Serenity: I aim to post SPOILERS here

[b]That’s right. This is the thread where spoilers about the movie are posted. If you don’t want to be exposed to them, I suspect you’d do yourself a good service by leaving this thread now.

Seriously.

Main Characters die in the film, and I’m about to reveal them![/b]

Crikey. The Reverend and Wash both bought it. I suppose that the Rev’s story wasn’t likely to be explored in potential sequels, so it was a good time to cut loose. But Wash, that took me for surprise, 'specially the Trinity-esque method of death. I suppose Alan Tudyk sees his career going in a different direction.

Overall, I had a great time with the film. I have to agree with some press reaction, it looked at times like a glorified TV movie; Whedon seemed to scale his shots as if they were made for television and needs to get a bit more comfortable directing for the big screen. I’m also not too sure that the film will appeal all that much to folks outside of the Firefly fan base. A lot of the drama, and interest in the characters is heightened only if you know their backstories.

As a fan of the series, however, I was well pleased. River finally busted out, the humor of the series shone through, and the characters, that lived, showed some growth. Well, except for Zooey, who seems to be stuck in permanent ‘good soldier’ mode.

Anyone else see this yet?

Yeah, I was also WTF?! with Wash dying.

I enjoyed the movie all the time I watched it but when I walked out of the cinema I had a slightly underwhelmed feeling. Probably my anticipation was too high.
I thought that the whole ‘big bad’ that the Federation did was pretty lame. A terraforming experiment gone wrong isn’t what I thought the Federation’s worst secret would be. I got a bit of a Federation= damn meddling liberals with their programs vibe, especially from the teacher flashbacks. I didn’t realise that Whedon was such a Republican.

Changing reavers from being spacemen gone spacemad to ‘28 Days Later’ zombies offers a bit more logic but damn, they are productive frigging zombies, getting themselves a battlefleet that can take on the Federation.
I was also pleased to see that the bofors from BF1942 still manages to make an appearance in the far future.

The movie at least settles the major mystery of the series, so I’m happy with that. Now if someone can tell me what the Reverend’s secret history was, I’ll be satisfied.

No, it’s not a terraforming experiment gone wrong. It’s a social control method that screwed up. They added a gas to pacify the population, which did too good a job on 90% of them and backfired on the remaining 10%. I find it highly unlikely that stark raving mad zombies would manage to co-operate together to maintain a fleet. You’d also think that they would have tested the gas beforehand…

I’m willing to bet money that the anti-defamation league makes a comment about Mr. Universe.

Well, since it was mentioned that there were 30 million dead on the planet, that means there should have been at least 3 million newly born Reavers, more than enough to get a nice little murdering and raping space navy going.

Although the main trait assigned to Reavers is cannibalism, I think calling them “space zombies” is an oversimplification of their psychology. We know they’re still intelligent, just from the fact that they can operate spacecraft and other technology.

Personally, with the fact that they perform self-mutilation and routinely attack the normal population with little to gain, I imagine it’s more about an intense hatred of everything that hasn’t been corrupted like they have.

The cannibalism is probably much like raping in that it’s something that completely repulses the normals, hence something good in their twisted eyes.

Anyway, about mysteries in the show, I suspect there’s still plenty of plot points to feed any future movies. Just because we’ve got an explanation about River, doesn’t mean we have any real idea who or what the blue hand guys were. And even though he’s dead, there’s nothing to stop the crew getting involved with Reverand Book’s past.

I’ve always found the Reavers to be an fascinating, malevolent force in the 'verse, but a bit ridiculous under any scrutiny.

Every shot of the Reavers has them stark raving mad, full-on aggressive psychos.

Frankly, I can’t see them putting in the meticulous work to keep up the maintenance of their ships. Designing ships that act like big space pincers with scary Reaver style saw teeth. Organizing into a fully operational crew, etc. Where do they go for spare parts, mail order? Seems to me it’s often best to sit back and enjoy the ride without ruminating on some of the nitty gritty details much.

For the most part, I doubt they do any kind of real maintenance, outside of adding a few nasty bits here and there. Most of the ships floating around that planet seemed to be in bits and pieces, and I suspect they “build” their fleet merely by flying back a few ships they attack every so often.

Didn’t one of the series episodes say that the Reavers “reproduce” by taking one out of every so many people they attack and rape and mutilate them until they break down and become one?

With the ship stealing and all, I’d say they’re more like ultra-psychotic space pirates than space zombies.

I do wonder what Whedon was thinking when he conceived of them in the first place though. Then again, he’s never given more thought to his demons that, must look cool and act kinda scary in an ironic fashion.

Well, you could also assume that the shots of the Reavers in battle shows them in full-on bloodlust-psycho-rage mode, knowing that victims are close by. They’re probably not quite as insanely gibbering during their everyday existences on their ships.

They pretty explicitly had to “damage” their ship as part of the disguise. Tear off any hull pieces that wouldn’t risk breach, remove enough shielding to make the engine look shaky without frying them…

It’s pretty clear that the Reavers don’t take care of their ships. They replace them with whatever they capture.

The don’t have a fleet that can take on the alliance. They have a fleet that can take on a task group (or at least, hold their own for 20 minutes).

The gas made their aggression centers go batshit. Even folks who suffer from roid rage can be functional when not driven to rage. I suppose the question is why they didn’t get kill each other on the planet from the start.

The end space battle reminded me a lot of Space Quest, which blunts it’s impact.

Reverend Book’s death was saddening but not unexpected.

