Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

I had that boss that originally gave me problems mostly down pat. Then I ran out of an item that makes the fight not silly. You can’t buy replacements or farm them. So that’s fun.

Also now everything that worked before no longer works. The boss just decides that now that stuff isn’t effective or something, so I can’t even get to stage 2 reliably. I had it to the point of muscle memory, so it’s very annoying that my instincts just make me die when they made me win before.

So, the drunkard : boss or miniboss? That’s where I’m currently stuck.

Mini boss. It’s gonna take a while, but if you’re really stuck try running in and taking out one or two adds at a time then running out to reset everyone. If you get it down to just the boss you can actually sneak behind him and take off one pip. While he’s recovering go talk to the nearby friendly npc who will fight with you. Between the two of you it shouldn’t be too bad to take down one health bar.

That was the prime example of “cheese the miniboss” that I didn’t much care for.

The fight is nearly impossible if you don’t do it. So you go in, kill 1-2 guys, run to the water to reset them. Repeat until everything is dead. Then reset one more time, backstab the dude because fuck it, you don’t want to do this again.

The item is pointless anyway. Just kite while that is happening.

I had the same thing happen though… Kind of got a groove, almost beat her, then suddenly it just went to crap and i died s billion times. But I just beat her now, so yay!

That’s what I’ve been doing so far, and still haven’t managed it. But I did manage to make progress on the other branch I had open, so I’ll come back to that later.

Eh, I dunno about that. She keeps throwing shit at me and hitting me while I’m running around.

Compared to: literally walk into the middle of the room and use an item and then go back to fighting her.

Also they all hit me behind a pillar and 100%'d me last attempt. So that was annoying and what made me not want to deal with it.

I just think if you’re going to advertise a way to fight a boss, which they blatantly do, maybe don’t give people like… 3 attempts worth of items, some of which they’ll use before they need to because they wont know what you’re talking about. She does it twice so you need 2 per good attempt and there are like 6 of the things on the entire planet. So I used one first time I fought her cause I didn’t know better. Lost two when I figured out what was going on, but found out it had a range limit. Used one correctly, but died. Last time I had her almost beat, but ran out and got killed by the mechanic. After rezzing in the battle. Apparently they just wait and one shot you if you dare rez. That’s fun.

This is a boss I’ve fought like 40 some times at this point. I never use items in Dark Souls anyway, so I guess I’ll go back to it, though it was neat to actually use the fucking things for once.

And I think I may have found the first proper boss. At least there don’t seem to be any adds to deal with.

Welcome to my personal hell. :D

Edit: Be ready to go back to places you haven’t yet to get more healing and level up if you need to. Getting 4 heals that heal for more is a big deal if you’re like me and walked in there with 2 baseline heals.

Actually managed to take him down on my third attempt, which is the fewest I’ve needed so far, but I just ran into the bull which I suspect will take me a bit more time. Gonna come back to that tomorrow.

Ah, I think I know where you are. Not the one I’m talking about, that’s where I went after getting frustrated.

One thing I like about this game is that the levels themselves don’t seem to depend as much upon hidden enemy placement for difficulty. That part feels much more natural.

Literally taking damage from a frail old woman brushing me as she falls on the ground after I executed a combo that countered her is the worst part of this whole fucking nightmare.

Finally won. Cripes was that annoying.
It was so close to being a really cool fight, but some of the mechanics just prevented it.
I feel like the first phase is really neat and intricate and then the second stage just throws that all out because there are basically RNGish lasers all over the place.
Ah well.

True. That’s something I hated in the Souls games that’s mostly absent here. Not that there aren’t some “hidden” enemies occasionally, but their placement more often than not makes sense.

Congrats! This was the fight I was alluding to upthread. I enjoyed the fight quite a bit, but that second phase can be quite the pain. Once I figured out you can run from the butterflies, or hide behind a pillar, it started to click a bit more.

I do think that fight it supposed to be like a final exam before they set you free in the larger world. It teaches you that you can’t block indefitely, that you need to do vitality damage before you work on breaking posture, that your step dodges and jumps have to be on point, and that sometimes running around is your best/only option.

Well I played for a bit and now I feel like the developers just stopped trying.

“How about everything hits you for like 70-90% of your health. Also some of you stuff just doesn’t work anymore. That technique you finally got the hang of now literally does nothing. Blocking just fails because they can hammer through your defenses. Whatever, git gud or something.”

I mean the jump in bullshit for me atm is kind of staggering. I have 2 mini-bosses both of which are basically impossible or will take hours to start to learn. One of which is at least easy to get to but the other one requires running around forever. The easy one is in a box at the bottom of a hole though, so enjoy having your camera kill you constantly. If it was in an open area it seems like it would be a great fight, but it isn’t so enjoy jumping from an unblockable attack and then looking at a wall while you die. :/

Meanwhile the progression path just decided to add dudes that ignore all the rules I guess. They stab, I counter, they flick me off and slash me for 60% of my health. Great. Glad my ability doesn’t work now. One of the mini-bosses does the same thing.

I must be missing something fundamental because the game’s difficulty became a cliff. It was challenging, but fair before and then I get to this area and everything 2 shots me. Like regular dudes. I can’t attack them because they block everything and then hit me. I can’t block because they blast through my posture in seconds. I can’t dodge because they track me. I can’t counter their stabs.
It’s like I’m playing a different game where I’m underleveled.

And it’s hard to learn how to fight something that kills you in less than a second. Like… give me a chance to try shit. If one mistake = instant-fucking-death it’s really hard to experiment. Hell, its hard to realize what instantly killed you.

After that high of beating where I was stuck and rolling through the areas afterwards being challenged but making progress, I feel like they sucker-punched me.

Some good shit here re: the Mikiri Counter.

Reddit Mikiri Counter Post

I was finding it impossible to pull off vs. the Seven Spears mini-boss. As it, I may still opt to try and deflect that thrust. Anyone have any tips regarding that guy?

And for the Lone Shadow dude down in the hole (and the monks in Senpou Temple), what’s the best way to deal with those kicks? Step dodge? They do insane posture damage.

I’ve been headstomping the monks to break posture, and then using an unlocked skill that allows you to vault over a posture broken enemy to insta-deathblow.

But I’d still like to know how to deal with those kicks.

Which dudes? I think I may know what you’re referring to, but not 100% sure.

Guys, almost every single boss fight in this game has seemed impossible at first. You’ll get there. Sometimes you need to change your technique from blocking to step dodging to hammering away to simply getting good and countering everything. The difficulty feels like a cliff sometimes because once you learn the patterns you’ll sail through it.

Don’t be afraid to ignore minibosses for a while too. I had 4 of them available one time.

The rooftop guys are a serious pain. One of the worst gauntlets in the game because it’s so long. Try the shuriken into chasing slice combo.