Senate races 2020

I know we don’t want Trump but we need the Senate. This is the best summary:

So many remain unchallenged. This thread contains a ton of good info for donating.

Thanks for posting. It’s hard to get someone to do the grinding work of begging for campaign money in a lost cause. In a strong party environment what’s supposed to happen is someone takes on the thankless task in return for a downstream reward, e.g. support for another run for a winnable seat somewhere. But if there is no prospect of a winnable seat in a particular state, what does the party have to offer?

Democrats have had a long stretch of thinking too much about presidential contests and not enough about the Senate, House, and state elections. And this has cost us a lot.

I’m a lot more interested in improvement in this area, than I am in pros and cons of the various Dem presidential candidates. Although charisma at the top of the ticket would help in these other elections.

And we have a bigger challenger to Mitch Mcconnel:

It appears that she was heavily recruited by Schumer. From this earlier article in February, Schumer and other DCC operatives met with her to try & convince her to run.

It looks like they succeeded. This will make it a far more interesting matchup.

McGrath needs to win that seat.

Is that even possible? Is McConnell not popular there?

Kentucky is populated by human beings, so, no.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) approval rating is underwater in Kentucky ahead of his reelection race next year, according to a new Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey released Thursday.

About 33 percent of registered Kentucky voters polled approve of the job McConnell is doing, while 56 percent disapprove and 11 percent are unsure. Additionally, 32 percent think McConnell “deserves to be reelected,” and 61 percent think it’s “time for someone new.”

The PPP poll was conducted on behalf of the Ditch Mitch Fund, an advocacy group that opposes McConnell. McConnell’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill.

Despite low approval ratings, McConnell holds a razor-thin lead against a generic Democratic opponent. About 45 percent of Kentucky voters say they would vote for the Senate leader and 42 percent say they would support a “Democratic opponent.” About 12 percent are unsure.

Exactly half of the people surveyed in the PPP poll said they supported McConnell in 2014.

The thing that’s dumb, and yet expected, is that more than half will support him anyway, despite disapproving of his performance. Because Kentucky.

But a vet like McGrath? Might have a slight chance.

Eh, that’s not really “underwater” per se. That just means that a lot of Republicans wouldn’t mind seeing someone other than him. When confronted with a choice between Mitch and a Democrat, a lot of the 61% or 56% are going to jump back into his court because Kentucky.

I mean yeah, Schumer wouldn’t have bothered to try to talk McGrath into running, and she wouldn’t have said yes if there wasn’t a chance. Not sure there’s any valor in losing a second time.

What TW said. His approval may be underwater now, but in an actual race the demographics and population of Kentucky suggest that he’ll probably win this seat again, and handily.

True, but at least there’s someone running against him now. If he was running unopposed, there would be no chance, at least this way, there’s something.

I see what you did there.

That’s a good ad from McGrath.

I’ve put out a call to McGrath to pledge to join my Future Grave-Shitters of America organization. With her public endorsement, I will begin dedicating all my disposable income to her cause.

“all my disposable income” is a reference to unprocessed food that you’ve eaten, isn’t it.

Let’s be clear here, Dave. If there’s anything I have less of than disposable income, it’s food I haven’t eaten yet.

Headline sensationalized, and it’s probably a shitty attempt at triangulation, but holy fucknards is this a stupid fucking move.

Eh, if you look at this part:

“If you think about why Kentuckians voted for Trump, they wanted to drain the swamp, and Trump said that he was going to do that,” McGrath said during an interview on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. "Trump promised to bring back jobs. He promised to lower drug prices for so many Kentuckians. And that is very important.

“And you know what? Who stops them along the way? Who stops the president from doing these things? Mitch McConnell. And I think that that’s very important, and that’s going to be my message – the things that Kentuckians voted for Trump for are not being done. He’s not able to get it done because of Senator McConnell.”

This isn’t really being “pro trump” as much as it’s being “pro-Trump-promises”.

But those promises are the same kind of stuff that Democrats already run on. I think it could be totally effective to seize on those parts of Trump’s message and just take ownership of them.

McConnell’s work is basically done. If the Reps hold the Senate, McConnell can ride off into the wingnut-welfare-funded sunset and someone else will gladly step into his shoes and perform the same disservice. Tom Cotton has been auditioning for the part for years.

Kentucky is a Trump +30 state. It will take some serious triangulation for a Dem to win in a year when Trump is on the ticket.