Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

:thumbsup:

That’s how it’s supposed to go. Looking back I think I left out the part about lock-on sprinting. Sorry Scott.

@Timex thanks, I’m pretty sure Nioh was the same. Extremely powerful move to avoid medium-speed follow-up attacks. If the second attack is fast enough, some of the tracking may still catch the dodge recovery frames before you escape.

The biggest thing that will make Souls players have a hard time, I think, is the lack of stamina.

The fact that you have unlimited stamina changes the way you play… It means you never pay a penalty for attacking (other than getting deflected and possibly countered), and you never pay a penalty for sprinting.

You really need to get your head around that change in order for things to click.

At which point it’s still brutally hard.

The step dodge into a sprint is something I picked up on during Lady Butterfly to avoid her follow up butterfly attacks.

As for the bull, I don’t know, I just popped the red gourd, stayed away from a wall, blocked/deflected, quick hits to the rear, firecracker, more hits to the rear, then backed off and repeated.

Had him after like three or four tries. The deflect is nice because it stops him for a moment, allowing you to get behind him. Dodging and jumping sometimes you get too close to a wall and he traps you there.

Deflecting is pretty OP. You can deflect flaming bull horns. Bullets. Laserbeams. Etc.

Obvious thing number 3 I somehow missed after playing for 25 hours…there’s a freaking map!

You can “open antique map” from the fast travel screen.

I just had my first miniboss fight where I had to look up a solution on YouTube and promptly said “that is so fucking stupid”. This is the cheesiest trick boss I’ve seen so far. It’s not even close.

It’s in the Sunken Valley area.

Kudos to everyone that figures this out naturally, you're a better Sekiro player than I am!

It’s a wacky guy called Long-armed Centipede Giraffe. He spams you with 10 hits. I do my best to block and parry them and he takes away almost all my posture damage. If you parry two specific attacks in the sequence (after he pauses slightly) he will jump back and do an unblockable sweep attack.

The trick is that jumping on his head does MASSIVE posture damage. You only need to jump over two of them to go into an instant deathblow. I was so flustered by the spam attack that I was jumping away from it trying to gather my bearings. I even tried stunlocking him with fistfuls of ash and firecrackers – which I think might actually work, but I decided to look it up on YouTube to see if I was missing something. Boy was I ever.

I mean I guess it taught me something. I had been avoiding those attacks on other minibosses because they were hardly worth the effort. The game reminded me I may need to exploit them for other bosses. I hope that comes in handy later. Otherwise it’s just dumb.

Also this reminds me there’s another one of these bosses in another area that I forgot to kill! Oops! I hope I haven’t forgotten any other minibosses.

For anyone that’s beaten the miniboss in Ashina Reservoir: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwkjd/15-hours-in-sekiro-gave-me-a-midterm-exam-that-exposed-my-whole-ass

I don’t recommend banging your head against this wall because the real mid-term exam comes a few hours later with one of the main boss fights in the story.

That guy was really getting on my nerves on Saturday night. Sunday morning I took a break from the game and when I went back later in the day I took him out in one try. It wasn’t a perfect run (had to drink 3 times), but the biggest change was that I stopped respecting his shit and got in his face as much as possible.

mini boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLq1XK7SeJ0

I am finding I need to take more breaks than Dark Souls or Bloodborne as I start to get sloppy after too many tries on a boss. Usually when I come back fresh the next time, I get past the roadblock. However, I am still in the camp that gameplay feels much more frustrating than Dark Souls and not sure how long I will keep with it.

Ugh, I took another tiny peek at the achievements to see if something I did was that rare (nope haha) and saw another spoiler. Don’t do it!

Jinsuke Saze down. Loved that fight. Ninja as F. Due to @TimJames tip about the flash I got him on my second try.

edit: tags added.

For what it’s worth, these are the kinds of progress reports that are best left behind spoiler tags in the first couple weeks. They don’t hold any value except for people already past that point. Not a big deal but also not much point to it either so it evens out!

I find I’m the opposite. Once I pass the frustration threshold I slowly wear it down and become a machine at it. The thing that kills it for me is usually the run back if there is any.

Which is why Seven Spears is such a pain in the ass. You can get to him fairly easily, but good Lord it takes forever. I supposed I could try to just run straight at his face, grapple someplace and hope for the reset, but odds are I’ll take a bunch of damage and I feel like he’s one of those guys that you want all your healing and health for.

Butterfly was perfect in that I just ran down a hall and was back in it. Same for Hole Dude. One enemy in the way that you can kill before they do anything is fine.

I feel like I’m getting rot essence for characters I haven’t even met yet? That goddamn bull is driving me crazy. I feel like I know the right strategy, but all that goes right out the window once the fight starts.

Does anyone else have a problem with accidentally clicking in the thumbsticks during tense action sequences in games like these? I don’t know how many times I’ve died by accidentally toggling crouch or screwing with the targeting that way.

I guess that’s a neat trick. It’s not necessary, though. You can just block his stuff and dodge the unblockable. Eventually his poise will break. You don’t even have to hit him, but I did get a few swings in to speed it up.

This game goes a long way towards proving my suspicion that I’d love the Souls series much more if it lacked the enemy-filled boss runs. I’m having so much more fun on the encounters where I can just get back into the fight in a matter of seconds without something that basically amounts to a long loading screen with a healing item tax.

Here’s my turn to wonder if we’re playing the same game. His full string nearly maxes out my posture meter, and he starts back up before it goes down. I tried it at least 20 times. Parrying and jumping on his head was the only solution.

I mean, I guess you don’t need the jump if you have all the parries down. Blocking definitely does not work.

Also: this game has so many damn minibosses. They’re awesome and all, but I’m nearly exhausted.

Yeah I was parrying a lot. I just kinda spammed the block button and got most of them.

Also I beat Saze in 40 seconds on my first attempt. So I think I’ve used up all my Sekiro luck.

I think I saved it. I’ll upload.

So quad-bow shot is the lamest thing.

It breaks my immersion so hard. Really most of the bow stuff in this fight does, but this is just too much.
“He has a machine gun or something, whatever. Hope you were dodging.”