to do at all so far. The firecrakers do help, but sometimes I get caught trying to use it during the special attack. Originally I was having good results rolling out of his way, but I can’t seem to do that anymore, so I’m trying to deflect more.

Will the ape be the one to put me down for good?

The ape gave me trouble. It sounds like you are still struggling with the first phase?

I used firecrackers and when he did his poop fling attack I ran underneath him. He also gets staggered ever so often from getting hit allowing you to deal in some extra damage.

This video gives some solid advice. Especially for the second phase, which I would recommend you get more familiar with.

I beat that ape via death by 1,000 paper cuts. I dodged like crazy and kept my distance and learned to spot a brief window when I could safely close in for a quick hit. Took a lot of patience and all my health pellets but I finally got him!

I still have some trouble with the first phase, but I do get through it maybe 20-30% of the time. I do those things too, except I ran out of spirit stuff needed to use the firecrackers. I had to do a resource run to buy more. I’ll take a look at that video because I’ve tried for hours and hours already.

I started off doing this and had some success initially, then I started repeatedly missing too many of my dodges.

After watching the video I came so close to winning on my 3rd try. He had like a centimeter of health left.

Uggg, I’m out of spirit things again and need to get some more money to buy some. There is a little run where I can get 600 money and get some random spirit drops.

Thanks for the video help. I was pretty much going to quit if I couldn’t win the battle tonight, but now I have some hope and will try some tomorrow too.

Knowing that if you deflect his sword attacks he will stumble to the floor, then using spear pull. Game changer.

Spirit emblems are definitely one of the most useful items to spend money on. I made sure I always had a large amount in stock. Especially for Guardian Ape where I used both firecrackers and the spear it’s easy to burn through them. During my NG+4 run it literally is the only thing worth spending money on at that point.

I fired the game up after beating Elden Ring to see if I still got it.

I was a bit sloppy, with some controller button differences, and not having played the game in months, but I still got it. The old juices got flowing again.

I beat Lady Butterfly, Genichiro, Guardian Ape, and [Redacted] all first try. I think the damage levels still reflect the current NG+ level because I got grabbed by the old hags air perilous attack and it did insane damage. Like 4/5ths of my health bar which was at max. Always just like riding a bike!

This! So much this! Sekiro is probably my favourite game of all time at this point. During the pandemic I played it relentlessly. But that first playthrough literally took months. Every night before bed I was watching YouTube videos religiously and constantly checking reddit and other sites for tips.

It got so frustrating but stayed rewarding. Finally beating the very last boss (which took me about two weeks of actual daily training sessions) was one of the most satisfying things.

And then, when I really got good, it felt amazing just destroying the game and really feeling like a highly-skilled swordsman.

Well this may be sticking after all. I keep trying to put it down, and I keep telling myself “I can beat this!”

I’ve had the hardest time forgetting about stamina bars, turtling, dodge not parry… but I think it’s finally sinking in a bit. Grammie Butterfly is down. I’m now telling myself I am going to make it at least as long as @robc04 does… I have a goal =)