Settlers 7

It uses the forced online DRM done by Ubisoft. The demo is available at Fileplanet (it’s also available on the German website but the download is capped at 250kbs). The demo is pretty good, you get a one on one ‘skirmish’ and a sand box. This game is done by Blue Byte, the people who did Anno 1404:Dawn of Discovery, but this game has a more military aspect to it than Anno. The good news is that it’s still not an RTS. Also Bruce Shelley of Avalon Hill/Microprose/Ensemble Studios consulted on the project so I have high expectations.

This game is done by Blue Byte, the people who did Anno 1404

Anno 1404 was developed by Related Designs (PC) and Keen Games (Wii/DS) respectively.

Not according to the intro screen; it features Blue Byte pretty prominently. Also the wikipedia page also references Blue Byte, as well as the Mobygames page. There are a multitude of other links that verify that Blue Byte developed the PC version which would be the one I was discussing, since Settlers 7 is only for the PC.

I can guarantee you that the game was developed by Related Designs and Keen, regardless of what the pages you mentioned say. They even won some German Developer Awards. Blue Byte was involved more or less as a coordinator/producer, but the main work was done by Related and Keen.

Julian is correct.

Ubi bought (at least) the Anno franchise from Sunflowers. I don’t remember all the details which went through the press. Sunflowers also held 30% of Related Designs, the studio responsible for Anno since the 3rd game. It’s more than likely Ubi took that over too, because RD has a proven track record.

Blue Byte has been swallowed many years ago. It’s possible Ubi decided to market all their German games under the internationally more well-known Blue Byte name.

Keen is an experienced outsourcing studio for console conversions. Their homepage confirms they made several Anno games for Nintendo platforms.

I’d be interested in picking this up, but I just can’t with the DRM that’s there. And I find it objectionable to buy the game and have to rely on a pirate crack in order to get around it.

I haven’t tried a Settlers game before and previously had thought this one one would be my first entry. Ah well, perhaps someday Ubisoft will rethink their current DRM implementation at which point they’ll pick up at least one sale.

how the demo? i don’t know if i want to try it, end up liking it, then not getting it due to the DRM.

The ultimate settlers is settlers 2 anniversary. The only reason to favour any other would be settlers and settlers 2 for its super cute pixel art.

Go play the anniversary demo whether or not you try 7’s.

Speaking of which I’m going to go download the 7 demo now, but they won’t be getting money until the drm is gone.

The demo is really good, but you have to be online to play it. You create an account, log into the account and then you can play.

I plan on buying it. I hope someone else will buy it too, so I can get some almost certainly needed help.

I have also taken the stand that I will not buy any of Ubi’s games because of the DRM.

Same here.

Wow, that demo was a blast! I’ve never played a Settlers game before, but this feels like the perfect melding of German board game style and RTS. I will most likely pick this up. So far the biggest disappointment has been no saving even in single player games. I hope that changes on the release version because having no means to pause the game is a bit of a drag. Also, I sincerely doubt I can help you, since so far a lot of it is over my head and just barely starting to clear up after two games.

I’m sure you’ll be able to save in the full version. I decided to stop playing the demo so I wouldn’t get frustrated. Tuesday is not that far away.

/signed.

Word up, G.

I mean…me too.

Doing anything else would be supporting a business decision i disagree with. If i buy this i would be like saying “I’m a dirty pirate who doesn’t deserve trust, its a good job your drm beat me and now I happily buy your game”.

When the reality is more “Hello, I am a paying customer, i have paid for every single settlers title, ever. I love the design of the games but i refuse to buy a product which offers poor value. By having a constant internet requirement and forcing me to pray your internet is up too. You have massively reduced the value of your game settlers 7. Please adjust the price, improve the value by removing the drm or fail to recieve a penny of my money. Thanks”.

Guys, there are two other threads to discuss the DRM. Can we move the discussion back to one of those? And let the two of us talk about the game? Please???

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=57327 is the most recent. Thank you.

Ubisoft acquired Sunflowers in 2007 according to MobyGames.

Ubisoft acquired Blue Byte in 2001 according to MobyGames.

I feel the same way. Except for the graphics, The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary is the best Settlers game available at this time due to “other considerations.”

You could quicksave in the beta so they must have just taken it out for the demo. I’ll be picking this up but probably not this week. Grapplechuting comes first.