Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

:-) I might buy the game right now just because of your chart. It really helped.

Souls axis might be too high depending on which of those elements mean the most to you. It’s a very similar structure and feel – it’s definitely a From game – but they got rid of stamina, armor, etc. and replaced it with cool ninja stuff.

Yeah, to me this is more Ninja Gaiden and less Souls

Guys I don’t have time for this, just keep telling me its harder than the Dark Souls series and you hate it.

I’d love to lie to you, but it’s pretty good. However, it is not Dark Souls and might kind of be harder.

I don’t think I would ever go that far but I could be talked into making them closer. My analysis after the first 8 hours:

Souls elements

Game structure
Items
NPCs
Character progression (simplified)
Bonfires
Half the boss fights so far

There are minor differences but it’s all there.

Ninja Gaiden elements

Blocking negates damage (but posture acts as defensive stamina)
Deathblow system is basically NG2 obliteration technique
Some bosses can be killed quickly if you know what you’re doing
Additional enemies in boss fights
Wall jumping up shafts
Shurikens
Chasing Slice for ninja movement

NG doesn’t even have that much parrying. That would be more like Revengeance but now we’re nitpicking.

Played an hour and requested a refund. It’s an amazing game from the looks of it, but it totally doesn’t fit me. I had a feeling that might be the case as I hated Blood as well. I love Dark Souls so much, but anything else they do just hasn’t gelled with me. I got to the first boss and was just like nope. I’ll grab it again when it hits a sale and try it again.

I’m leaning in that direction myself. I have plenty of other titles to play right now so I might get a refund and come back to this when it’s less expensive.

Great work Tim James, in one diagram you managed to cost me sixty bucks, and I have to drive to D.C. tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Yup, this is very much a From Software game. I really like the combat, by the way. And the “parry” is far more friendly in this than in Dark Souls - first, because you must press the button when the enemy attack is about to hit (and not when the attack begins as in Dark Souls), and second because the parry window is more generous. Considering that parry isn’t really optional in Sekiro, those are two very welcome changes.

Anyway, loving it so far.

This is like at work when I slap something together in 15 seconds and later it goes straight into a multi-million dollar business proposal. Umm, I hope I did that right…

Yeah the parry is super generous because if you fail early you just get a block, which is a little posture damage. All the swings are slow enough that it’s hard to miss late. Blocking is OP except for enemies that max out your posture meter in a single hit.

Fighting multiple dudes is a nightmare, which is kind of neat. So of course they have a part where you fight 10 dudes one of whom is a boss and you can maybe kill 2 of them with stealth.

It’s kind of aggravating.

Ahahaha, I like it. I feel the geometry is only going to get more complex as you play.

These graphs are going to get very interesting.

I’m not sure this system works for me.

I can’t learn the details of any fight because everything is one or two shotting me. Sometimes from across the room while I’m dodging the “unblockable” attack. Attacking seems nearly pointless on bosses since you do no damage and they have a trillion health, so you try to counter however you’re supposed to and pray they attack more so you can stagger them and do “real” damage.

It’s really wonky feeling to get to a boss and then… stand there because attacking just leaves me open to them one-shotting me with some attack while I mildly annoy them. Or hitting me for 50-75% of my health, which is basically the same thing since I can’t really heal anyway.

Obligatory:

For bosses you sometimes have to re-think it. This doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a trick in your inventory somewhere. It may be as simple as using step dodge or blocking rather than vice versa.

So far, whittling down the health has been the most effective strategy for me. I don’t try to go for parries until they have low HP.

If anyone is frustrated by a boss feel free to post a question!

More DMC5 streams please.

Dude we require you to perform this service in all game threads! You may need to code a neural network to automate your responsibility to this forum.

I went online to check what people were doing to see if I missed anything and every person who defeated the boss had twice my heal flask things and had upgraded their health, so I just left to go down a different path.

So far so good. Now I’m sitting with both paths basically being bosses, but I’ve gained some health and have 3 heals at least.

As far as rethinking the one I was stuck on, maybe but it’s hard to think at all when you get 2 shotted. With my new health I think I can probably take 3 hits or at least the 1 shot probably wont kill me instantly, though it’s still possible.

Also everyone seemed to agree it was a stupid hard boss early in the game, so, I’ll get to it at some point.