Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

Whoa boy, entering the final stage (I think). Needed to pause and regroup.

and…died

Just when I thought I was getting gud, turns out Lady Butterfly had another round for me :) Enough for today. If phase 2 isnt’ that much harder than phase 1 I guess I should make progress tomorrow.

Good night and good luck!

In Dark Souls sure. In Sekiro backing off can essentially “reset” the progress towards beating the boss as they regain their posture. If they are at around half health already then the regain will be slow so you can sometimes back off temporarily, but in general backing off is a bad move in Sekiro.

Hesitation is defeat afterall.

I’m just saying if you’re freaking out it’s better to back off and try to collect yourself than jump yourself off of a cliff or some other dumb move because you’ve got the jitters. Not saying it’s the best strategy for the fight, but the lesser of 2 evils.

Unlike Dark Souls you can actually pause the game in Sekiro too. Take a breather.

That is true, I do it all the time but sometimes don’t think of it when I’m in crisis mode :-)

Edit: Never mind, I had to be behind him.

I’m having an issue. I killed all the phases in the final fight, but he’s just sitting there. I tried to use the mortal blade art (mortal draw), but I’m just throwing the red slashes but he’s still sitting there.Isn’t that how I finish him?

I finally did it!!! I didn’t realize how close I was in the final phase until I glanced up and saw his HP at around 25% with a pretty red posture bar. I couldn’t believe it. I still had 1 healing flask and pellets. What a relief. Something clicked today and I could get through the first half pretty easily, sometimes not taking damage or only using a healing flask or 2. Of course sometimes I’d die right away too, but I could see the progress and started having hope I’d win.

Congrats!

Now beat the game blindfolded.

That is crazy if it’s legit!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AmazingMadDingo-size_restricted.gif

Congrats! Way to go!! Bragging rights are yours.

Thanks! Now we need to pull for @Fozzle and @gingerturtle , and anyone else playing through for the first time that I forgot about. You guys can do it!

Boom! Well done!

Love this! I think my main issue with a lot of the bosses was getting too excited and losing discipline. I would see their health or posture getting down to the last dregs and would start going wild on them.

Just like boxing, if you’re chasing a knockout then you leave yourself open to getting caught.

Yeah it’s best to ignore the HP and posture bars, get a grip, and just focus on the fight. There’s a certain tempo. A flow to every boss.

Generally when a boss deflects your attack, not just blocks, you should see sparks and hear a loud cling sound: it’s now best to stop attacking and switch to deflect mode and deflect their next attack(s).

Flowing passage, Genichiro’s infamous 9 hit combo can be acquired as one of the combat arts, and I found to be hilariously affective against Genichiro. The funny parts was us trading the same combo back and forth. If you can deflect his combo then deploy the same combo back at him the posture damage is pretty good.

And now for an obscure mechanic you probably didn’t know about. The anti-air death blow (spoilers)

Grats! I’m done. frustration won out for me. I am now living vicariously through your victory!

100% agreed. I found it to be bizarrely a rhythm game rather than a true hack n slash. If I ignored the rhythm and the pattern and just tried to ‘fight’, I’d come a cropper. Stick to the rhythm and you’ll be fine.

Unless it’s Snake Eyes Shirafuji. Because, like, fuck that boss.

But optional.

Snake Eyes Shirahagi on the other hand is in a far worst location and is REQUIRED to progress because they throw up a fog wall. Actually it’s the only required mini-boss I still sort of dread. Although can be cheesed with the nearby poison swamp.

I never beat the Demon of Hatred, so I decided to go back and try this morning. So far I can make it about 50% through the battle. He’s pretty tough.

Before I give this game an extended rest, I want to give a brief try to New Game +. I probably won’t play that for long. I want to give Nioh 2 a try, but I don’t think I’m ready to jump into another Dark Soulsish game right away - so I’ll probably just play it for a little just to see what it’s like and then put it back into the queue.

Elden Ring was my favorite Souls game for a first play through, but didn’t find it as replayable since it is just so huge. The DS series, which I lump together because I can’t remember the differences between them, are my next favorite. I probably like Sekiro more than Bloodbourne overall, but preferred the atmosphere in Bloodbourne. I wish Demon Souls would come to PC so I could play that one.

Well, now I have the demon down to one health dot, so it’s more difficult for me to walk away from him :-)