Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

Yeah, that’s the same false sense of security I enjoyed for a while. The test happens when you get those red warning characters flashing in combat and you need to quickly read the enemy and respond to a thrust with LB for deflect, A to jump over a sweep, or B to side step dodge. Batman or Assassin’s Creed this ain’t.

Devil May Cry 5 wants you to succeed and look stylish. Sekiro, like every From Software game, doesn’t care about you.

They do. But they care for you in a different way. To use a Jade Empire analogy, DMC 5 is Open Palm while Soulsborne games are Closed Fist. DMC5 is extroverted; Soulsborne games are introverted. One gives you many weapons to have fun with; the other shapes your mind into a weapon. Different approaches, sure, but both care about you, just in extremely diverse ways.

That said, to hell with those ghost archers in Dark Souls 3. That was sadistic to say the least. ;)

I can only imagine the sort of jump and grapple obstacle courses we’ll see in later levels after seeing a couple small ones early on. All in the pursuit of a one-off like Ash or Ceramics.

I have three prosthetics now and a couple skills yet still feel overmatched in fights against more than one enemy. At least the travel system is handy and unlocked right away.

Oh no, the game froze on me. I had to reboot. Fortunately I just grabbed an item so I’m back where I left off.

Does it explain the little pink clock or whatever those icons are in the lower left? Just wondering if the game ever tells you because I must have completely missed it.

I’m stuck at work now so I can’t play with this, but one question I had from the tutorial area - how do I assign stuff like pellets, ash, and the healing gourd to the quick access thing? The tutorial told me to press UP to use it and LEFT/RIGHT to cycle between items, but I must have read to fast and missed how to actually put stuff in there?

It’s realistic, then.

Those are the two deaths from the title! You refill them after they’ve been used by fighting monsters, I think.

The inventory menu. Just put what you want into the five quick access slots.

-Tom

Here is what I tried (I wish I was at home to play with this more):

Start->Inventory tab
Up/Down/Left/Right moves the cursor
RB and RT/LB and RB cycles between different menu types.
A selects/offers to use items highlighted
Y/X don’t seem to do anything
B cancels

So that’s where I got confused, is there like a different Inventory menu you are maybe talking about?

EDIT: Looking at screenshots I think I see it, it’s in the Equipment tab, derp. Thanks!

For anyone else unsure:

Yeah, it’s set up a little strange because the Inventory tab is organized into item types, like Quick Items, etc.

Minor spoiler, in case it’s possible to miss an early (extra?) area:

Is it possible to miss getting the bell from the old woman a few buildings after the first boss? And miss out on the Hirata Estate & its prosthetics? I picked ‘No Answer’ when she tried talking to me, just wondering if you miss out if you try to speak with her instead.

You have to equip weapon skills and the like too when you get there, just a head’s up.

To rowe: it works either way. Also there is a dude dying nearby that all but tells you to do it as well. Though it’s possible to miss both if you’re flying around and the like I reckon.

Good to know, thanks! Now trade me that Scroll Rack, you fucking hoarder.

My hoard of one.

LOL well, if you want to be all technical about it.

I played about 2 and a half hours last night. I’m a Souls fan, but I’ve never been very good at those games, so I was surprised to find I’ve adapted to the combat here pretty well. I also enjoy the stealth aspect of stalking around a level and picking off enemies one by one. It actually reminds me a bit of Marvel’s Spider-man where I like to do the same, and can even zip away and hide when I aggro too many guys with the grapple. I just got the Axe and Pyro tools, but put the game down for the night before I could try them on those shield dudes.

Yeah, I ran into the guy right afterwards, just wondering if you could completely miss it. Would make sense as From seems to do that in their games, just means you miss a couple presumably useful prosthetics in that area.

By far my favorite prosthetic and skill early on is shuriken with Chasing Slice. Launch one at an archer, zoom toward them, do an instant deathblow, and move on to the next. It reminds me a lot of Ninja Gaiden 2 (along with a few other things!)

anyone here who played Nioh and Sekiro? How do they compare? I know it is early, since Sekiro came out today…

Something like this maybe?