Wash’s death was a complete shock to the system, especially coming after the Reverend’s death - I’d mistakenly figured that Joss had gotten his main character killing impulse satisfied with Book.

I really enjoyed Serenity, and I’ll buy the DVD when it’s released, but I won’t be seeing it a second time in theatre. It just wasn’t that good. I’d wanted it to be, but it wasn’t.

Seeing Simon break River out was probably one of the most interesting “backstory” questions I’d wondered about.

This movie seems fairly conclusive. You can tell Joss wasn’t sure if it would be successful enough to spawn sequels, so he wrapped it up enough that if there is no more stories of Serenity’s crew we’d be OK. I appreciate the closure, but still hope that the box office and DVD sales are good enough to warrant a sequel or two. Even ‘good’ (as opposed to great) Serenity/Firefly is better than 90% of the shlock sci-fi that Hollywood churns out.

I’m glad to see that Jews still exist in the future. Mr. Universe breaking the glass at his wedding to his sexbot was hilarious.

I’m very jealous, Simon finally got lucky with Kayleigh. She looked GOOOOOD.

The Operative was a great foe. Absolutely unburdened by conscience and completely self-aware of his own monstrosity, he was worth watching. Mal being able to resist his nerve punch due to his war wound was an unexpected development that entertained.

Jayne became the source of the funniest one liners, supplanting Wash. This should have been a giveaway that Wash’s end was nigh.

Things that bothered me:

• Why didn’t The Operative merely attack the uplink system first before moving onto Mal? That would have accomplished his goal a lot more simply.
  • Moreena Baccarin (sp?) phoned it in. I didn’t find her performance particularly compelling.
  • THEY KILLED WASH!

Things I loved:

• Solid effects.
  • Finally learning Wash’s full name on his gravestone.
  • River kicking ass, ballet-style.

I’d give Serenity a 8 / 10. I liked it a lot, and want more, but I think it could have been… I dunno… more satisfying.

As shocking and pointless as Wash’s death seemed, it sure made the ending of the movie a hell of a lot more intense for me. That’s one big big boost from having seen the series and liked the characters, it was pretty gutwrenching.

When I saw the screening way back when, Joss was a few rows in front of me. If he had killed off Kaylee I’m not sure I would have been able to let him leave the theatre intact. :wink:

For every answer the movie provides, it only strengthens some questions.

For example, which is really the cuter mechanic:

Battlestar Galactica’s Cally or Serenity’s Kaylee

That’s not even a fuckin’ contest. Kaylee by miles.

My first reaction after watching Serenity:

THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS KILLED WASH!

Yeah, the Reaver-spike through Wash thing was totally unexpected, and poignant. I rather liked that his last words were “I am a leaf on the wind…”, it’s nicely poetic, even though it’s meant for humor value.

And yeah, Cally’s a cutie and all, but it’s just no contest between her and Kaylee - Cally’s not even in the same league as Kaylee, as far as I’m concerned. With Kaylee, it’s not just that she’s a cutie, but her character is just so earnest and bubbly, it’s endearing.

I had huge expecations going in and it was better than I thought. Solid 10 out of 10 for me. I had heard that someone dies, and Book’s death put me at ease, so Wash’s death was incredibly surprising.

I can’t see anyone enjoying it even half as much if they hadn’t seen the TV series. We get some great character development and connection to Mal and River, but no one else. I don’t think I’d care about anyone else if not for the TV show.

Oh, another thing, it was just so sad at the end seeing Mal piloting Serenity in Wash’s chair, and seeing all of Wash’s dinosaur figures sitting on the side of the console. :(

I’m a bit annoyed that The Operative told his men to hold their fire. Watching River dodge bullets would have been entertaining.

Perhaps Book was an operative in his past life…?

As I’m old enough to have big fan of Barney Miller, with Harris as my favorite character, I’m sorry to have seen his character killed off.

I loved it and I think people who haven’t seen the show will enjoy it if not really fall in love with the characters like a lot of us that watched the show did. Mal especially was played with great conviction by Nathan Fillion. He’s the star of the film and deserves a big career boost from this movie. He’s a true leading man.

Obviously killing some characters was unexpected. I fully believed that they’d all make it through if only because the goal was to do more after this.

All I can say is everyone needs to tell people to go see it. Tell them to go see it for the dialogue, for the people part of the film if for no other reason because like everything Joss, that’s what makes this movie work. These characters act like real people, which is so damn rare in movies. I really hope it does well.

–Dave

I’ve always thought that. It explains why the Alliance tripped over themselves to give him medical attention, why he knows about so much of the Alliance, even why he’s a Sheppard (whatever got him off the operative path could easilly ‘show him the light’).

Edit : Except the Operative has no ID, and Book did. Maybe Book just wasn’t quite as high ranking.

I thought they made that pretty clear, actually. I mean, it fits everything we know about him. Soft-spoken guy, never loses his cool, harbors a surprising proficiency for combat. We know from the series that he has some sort of super government clearance, just like the Operative uses in the beginning of the film. On top of that, he is able to tell Mal all about the Alliance’s operatives–the guys who are so secret that they don’t even have any official rank or status. And when Mal asks him how he knows so much about them, he comes back with a big “no comment.” Book was totally an operative. I’d still like to know the rest of his story… too bad he died.

Awesome movie, though. As much as I was looking forward to it, it still exceeded my expectations. And it totally wasn’t like a “long TV episode.” I mean, main characters dying, major plotlines getting resolved… I’m not sure what people are expecting out of a film that they didn’t find here.