Selvedge jeans

It’s worth noting that my knowledge is pretty out of date, so it’s possible newer/better options are available! But the three that I recall being solid starter items are:

• Unbranded
    A diffusion brand for Naked & Famous, made from Japanese-produced denim, that runs about $80-110. The Relaxed Fit Straights will be relatively loose (though, as with any raw denim, buy up a couple of inches to account for shrinkage the first time you wash or soak them). Really good quality, and as a bonus, the leather patch doesn’t have an obnoxious brand stamped onto it so you don’t feel like a walking advertisement!
  • Gustin
    A US-produced brand with Japanese denim that are in that same price range. Their thing is basically running off a Kickstarter/Massdrop style model, so I’m not sure what availability is actually like, but they make good shit. If you can find a design you like that’s close to fully funded for an order, it’s a great deal, and the have a lot of varieties and fits.
  • Levis
    They’ve got two tiers. The Shrink-to-Fit 501s are a very classic straight cut jean that favors people with a body like mine, lol. They’re not selvedge, but they’re a slight cut higher tier than the rest of Levi’s line (or at least used to be). They’re also very affordable. Their Made & Crafted Line are a substantial jump in quality, but a much larger jump in price. At that point, you’re probably better off looking into finding a boutique brand on sale (like Naked & Famous, 3Sixteen, Samurai Denim, etc).

Oh yeah. Limited edition runs, designer collabs, hand-produced jean mods, etc. Shit goes rapidly crazy at the high end. But again, fashion.

Edit: Weird thing. Lots of brands only offer one inseam length, or adjust it automatically with waist length but still don’t give you an option. It’s a whole thing in the denim-head community. You’re intended to either self-hem, roll your jean bottoms like a classic James Dean movie, or let the jeans “stack” (bunch up on top of your shoes/slip down over them and get all scuffed up by your heels). The latter two produce “cool” wear/fade patterns that are highly prized steez indeed.