Sense8 - Netflix, Wachowskis, and social issue sci-fi

June 5th

Sense8 will tell the story of eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world, who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally connected – an evolutionary leap of technological origin. While trying to figure why this happened and what it means for the future of mankind, a powerful man will try to bring the eight together, while a mysterious organization will attempt to hunt them down. The series will explore the themes of identity, sexuality, gender, persecution, bigotry, and fear.

Jupiter Ascending was really bad, so I’m not as excited for this as I would’ve been during the Wachowski heyday. Plus, I have a feeling it’s going to get pretty heavy-handed with its themes.

Was there a Wachowski heyday? Honest question - I thought V for Vendetta was fine, but beyond that and the admittedly spectacular first Matrix movie, the pickings are pretty damn slim.

They didn’t even direct V for Vendetta.

Fuck the other thread. (;))

Eh, I’ll give them credit for writing if something is good… but I suppose in V for Vendetta’s case, it’s probably more Moore. So let’s amend this - has the vaunted Wachowski creativity produced anything but one really fantastic movie? I have met a few people that swear by Speed Racer, but I’ve never seen it.

Bound is great, but different from their other stuff. I liked most of Cloud Atlas.

Yeah, I’m a Cloud Atlas fan too.

Supposedly, there’s a 4-hour Director’s Cut of CA. I’d love to see that. And on that note, what I’ve heard of Jupiter Ascending is that is seemed strangely truncated, with plot threads going nowhere, details not fleshed out, that it seemed like too much had been cut. Wonder if there will ever be a DC of that? I didn’t see it in the theater- it should be on video soon yes?

I’m a Speed Racer fan, but it’s not without it’s flaws. I’ve never been able to make up my mind on how I feel about Cloud Atlas. It’s hard for me to overlook the awfulness of Matrix 2 and 3.

Speed Racer is pretty delightful and weirdly faithful to big chunks of the spirit of the show. As in, you keep thinking that it’s veered off wildly before some shade of the original shows up in an unusual way.

Been a few years since I watched either, but love 'em both to pieces.

I finally saw the trailer for this, it looks neat. I hope it turns out to be a good show, at any rate, as it seems to have potential.

Variety review: 'Sense8' Review: The Wachowskis' Netflix Series

Thumbs down, I guess.

…this show is so tiresomely put together, it’s enough to make one long for the second season of “Heroes.”

Ouch!

Yeah, that’s possibly the cruelest comparison one can make.

Having grown up on Speed Racer, I can’t help but second this. Plus, any chance to let Roger Allam get smarmy is a sheer delight.

I understand why someone wouldn’t like it, but it’s very, very good at being the silly cartoon that it is.

The Verge has a more positive take on the first 3 episodes: Sense8 review: the creators of The Matrix find a new home on TV

But as it picks up steam and begins delving into the familiar Wachowski themes — that we are all interconnected, across lines of race, sexuality, gender, and class — it begins to establish its own sense of identity. By the end of the third episode, when the show finally gets the chance to add the Wachowski’s penchant for action choreography to the mix, the combination had me fully on board.

Wendelius

So, this came out today. Liked the first episode enough to keep on going. Hope it doesn’t go down the Heroes route though with with blahblah chosen people blahblah destined to work together to fight an apocalyptic threat. (Funnily enough, I just looked up this thread and noticed that the Variety piece references Heroes, albeit briefly.)

That said, sadly enough Netflix did its usual season dump and released all episodes at once. Guess I’ll be back in this thread whenever I quit or finish the show. It’s really annoying to discuss a series with some people having enough time to binge-watch this thing during the weekend while others … you know the drill.

Considering that’s what Netflix always does (with one exception), I’m not sure how or why you’d expect anything else. Yeah it does make discussion kinda messed up–maybe should just use Episode X spoiler tags I guess. I may start giving it a watch today…

— Alan

I watched the first episode. Most of it was ok, and mildly intriguing, but man, some of the acting is bad. Everyone in the San Francisco scenes in particular is just dire. Still, I’ll turn it on in the background to see where it goes.

Interesting what these Netflix & Amazon shows are doing to Qt3 discussions. No longer can we be certain what anyone else has seen so far. Might make sense to have thread mods throttle the number of discussable episodes each week.