Settlers 7

I went through the first six missions and then moved on to the skirmish.

I wouldn’t stop there. Moving further is a challenge of resource utilization.

I’m not running any antivirus software.

Like I said, my system is entirely clean of anything running. I’ve checked the process manager, and there is nothing but the barebones necessary processes for XP to function properly.

The only things I have running are steam, Settlers 7 and the ubi launcher DRM thing.

I find that statement kind of insulting. I despise Tea Party activists as most of them are ignorant, selfish, racist jerks.

However in this case there are thousands of good people who’ve purchased UBISoft products for years who are affected. Military units in Afghanistan, people who are sick and in hospitals or LTC care, people on vacation, people who are traveling and can’t get free Internet, anyone in a 2nd or 3rd world country, those of us with crappy Internet because of a broadband monopoly.

I’ve said this a hundred times, but I bet if UBIsoft released sales data on Silent Hunter 5 you’d find out they are much worse off using this “DRM to drive sales” than they were before. I bet if Blue Byte released this through any other publisher with less stupid DRM it would have sold better. I for one, would have bought it.

In fact, UBIsoft’s silence only suggests sales are far worse than they’d hoped and those in charge of releasing sales data are looking for who next to blame for their stupidity.

ArmA2 sold more than ArmA1 and has ZERO copy protection now - other than just a Serial Number request upon installation. If UBIsoft was right, how can this be possible? Especially when part of their biggest market is in “pirate laden Eastern Europe & Russia”?

Sorry to spout, but flyingj, I’m sure your problems are due to the game not syncing with the call’s home. There was another game I had the exhibited this exact same behavior (random DRM calls home killed performance, then applying a CD/crack fixed it), but I can’t remember what game it was. Might have been Silent Hunter 3 and Starforce… or a different game, but with your system specs you shouldn’t be having that problem.

once again, sorry for the rant.

I believe your solution has arrived. Dig around.

Now that a working crack is available, it might be a good time to buy this. Imagine if sales of this game actually increase dramatically now that a valid pirating option has become available. Wouldn’t that send an awesome signal to Ubisoft? Also, you no longer need to be connected to the internet to play the game. I would also like to mention that the Settlers 6, the previous installment, is an excellent but underrated game and deserves more love.

Nice! I’m going to try it out as soon as I get home.

My friend had that problem with the Steam version of the first Assassin’s Creed. Applied crack, problems solved. He’d get horrible, massive performance slowdown at certain key parts… the parts where the game was phoning home, according to him. This was sometime last year, though, dunno if they ever removed/fixed it.

Well, chalk up a lost sale due to the DRM. I was scouting around for a fun simulation/management game, saw this on Impulse, then saw the Ubi DRM and decided against it.

I’ll wait for it to eventually ship without the DRM, though by then something new and shiny will probably take my attention.

I doubt it. Resource management doesn’t ever get more fun than this.

New patch a couple days ago:

Updates to The Settlers 7 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Version 1.05

Improvements
Event sectors for which players have gained free passage (by finishing quests) are now indicated on the overview map by a free passage icon
Added a warning icon to construction buildings whose constructor cannot spawn due to a missing tool
Added a warning icon to special buildings where trainings stalls due to the population or army limit
The handling of the logistics menu has been improved. A left click on a task will now open a context menu which allows the player to move the task to the front of the panel, pause it or cancel it altogether
Added information about the player’s position as well as improved navigation options to the leader board screen
Added the option to change the game’s default port if a router does not separate two connections correctly:

Add these lines to your “Options.ini” file (C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\Settlers7\Options.ini)

[Network]
DefaultPort = 9205

The default value is 9103 - anything else should do

Bug Fixes

Fixed a concurrency issue during account authentication (first login)
Fixed various random crashes
Fixed a rare crash when activating the earthquake
Fixed a bug that prevented achievements from being unlocked
Fixed a possible exploit with retreating armies delaying the conquest of a sector
Fixed a bug with the calculation of coins rewarded for completing a map
Fixed a bug with player profile points being reset
Blazing Heat: Adjusted amount of units in a neutral sector

New Content
Enjoy the sixth and eighth campaign map optimized for skirmish and multiplayer:
Wolffelden
Sandbeken

Pretty sweet, especially the exploit fix as I’ve seen that in several multiplayer games.

And the coin fix might explain why I was getting only 1 gold coin for some of my campaign map finishes.

Still waiting for the map editor but these are nice.

Settlers 7 is 50% off ($29.99 for the Gold Edition which includes the DLC, $24.99 without) on Impulse this weekend. Not sure about Steam yet.

Ubi-DRM still applies.

And will forever. The UBISoft DRM is here to stay. The problems will come in 3-5 years for the current batch of games; ie: Splinter Cell: Conviction, Settlers 7, Assassin’s Creed II, etc…

$25 is a great price, honestly. I put in a lot of hours with the campaign and multiplayer.

I still stand by my comments, best RTS game of 2010.

Pretty sure they removed it from RUSE prior to release, no?

Still waiting for them to patch it out of Settlers 7. The $25 pricepoint is nice, but… no sale.

+1

I’ll buy Settlers 7 when the DRM is gone. Until then, it’s no sale, even at $1.99.

Yeah because buying something at $1.99 totally shows big bad Ubi how willing you are to deal with DRM.

No, it shows that I have principles. Is that an unfamiliar concept to you?

Principles, you mean. And I suppose Blue Byte should also be punished for being bought by Ubi. That meshes in with your principles, right?