Serenity - Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, fishing

This article has humongous spoilers, so stay away if you want to stay pure.

I gotta say that I had no urge to see this based on the trailer, but now that I know the spoiler, I actually want to see it.

I read the first paragraph before the spoiler warning and that was enough for me to decide maybe I’m going to catch this matinee tomorrow before I learn any more.

So…not what I was expecting…

So does Wash die in this one too?

whoop whoop whoop

Dude, spoilers.

Oh wow, this was magnificent.

I mean, it’s not a good movie, but I have always been in love with the idea of completely subverting the audience’s expectations, and the guts to pull this kind of bait-and-switch with the trailer and marketing compared to the actual film goes above and beyond anything I could’ve hoped for.

There has never been a movie more deserving of the question: “How did this get made?”

Who can persuade this talent to make an R-rated noir-ish looking movie that turns out to be what this turns out to be? It’s bonkers and I love it.

I didn’t know what the twist was, but as I said, the knowledge that there was apparently an outrageous twist is what made me go see this today. If you know going into it that there’s a twist, and that people are talking about just how crazy the twist is, I think you can guess it pretty early on–I did.

But before the twist is revealed, and even before I had guessed it, the movie already opens with a surreal tone that immediately put it at odds with the trailer. So I was hooked immediately.

This was amazing.

You made me look up spoilers, and I’m speechless. What the fuck did I just read? Thank Loki I don’t care about spoilers at all, otherwise I’d spend too much time and money on nonsense.

I just want to sit down with everyone I know, pull up the trailer on YouTube, and then start explaining.

“Now obviously this entire movie is taking place inside of a video game…”

I’m sitting in the theater. The credits are rolling.

HOW ON EARTH DID THIS GET MADE???

Just listened to the Waypoint podcast talking about this, and never have I been more glad to have a movie spoiled. Maybe not enough to watch it in a cinema, but it’s going straight on my rental queue.

Samesies! Not the kind of movie I would have gone to see in theaters anyway, but for sure I’ll catch it at home.

So the writer/director is also the guy who wrote/directed Eastern Promises.

What the hell???

No, he wrote Eastern Promises. David Cronenberg directed it. I had a serious wtf moment when I read that, and had to look it up to make sure.

In addition to Don Quixote’s correction, I think the more trenchant point about Steven Knight is that he wrote and directed Locke. Which is how I found myself sitting through this utterly ludicrous nonsense. Maybe Knight should stick to one actor in one car at a time.

-Tom

Did you know anything about what to expect in this movie?

I did not. Based on a headline I saw somewhere, I just knew there was something that could get spoiled if you read about it. And since it was the guy who wrote and directed Locke, I figured I better see it before anything got spoiled. We’re doing the podcast on it next week, and I can’t wait to hear what the other guys think of it.

-Tom

Oh man, that’s going to be a hell of an opsis

Yay! I didn’t expect this one to have enough interest to make it on the podcast; I guess I should get around to seeing Locke.