Serpent Isle Uncut Plot Docs

Why aren’t games like this being made?

http://home.insightbb.com/~chilliedog/Htm/ultima_7_part_2.htm

Notice Shamino is bested in Moonshade. Apparently the Banes were supposed to be taken down in their respected cities. Also look for the cut Claw Isle plot.

Ultima 7: The Black Gate and Ultima 7: The Serpent Isle were some of the best RPG’s ever made. It’s hard to compete with the depth and complexity of those games.

Why does TV suck?

Agreed. Whenever I’m asked what my favorite games of all time are, Ultima 7 always appears on the list.
I was incredibly disappointed with the directions Ultima 8 and Ultima 9 went, but spiritually I think Morrowind is the next best thing

I could never get into U7, but I utterly loved U7.5 Serpent Isle. I think they tweaked a few interface hangups I had with U7 with SI. Anyway, that game did rock so very hard.

I found a program last year that lets you run Serpent Isle on modern systems, and it worked fairly well. But this is a game that I would love to see just a sheer remake of.

Isn’t there one being done? Need to look into that.

Oh yeah, and don’t get me started about the Frigidazzi subplot :).

Great link, thanks for posting it.

Stefan

Morrowind is very different philosophically from Serpent Isle. Each approach has its strengths and weaknesses. In Serpent Isle you are on a rail, which you quickly figure out if you try to do something in a different order than the (gifted) designers anticipated. In Morrowind, they are at great pains to make sure you can do most of the sub-quests independently and in any order; unfortunately, that prevents any of the sub-quests (including the main one) from being all that deep. In Serpent Isle, you have to do all the tasks to advance the plot; in Morrowind most of the tasks only serve to enhance your character, which allows you to continue on with the plot, but there are also non-quest ways to enhance your character.

I wonder if they’ll ever try a RPG where the main antagonist is not canned but detects and responds to your presence and actions in the world something like a RTS. The setting world would be something like Morrowind–lots of history, established characters, and factions.

Just in case anyone was curious, this is the program:

http://exult.sourceforge.net

Works pretty well, and even uses some of the SI features in the original U7.

Really? It’s been a LONG time since I’ve played U7, but it always felt like you were on a main quest that you had to do in a specific order but you could do subquests at any point in time. I certainly remember picking up items that were useless until I hit a certain town and triggered the next point in the story

The main difference that sticks out in my mind is the core quest of U7 seemed very strong (obvious), whereas in Morrowind the core quest is overshadowed by the other things you can do (guild quests)

My original comment wasn’t meant to demean Morrowind - it was one of my favorite games from last year

If I’ve never played U7 before but want to now, is Exult the way to go? Or should I just stick with the original DOS version for maximum nostalgia? Will I even be able to get it to run on XP?

I hated 8 but was a fan of 9. 9 got a bad rap due to it’s extremely buggy release state, but the story is pretty good

“If I’ve never played U7 before but want to now, is Exult the way to go? Or should I just stick with the original DOS version for maximum nostalgia? Will I even be able to get it to run on XP?”

Get your hands on the Complete Ultima 7 (U7 & SI) and run it with Exult. Don’t even try running it in DOS as it will laugh at your mother and call you names. :P

“but it always felt like you were on a main quest that you had to do in a specific order but you could do subquests at any point in time”

Ultima 7 part 1 was like that in a certain sense but U7 part 2 was more linear. Personally I don’t think U7 compares with Morrowind much at all. As I wrote in another forum: there are no NPC schedules, no interesting characters, no painstaking interactivity with the environment, no engaging storyline that threads through almost every quest in the game, no party to help you along, and a horrible conversation system.

“I hated 8 but was a fan of 9”

Ultima 9 (sans bugs) was what I call - “Ultima Lite!” or “Ultima for Dummies” (no offense) but that’s another story.

I tried U9, fully patched, but within an hour got to a persistent crash state - opening a particular door crashed my system, and reloading from saved games, I still crashed at the same point.

From the first hour, it looked unspectacular, so I made no herculean efforts to get around the crash bug.

As much as everyone goes on about U3-7, Ultima 2 really held the magic for me. I think it was the first deep computer RPG I ever played. I’d love to play a modern game in the style of U2-U6.

Personally I think Gothic and Gothic 2 are the spiritual successors to Utlima 7. Gothic 2 is fantastic.