Sense8 - Netflix, Wachowskis, and social issue sci-fi

Eh, I have no idea what happened there, guys…

Christmas Special on Dec. 23rd.

2nd season coming March 5th!

Christmas special? That sounds weird. Liked the series well enough and look forward to season 2 finally.

I’m liking sense8 more than I thought I would. The production values are insanely high, feels like a real movie budget.

It’s definitely a bit LGBT huggy-feely, which I kinda expected given the Wachowskis gender transition stuff, but it’s also a nice mix of everything together, not just harping on any one pet issue.

Thumbs up.

So the new season came out or whatever and… I dunno. I think I’ve reached peak musical interludes. I can’t really get back into it. I still like all the characters for the most part, but good Lord the music stuff where everyone is all “cool” or whatever. It just needs to stop already. You can’t even really skip them since half the time some key story thing happens during it. Ugh.

I’m only 2 episodes in (so technically only one I guess) and I’ve just been watching other things. I still kinda hate the driver, even though it’s a new guy. It’s like he has the worst set of skills of everyone. He can drive. But so can the German dude, in fact I’m pretty sure the German dude drove better at one point. German dude can also fight well, shoot a gun and crack a safe. Driver guy can… uh… get his ass beat and love his mom? So mostly he sits in Africa and does nothing of interest or value to anyone else. Hell, he’s not even present for most of the main story stuff, you’d think he’d care about it being his life is on the line, but he’s got Van Damme movies to watch.

Edit: Iceland girl doesn’t really have any skills either, but at least she’s involved in things. She’s the emotional core of the group or whatever, so it works.

I’ve finished the season. Driver guy ends up doing some interesting things. I think I enjoyed this season more than the first. They pushed the concept quite a bit more, while giving it more emotional resonance.

Picked it up again, but the musical interlude shit is really getting to me.

I get it, you like music. Save it for something worthwhile instead of just injecting it randomly non-stop.

Finished Season 2 over the weekend and thought it was much weaker than Season 1. Part of it was everything being way more on the nose, but it also seemed less focused – there were a hundred different story strands going on and some of them seemed to just disappear like that rival cluster showing up for one fight, and neither Lila(?) or Max really mentioning them again. That said… the ending ramped up in a way that I’ll stick around for a third season.

Nope.

[quote]
News of the decision also comes a day after Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings told CNBC at the Code Conference that he thinks the content platform hasn’t canceled enough shows. “Our hit ratio is way too high right now,” he said. “I’m always pushing the content team; we have to take more risk, you have to try more crazy things, because we should have a higher cancel rate overall.”[/quote]

I was a little surprised it got a second season considering it does so much location shooting in a very global way, which I would assume is expensive, and it not seeming to have made much of a splash generally. I am still sad. It’s probably my favorite of their shows.

WELP.

Add it to the pile of shows that became posthumously worse because of a cliffhanger ending.

Well… at least…

Hey cool. Now I’m much more likely to start watching the whole thing.

Somehow I watched this show and never noticed it was co-created by the Babylon 5 dude J. Michael Straczynski. Funny.

Glad to see them get a send off. Smart compromise by Netflix.

It seems weirdly downplayed, considering that’s a huge reason I watched the show in the first place. I dig what the Wachowskis do, more or less, but their output doesn’t necessarily land, writing-wise. IMO, JMS nearly always does. (I get why some folks might not like his Marvel runs, but the only really egregious thing for me was One More Day and I don’t think that particular thing was his idea.)

With JMS free and an existing relationship with Netflix it’s time for a re-make of B5 seasons 1 - 5. Promise 5 seasons up-front, adhere to the original plot, trim some of the fat (13 1h episodes rather than 22 43m episodes per season), but do it with modern production values and acting. Dooooooo eeeeet.

The Londo / Jakar arc was the best. The two switch places yet are linked together till the end.

Didn’t see this coming.

So this is the next big series JMS wrote for after the failed Babylon 5 spinoff right? I should watch this show just for that. I had a lot of problems with Babylon 5, but it was a well written science fiction yarn overall.

He’s had steady work ever since, including some tv series that never went anywhere, but this was by far the most successful. He did a lot of comics for awhile.